• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst Closed Beta Thread | Didn't Get An Email? Keep Faith

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
So from a speedrunning perspective, what's the best way to use Shift? Sidestepping (since it doesn't turn you) doesn't seem to do much. It *does* seem to ramp you up to max speed either quicker or even instantaneously, so is it best to use it after *any* move that brings you below max? Climbing walls, out of a roll, etc.?

Yeah, going back up to speed after any action that slows Faith down is how I've mostly been using it. And while it doesn't turn you, you can use a Shift to 'drift' around a corner (whip your mouse in the direction you want to change to and side Shift the last bit of distance). Especially useful for sudden direction changes near edges since Faith can't fall when using a Shift action.

Alright so I know this is a slow moving thread, but I'd really appreciate answers to these questions --

1) Why the fuck am I struggling to complete basic deliveries and time trials? I feel like I know the mechanics well enough (and I played a ton of ME last gen) but there has to be intricacies I'm missing. My biggest issue is usually recovering from long falls. I time a roll, but it kills all my speed. I guess I don't really understand what "shift mechanics" are. I know it makes you immune to bullets and helps you flank enemies, but what else? Any advice on going faster for longer would be appreciated.

2) How much of the game is available here? Seems like waaaayyy more than a usual Beta. I mean, I've already put in a few hours and I still have unexplored content.

3) The introduction was breathtaking and absolutely brilliant. Doesn't anyone else wish the rest of the game was like that? It set the standard for the game very high, and my experience after that didn't live up to it, unfortunately.

Thank you

1) Have you unlocked Coil and Quickturn too? Getting all the movement skills available definitely helps. I found myself struggling to pass a lot of deliveries until I'd gone through the missions and earned enough EXP for all the movement options.

You'll want to avoid using Skill Rolls as much as possible. Only roll when there's a drop that would otherwise cause a hard landing... if you can find alternate routes that avoid long falls, even better.

The beta doesn't really explain it well, but from what I can gather you're actually referring to 2 separate mechanics here - Shift (WASD+M2, which allows you to quickly dodge in any direction) and Focus (the long gauge in the bottom left that fills up when you maintain high speed, when it's full you're unhittable). See my response to Feep above about uses for Shift.

2) The beta has a limited number of areas (only 2 out of a rumored total 10), story missions (4 out of a rumored 16-20), and skills available.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Yeah, going back up to speed after any action that slows Faith down is how I've mostly been using it. And while it doesn't turn you, you can use a Shift to 'drift' around a corner (whip your mouse in the direction you want to change to and side Shift the last bit of distance). Especially useful for sudden direction changes near edges since Faith can't fall when using a Shift action.

1) Have you unlocked Coil and Quickturn too? Getting all the movement skills available definitely helps. I found myself struggling to pass a lot of deliveries until I'd gone through the missions and earned enough EXP for all the movement options.

You'll want to avoid using Skill Rolls as much as possible. Only roll when there's a drop that would otherwise cause a hard landing... if you can find alternate routes that avoid long falls, even better.

The beta doesn't really explain it well, but from what I can gather you're actually referring to 2 separate mechanics here - Shift (WASD+M2, which allows you to quickly dodge in any direction) and Focus (the long gauge in the bottom left that fills up when you maintain high speed, when it's full you're unhittable). See my response to Feep above about uses for Shift.

2) The beta has a limited number of areas (only 2 out of a rumored total 10), story missions (4 out of a rumored 16-20), and skills available.

Thank you so much! As far as shifting goes, what direction do you shift in to regain speed? I saw Feep mention a sidestep but that doesn't make a bunch of sense to me.

This guy was taking a shit?

CgyqMyuW4AAp0HL.jpg

When you've gotta go, you've gotta go.

It's really easy to complain about sequels, so here I go!

- must unlock basic skills
- open world means going through the same areas over and over
- loading times are abysmal

- too many stupid fucking collectibles and shit
- too much text & menus

My two main complaints in bold. Loading times are way too long and it breaks the immersion (it's supposed to be a running game so if you want the player to keep feeling the pressure and the need to rush to escape then don't put 30 sec loading times).
And regarding open world I hope it'll be big enough so we don't feel going in the same places over and over... (sadly it already feels like this in the beta and the art style amplifies it even if it's still a big part of the game's charm).

