• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update breaks Xbox One controller drivers.

Nzyme32

No controller problems here, but the only controller I'm using is the Steam Controller. There were people saying the same thing for it when the update happened, but not heard anything since

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
My Xbox One S bluetooth controller is broken even before the update. Right & Left Bumper + xbox button doesn't work in big picture steam.

If it's Microsoft, you can bet on it.

Yes why would a highly publicized major update to the most widely used PC gaming OS breaking a popular gaming input device built by the same company (while claiming to have a renewed focus on targeting PC gamers) be of any interest to a gaming forum.

derExperte

Does anyone not have 2 controllers in Steam BPM with a wireless dongle'd XB1 controller?

Does Dragon's Dogma work properly for anyone with the same config post update?

Some games seem to cope, South Park and Talos Principle for example.

I see two but other than in your screenshot the second entry says Controller (Xbox One for Windows). What are the other games you're having issues with? Maybe I've just been lucky so far.

I see two but other than in your screenshot the second entry says Controller (Xbox One for Windows). What are the other games you're having issues with? Maybe I've just been lucky so far.
Dragon's Dogma and Tabletop Racing don't work. South Park, Talos and Megadrive Collection do. They're the only games I'm playing/have installed.

Banned
This is the most entertaining update of all time.

I used my wired controller yesterday. Not sure if I updated automatically to the anniversary version though.

Oh and while I'm in a complainy mood. It fucking reset my Nvidia control panel settings. It's not like Nvidia don't like to do that on new driver installs either.

OS updates on a gaming machine, PC or console = bad news bears.

KingBroly

Banned
This is the most entertaining update of all time.

I used my wired controller yesterday. Not sure if I updated automatically to the anniversary version though.

I wouldn't call completely breaking PC's, HDD's, drivers and software entertaining.

ESPECIALLY when it happens to you. It happened to me, and it PISSES me off so much.

Banned
I wouldn't call completely breaking PC's, HDD's, drivers and software entertaining.

ESPECIALLY when it happens to you. It happened to me, and it PISSES me off so much.
I know your twitter feed has been nothing but that. Sorry, fam.

RexNovis

Banned
Where is Rex with all his concern and conspiracy theories?

I was sleeping.

So basically they're at the very least incompetent instead of being malicious in this instance. I mean that's better than being malicious but it's not exactly worthy of praise either. It's still an unnecessary complication that needn't exist were they to actually implement a configurable interface in the OS like other OSs have at this point. But whatever. I'm going to continue to suspect the worst when it comes to their actions and if y'all want to prod or vilify me for it go right ahead.

iGeodude

Everything is working fine with my controller. In fact, this update actually fixed a couple of issues I had like not being able to navigate the menus in FFXIII PC.

I guess just make sure you have the newest controller firmware.

I'm having a very specific issue and I hope someone can help. So I have the new Xbox one controller (connected to wireless receiver) with the controller companion app. The app is supposed to auto-disable when entering big picture mode but it's not doing that, meaning it still controls like a mouse in big picture, it seems to work fine when I load up a game. Does that mean big picture isn't going into full screen properly or something?

Yes why would a highly publicized major update to the most widely used PC gaming OS breaking a popular gaming input device built by the same company (while claiming to have a renewed focus on targeting PC gamers) be of any interest to a gaming forum.

Only it clearly didn't break the contoller, which you can see by reading this thread. Some people are having issues and some are not. It's not really a surprise for such a large OS update that people would experience problems with it. These things happen with every update of everything ever. But hey, I guess all the controllers are broken except for mine, and the other people here who are having no problems.

Dsyndrome

Only it clearly didn't break the contoller, which you can see by reading this thread. Some people are having issues and some are not. It's not really a surprise for such a large OS update that people would experience problems with it. These things happen with every update of everything ever. But hey, I guess all the controllers are broken except for mine, and the other people here who are having no problems.

Everyone that uses DS4's on PC now have messed up Exclusive Mode due to the HID enumeration introduced with the update, it's feasible that other controllers, including MS's, would be as well, in the case of the OP.

For people that say their controllers work fine, how does it work in Dark Souls or Witcher 3 or other games that require exclusive mode usage? Not saying they shouldn't work, just curious.

I'll have to check this when I get home. I haven't plugged in my XO controller since upgrading to the Anniversary Update.

Everyone that uses DS4's on PC now have messed up Exclusive Mode due to the HID enumeration introduced with the update, it's feasible that other controllers, including MS's, would be as well, in the case of the OP.

For people that say their controllers work fine, how does it work in Dark Souls or Witcher 3 or other games that require exclusive mode usage? Not saying they shouldn't work, just curious.

I didn't even know Sony had drivers out for the ds4 on pc. But for the games you mentioned my Xbox one controller works fine. Good questions tho, especially about the HID enumeration.

