• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update breaks Xbox One controller drivers.

lazerfox

I haven't gotten this update despite me having Windows 10 Pro, hasn't MS released this worldwide yet?

I also didn't get it so I had to install it manually. I want to play H5: Forge and Forza Horizon 3 so I guess I have no other choice.
I hope this update doesn't break my controller drivers.

You can update to Windows 10 Anniversary from here.

Bumping because of something that was just released in the current Windows Insider Fast Ring

We have fixed the issue which prevented the wireless network adapter in Surface Pro 1 and Surface Pro 2 devices from working. This also fixes the issue with the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows not working. and other wireless network adapters from third-parties such as D-Link.

This could be something we've been waiting for.

mintyice

So my Xbox One controller won't work on Windows 10 but it works perfectly on Windows 7. It recognizes my wireless adapter, and I am able to sync my controller, but no buttons work, and the Xbox Accessories app doesn't recognize a controller as being on.

When I first got the Xbox Accessories app, it started a firmware update for the controller, but it crashed so I don't think it finished. I went back to my Win7 install and the controller works there, so it isn't bricked.

I've tried plugging it in via USB and that doesn't seem to work either.

I've tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them with no luck.

Any advice?

I'm having a weird issue with my controller that started this week and I'm not sure what's caused it.
After a reboot, my pad works fine wirelessly using the adapter, but once it's powered down after not being used for a while, it won't pair again. Well actually, it pairs for a second then shuts down.
Any ideas? I have the anniversary update.

amrod

I'm having a weird issue with my controller that started this week and I'm not sure what's caused it.
After a reboot, my pad works fine wirelessly using the adapter, but once it's powered down after not being used for a while, it won't pair again. Well actually, it pairs for a second then shuts down.

OMG SAME PROBLEM!!!

and it started this week too, Xbox one Elite Wireless

A reboot of the pc seems to fix it, but annoying as hell

Schlorgan

I had the same problem with The Division a week ago that I was having months ago (wired), the same fix that I used then still worked. They need to get on that.

Just to add to this - it seems it does pair for a second, then immediately loses it. Works fine after a reboot, then as soon as the pad it turned of, either manually or after a while of not being used, it won't turn on again without a reboot.
Really frustrating. At least reboots are quick these days!

Everyone seems to be having different problems, but mine (wireless one I got with my Oculus) fixed and has been perfect since I removed the wireless dongle and plugged the control in with the usb cable.

The little device installation thing started automatically and fixed what was broke.

alarre1

Neo Member
Just to add to this - it seems it does pair for a second, then immediately loses it. Works fine after a reboot, then as soon as the pad it turned of, either manually or after a while of not being used, it won't turn on again without a reboot.
Really frustrating. At least reboots are quick these days!

Try disabling the power management settings for the controller in device manager. Uncheck "allow the computer to turn off..." and it shouldn't unpair anymore.

Try disabling the power management settings for the controller in device manager. Uncheck "allow the computer to turn off..." and it shouldn't unpair anymore.

Tried that - doesn't fix it, sadly.

I also have a new problem - with a headset plugged in to the controler I can get sound to play though it, but the microphone doesn't seem to work. When I go to configure it, it's registering pressing the volume up and down buttons as a sound but nothing from the microphone.

I assume you've updated the controller's firmware in the Xbox Accessories app (or on a real Xbox) and replaced the batteries with a fresh set?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Just wanted to chime in, having the exact same issue of the controller will connect on a reboot of the whole system, but soon as it powers down it wont reconnect. It'll flash once, then dim the xbox light for a 1/2 second, then go dead.

Its not batteries, put brand new ones in (plus it will work fine on first connect after a reboot)
Its not firmware, have checked on both the xbox app and by reconnecting it to my xbox one s, it has the latest firmware
ITs not the controller, connects fine to my xbox one and works perfectly.

I also have never had any problems with this controller until right now. My computer updated it self a few days ago and sense then, this issue has came up.

Edit:

The plot thickens.. I tested the exact same wireless adapter and Controller on my laptop, same driver versions, same windows version (fully updated Windows 10 Aniversary), everything the exact saem... except no issues what so ever with the laptop! WTF

So some software issue most be at play here. Some weird incompatablitiy. Wrestlemania what is your system specs? Mobo and processor specifically.

Did you ever get this fixed? I have the same problem now... :(

A reformat fixed my problem (same problem) -_- apparently some software we all have in common must be causing the issue.

Yup and now I know what.

After some digging, I found out that it's the Oculus Services. So if you have a Rift and your Xbox Controller keeps disconnecting on Windows after it did it's updates, just update your Oculus App and it'll work again.

Just wanted to chime in, having the exact same issue of the controller will connect on a reboot of the whole system, but soon as it powers down it wont reconnect. It'll flash once, then dim the xbox light for a 1/2 second, then go dead.

Its not batteries, put brand new ones in (plus it will work fine on first connect after a reboot)
Its not firmware, have checked on both the xbox app and by reconnecting it to my xbox one s, it has the latest firmware
ITs not the controller, connects fine to my xbox one and works perfectly.

I also have never had any problems with this controller until right now. My computer updated it self a few days ago and sense then, this issue has came up.