Still want to buy the game but they can adjust a few things to make it even better.

edit: thanks again Ozorov for the code ;)

Playing the PC beta, here's what I'm getting as far as performance numbers running fraps from the open window in the lair straight to the end of the first set of buildings through the construction zone and looping back along the balconies/catwalks and back through the lair to the window again.Time of day is morning to late morning. NPC placement, time of day are pretty much all that changed between runs.

i7 4790k stock speeds
GTX 770 4GB factory overclock
16GB ddr3 1866 ram
1920x1080
364.72 driver

Benchmarks
Low - Avg: 132.708 - Min: 94 - Max: 200
Medium - Avg: 90.274 - Min: 64 - Max: 129
High - Avg: 73.669 - Min: 54 - Max: 100
Ultra - Avg: 57.370 - Min: 37 - Max: 87

E-flux

Okay, i played through the beta and without comparing it to the first one, i don't like it at all how Faith feels to control, she seems to have no weight at all. Also the mission "flow like water" makes no sense at all, if you fail to knock out the guards while moving or if you try to ignore them the game just fails you since you didn't keep up the flow. On top of the movement not feeling that great it doesn't help that there's a new breaker box to open every few feet. Those floating abstract balls are fine since you don't need to stop to collect them but everything else is just a hassle to collect.

Okay, i played through the beta and without comparing it to the first one, i don't like it at all how Faith feels to control, she seems to have no weight at all. Also the mission "flow like water" makes no sense at all, if you fail to knock out the guards while moving or if you try to ignore them the game just fails you since you didn't keep up the flow. On top of the movement not feeling that great it doesn't help that there's a new breaker box to open every few feet. Those floating abstract balls are fine since you don't need to stop to collect them but everything else is just a hassle to collect.

The "flow like water" mission is teaching you to use the weak attack while landing on the guards and stuff as that doesn't stop your momentum. As opposed to using the strong attack they taught previously which stuns them and slows you. I failed it the first time as it wasn't clear to me either.

Blizzard

Banned
That mission seems odd because it's basically a tutorial mission outside of the normal tutorial area, and they're forcing you to practice chaining light-attacks.

E-flux

The "flow like water" mission is teaching you to use the weak attack while landing on the guards and stuff as that doesn't stop your momentum. As opposed to using the strong attack they taught previously which tuns them and slows you. I failed it the first time as it wasn't clear to me either.

I got that it was teaching it but i have a feeling that that is going to be one of the mission types in the open world.

Just noticed there are black climbing wall handholds in the hallway outside of the bedroom/barracks in the Lair that you can climb and a pole you can swing from.

I like the potential the open world provides and the ability to slow down and take in the artistry of everything but enjoy the level design of the original better so far. But that's to be expected when going this route I suppose.

E-flux

That mission seems odd because it's basically a tutorial mission outside of the normal tutorial area, and they're forcing you to practice chaining light-attacks.

Yeah, i was just thinking that those missions are probably just going to be about maintaining "flow", i wonder why they didn't use those training holograms for the mission.

Sean

Banned
It's weird, the one aspect I was absolutely certain they'd deliver on was the graphics and that ended up being my biggest complaint. Jaggies, poor texture, poor framerate. This stuff sticks out a lot more cause of the clean and minimal art style that Mirror's Edge has. I prefer the more bright and vibrant look of the first game.

Still I'm glad to have this game, the movement and traversal stuff is still a lot of fun.

Is there a video of these Shift mechanics? Sounds very interesting.

krang

This beta has made me realise something. I only really enjoy open world games when that world is exceptionally-created. Rockstar, Assassin's Creed, Forza Horizon, for example, while you might question the game as a story, their worlds are exquisite. Unfortunately, Catalyst feels like an open map with some token gestures of a living city. It feels cold and empty, not living and breathing. I'm just not buying into it :-(

Skrams

Is the Magrope unlockable in the beta? it says to finish the Savant Extraordinaire mission but i did and it didn't unlock lol

No?

Whenever I go to the Savant Extraordinaire mission point it says, "Thanks for playing the beta!" It doesn't let me start it up at least. If you were able to do the mission then that would be weird.

Recorded a few vids of interesting routes I found for some of the Dashes:

High Roller Avenue - 00:40:19
Birdman's Route - 00:32:63
Backstreet Bluff - 00:40:38

If anyone wants to add me on Origin (ExMachina13), would love to race!
Great videos! Been watching quite a few Dash speedruns:
JackinToshh: Birdman Dash in 00:23:75 (World Record)
For The Gamers: Concrete Canyon Dash - 7th in the World | Mirror's Edge Catalyst - 29.03
bazman: HIGH ROLLER AVENUE DASH | - 37.71

Didn't know you could do a slide roll and backwards roll: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxkRRa3hJyw

The coil looks great and hilarious when finishing with it.
z_by_digi_matrix-da05t7i.gif

red731

Graphics aren't horrible, but bad enough, the performance is horrible on PC, but people comparing this to Battlefront need to realize that Battlefront's assets were created by using photogrammetry and this...is well by hand.

Odd, V-sync was working fine, then went into the "back in the game" mission cutscene where Noah and Icarus are playing Go (oddly this cutscene was locked at 37fps) now vsync isn't working for the mission.