Ha! Very clever Microsoft! Breaking your own drivers just to cover your own tracks and hide your ultimate agenda! I'm not falling for it, and you guys shouldn't to!
#SweenyWasRight
#WakeUpSheeple
#Tinfoil

I do not.

You probably should just reinstall the driver.

Do you have the latest Xbox One Controller firmware installed from the Xbox Accessories app? Which revision of the controller do you have? I have the original revision and the controller is definitely doing some funky stuff for me only when connected wirelessly (Steam Big Picture double input, double input in Dragon's Dogma). I may try doing a clean install of Windows 10 Anniversary sometime later today to test this stuff out.

watdaeff4

I was sleeping.

So basically they're at the very least incompetent instead of being malicious in this instance. I mean that's better than being malicious but it's not exactly worthy of praise either. It's still an unnecessary complication that needn't exist were they to actually implement a configurable interface in the OS like other OSs have at this point. But whatever. I'm going to continue to suspect the worst when it comes to their actions and if y'all want to prod or vilify me for it go right ahead.

Not trying to vilify you.

You and your anti-MS bias (amongst others) is pretty comical. I'm entertained by your ramblings.

(see the post I quoted)

ClearData

I'm seeing some weird movement when I tried to browse my Steam library with the new Bluetooth controller. Using the d-pad would skip a row when pressing up or down in Big Picture mode.

Prior to that trying to pair the controller crashed my laptop and Windows actually disabled my Bluetooth because the "device reported problems."

Last thing was with shutdown. The new controller doesn't seem to shut off when my system does. Something I'm used to on Xbox. The guide button just keeps flashing. Any tips so I don't needlessly drain my battery?

The implicit question I was responding to was what makes an issue threadworthy or not, and while there's no clear hard and fast line, the answer is pretty obviously not going to be "only if it happens to every single user in the world." The additional implication that it must actually be because the board has an anti-MS bias intent on disseminating FUD about all things Microsoft, as opposed to providing an easily updatable source of information for those affected by the problem to compare reports, evidence, and help diagnose the issue, just made the post that much more ridiculous.

chadskin

If Steam is showing 2 XInput controllers then it is most likely busted in certain games (like Dragon's Dogma).

Don't people who have issues in games like DD also have issues in Steam BPM? Because that works smoothly for me just like before.

As far as games specifically go, I've only played Rise of the Tomb Raider since the update and didn't encounter any issues.

El Sabroso

only steam big picture register 2 xinput devices on my end, device manager shows 1, games I have tested are using just 1

llE9XEG.jpg

still steam big picture identifies my Xbox One pad as the one up in the screenshot

Don't people who have issues in games like DD also have issues in Steam BPM? Because that works smoothly for me just like before.

As far as games specifically go, I've only played Rise of the Tomb Raider since the update and didn't encounter any issues.

Oh if Steam Big Picture is working fine for you then never mind. Still weird it is showing 2 controllers though.

sensui-tomo

so even with this update it doesnt fix that Right trigger from sometimes always activating in certain games?. wish there was a way to fix that, while using their headset and/or wireless.

shaowebb

Heh...remember that thread about how Microsoft will slowly roll out updates that make the steam store work worse and worse to try and drive folks towards gaming on their marketplace? Yeah, it seems pretty doable after this.

Just plugged in my XO controller. Everything is working fine. It's recognized by both Windows and Big Picture.

Big Picture does recognize it as two controllers for some reason. The controller vibrates when I click the first one though, so that's the correct one for me. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+ works perfectly.

Heh...remember that thread about how Microsoft will slowly roll out updates that make the steam store work worse and worse to try and drive folks towards gaming on their marketplace? Yeah, it seems pretty doable after this.

Remember how that thread had no actual proof to accompany the claim? Yeah.

RexNovis

Banned
Not trying to vilify you.

You and your anti-MS bias (amongst others) is pretty comical. I'm entertained by your ramblings.

(see the post I quoted)

Its hard not to be "biased" when it comes to an OS that deleted a substantial amount of my hard work and led to a lot unnecessary stress and additional labor. Nor is it wise to dismiss skepticism of companies with proven track records of underhanded business tactics as "ramblings." So while I'm not objective (something which I never claimed to be by the way nor is it strictly speaking possible as we all have our biases) neither is giving the benefit of the doubt to an entity that has repeatedly proven to be unworthy of it. What you find entertaining I consider being diligent.

Funnily enough going by this thread and the other thread it seems like some compatibility issues are actually specifically with the steam API. Big picture mode specifically seems to be causing issues with controllers now if posts here are to be believed.

Breaks?

It was never damned fixed. I STILL have to unplug and replug the wireless adapter in for it to sync. Every. Single. Time.

I'm fed up with it.

Top Bottom