Saladinoo

I'm so undecided about this game, I think it feels, and looks, great, over and above the first, which was also excellent in these aspects. I think I do take issue with the open world aspect though. I think that's more my 'open world fatigue' however - when I think about it logically, it does suit this game - offers tonnes of opportunity to use some really cool free-running moves to traverse, which feels excellent, but I can't shake it feeling a bit 'samey'. It may be due to the art style, everything looks more or less the same, perhaps if there was a bit of variation in art / colour between different areas it would be more tolerable.

SliChillax

Played the PS4 version.

I liked the combat and speed but everything else is subpar.

Graphics are abysmal. From amazing Battlefront to this PS2 era city:

Textures are sometimes missing which I guess it's either a bug or they did it intentionally to keep the size down? Sometimes even buildings in the distance disappear.

teokrazia

I've tried to 'stress the system', searching for a taste of what happens in case of emergency. On my escape route I was 'threaten' by the same 4 broken dumb guys, popping here and there.

DICE please, don't waste your time with combat and sandboxy things. I appreciate that you are trying to challenge me somehow making enforcers aimbotting even when facing the opposite direction or let them hit me with melee at distance of 3 meters, but it's not your cup of tea. I need just acceptable performance and lot of time trials.

Interesting, my anticipation continues.
I worry about tiring of the running back and forth, especially around the same few buildings collecting tasks.
That and I hope the story & performances are good.. Of which I am not confident.
They probably should fix the coil so you don't bunny hop around in time trials, though. That shit's a bit goofy.
Agreed

It runs fine on my system but the cutscenes have constant stutter, anyone else noticing this? Also vsync disengages after a cutscene aswell :(

krang

It runs fine on my system but the cutscenes have constant stutter, anyone else noticing this? Also vsync disengages after a cutscene aswell :(

The cut scene stuttering is common on all platforms, apparently. I see it all the time on XB1. I'm not hopeful with regard to performance in this game.

munroe

Couple of questions, is it possible to break wooden boards? There's a place where there's some large wooden boards blocking an opening in a window, they turn red but you can't seem to do anything with them

Also I hope they improve the evade threat sections, there doesn't appear to be any consequences, no more guards appear just a helicopter that hovers around you and tells you to halt.

Mman235

Cool, Nvidia's shit current drivers that were forced on me to play this crashed my system as usual, and that somehow corrupted the save (even though it was mid time trial where there's no reason for that to happen). I really wanted to explore the mechanics and try and get some #1 times but I don't think I'll bother now I have to replay everything and there's a chance it'll happen again. I've already seen enough to be sold on it anyway.

Guess I should report this if there's a chance it could happen in the full game (and if Nvidia drivers are still broken by then).

A-V-B

Also I hope they improve the evade threat sections, there doesn't appear to be any consequences, no more guards appear just a helicopter that hovers around you and tells you to halt.

Sounds like a bug? Evade sections have TONS of dudes popping out, from both doors and the chopper.

I had issues on PS4 this morning where I would litterally be stopped running, loosing all momentum in that first Birdman test.

I've seen textures not load also on characters. This is definetly a beta.

BUUUT... I love the game right now. Can't wait till june.

Has anyone worked out whether the races give you enough distance to get up to speed before the start line where the timer starts? I feel like I always want to back up a bit so I can make sure I'm moving at top speed when I cross the start line, but maybe if you Shift from the default start position you don't need any extra run up?

Catvoca

Banned
I kind of think I've got my fill of Mirrors Edge just from the beta. Like there's so much content in this thing that even though I've enjoyed all of it I'm not itching to play any more. I've maybe spent as much time in the beta as I did beating ME1 the first time.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Anyone with a beefy PC, like with a 980ti or something have impressions of this?

I watched the giant bomb quick look on PC and the graphics looked amazing and it ran at 60fps, but then i look at screens in here from ps4 and holy crap it doesnt look that hot.

Warriorr

Neo Member
After spending more or less 10 hours with the Beta, I really wish they would work on the graphics. They look quite bad on PS4. I know it's just a Beta but the buildings textures are really ugly.

Enjoyed everything else but wouldn't mind another 2-3 months delay.

The game plays great. Love the tweaks to the controls. However I will say this is a series where I could take or leave the open world. As long as the level design is top notch I never felt it needed it. But it will eventually be fun to just turn off runners vision and free run the city.

Can't fucking wait for the full game!

Came across major bugs (PC ver)

the map started not loading stuff, textures stopped loading.. the further i went to birdman the graphics were failing. it was weird.

the game seems alright though.

Catdaddy

The delivery where you need to climb the pipe at the end is nigh-on impossible...

The one for the dude in the suit? I think it was less than a minute?

If thats the one, finally got it after several tries and I think the game gave me the benefit of the doubt, cleared the pipe around 2-3 seconds and made it somehow.when I thought it was a fail.

I hope they consider difficulty settings or ratings for these... I typically hated timed stuff but my reflexes aren't what they use to be...

Top Bottom