Edit:

The plot thickens.. I tested the exact same wireless adapter and Controller on my laptop, same driver versions, same windows version (fully updated Windows 10 Aniversary), everything the exact saem... except no issues what so ever with the laptop! WTF

So some software issue most be at play here. Some weird incompatablitiy. Wrestlemania what is your system specs? Mobo and processor specifically.

I'm now having this same exact issue. What can I do? I know you mentioned reformat, but how/what exactly?

IMACOMPUTA

I'm now having this same exact issue. What can I do? I know you mentioned reformat, but how/what exactly?

Add me to the list of people with this issue. And thank GOD i checked this thread. I've googled it 100 times and haven't found others having this issue.. although it's hard to narrow down the search terms.

I had oculus software installed at one point.. about to check to see if any of it is still installed.

Edit: nope, all the oculus stuff has been removed.

Is there a chance it could be something with the xbox 360 wireless receiver dongle? I had that installed previously.

I bought one of the new Bluetooth controllers and nothing I did could get it to sync with my PC.

Tried two separate Bluetooth dongles, and the only thing that got it to partially work was to download a completely different driver and even then it took forever to connect right. I even tried connecting to my little Windows 10 tablet with built+in bluetooth and even that didn't work.

I bought it to use primarily as a PC controller, but also because it would work on Gear VR (Minecraft now, and other stuff at a later date) and as an extra XB1 controller.

But because connecting it to the PC was such a hassle, I ended up returning it and buying a SteelSeries Stratus and it connected way better with my PC. I can't use it as a second XB1 controller, but that wasn't as important to me.

IMACOMPUTA

I bought one of the new Bluetooth controllers and nothing I did could get it to sync with my PC.

Tried two separate Bluetooth dongles, and the only thing that got it to partially work was to download a completely different driver and even then it took forever to connect right. I even tried connecting to my little Windows 10 tablet with built+in bluetooth and even that didn't work.

I bought it to use primarily as a PC controller, but also because it would work on Gear VR (Minecraft now, and other stuff at a later date) and as an extra XB1 controller.

But because connecting it to the PC was such a hassle, I ended up returning it and buying a SteelSeries Stratus and it connected way better with my PC. I can't use it as a second XB1 controller, but that wasn't as important to me.

I haven't seen it reported anywhere, but the Bluetooth functionality of the new Xbox one controller sucks.
I suppose it could be both of the bt dongles I tried, but the impulse triggers don't work over Bluetooth, and the headphone jack audio is absolutely terrible. If I'm wrong, please correct me. I googled trying to find any official info on this and found nothing. I bought the latest and greatest bt dongle too.

guys, massive issues here. was running the xbox one controller on windows 7 no issues. got windows 10 today and did a clean install, installed thw wireless adapter-nothing.

installed the controller via usb-the xbox controller app from the store detected, it did an update, now it detects as an xinput media thing.

but the analog sticks dont work and half of my games dont detect it. WTF?

Druuge Fuel

Neo Member
There's a new firmware for the "S" controllers on the Xbox Accessories app. Installed it earlier today and not having anymore wireless problems. Switching from wired to wireless seems a lot snappier as well with the driver negotiation. For those with problems, give it a shot. Definite improvement.

EDIT: I have an S/bluetooth controller. I'm unsure if there's an update for the other Xbox 1 types (gen 1, elite).

elelunicy

Hmmm apparently Steam is causing the issue for me. As soon as I turn off Steam I can reconnect the controller again. Tested it a few times and the issue is 100% reproducible.

IMACOMPUTA

There's a new firmware for the "S" controllers on the Xbox Accessories app. Installed it earlier today and not having anymore wireless problems. Switching from wired to wireless seems a lot snappier as well with the driver negotiation. For those with problems, give it a shot. Definite improvement.

EDIT: I have an S/bluetooth controller. I'm unsure if there's an update for the other Xbox 1 types (gen 1, elite).

Are you saying this fixes the problem we were having on this page with the controller not working anymore until restarting the PC?

Druuge Fuel

Neo Member
Are you saying this fixes the problem we were having on this page with the controller not working anymore until restarting the PC?

There are various problems throughout the thread but the problem I was having with it were (seemingly) driver negotiations switching between wired and wireless for the S model controller. If it was plugged in, I would have to manually resync to the wireless adapter every time I unplugged it. Conversely, if I were wireless and plugged the cord in mid-game, it would either freeze the game or be unresponsive till I restarted the game. Between the new firmware and Windows Updates, it's working well enough. Wireless drops still happen but they are few and far between.

Hotswapping between wired and wireless still causes a few second delay but I can live with that compared to what I was dealing with last week.

EDIT: For those still having unacceptable problems. Try disabling USB 3.0 in the bios and see if that helps for now.

Spinifex

Hmmm apparently Steam is causing the issue for me. As soon as I turn off Steam I can reconnect the controller again. Tested it a few times and the issue is 100% reproducible.

YES! This is happening for me too, and Steam is the cause. Did you find a fix?

rSpooky

Hmm. I missed this thread before. I have no realissues with my pro controller wired in. But I do have a wireless headset with dongle that behaves exactly like what described here :( had no idea and this thread made me realise it was the aniversary update that started all the issues.
Subscribed in hopes for a solution.

theJwac

I just wanted to check in as well in this thread with my $0.02. I have seen this issue when using my wired Xbox One Elite controller. It connects for a few minutes, then I have to unplug, replug, and turn it back on.

I have not seen the issue when using my wired Master Chief Halo 5 controller though.

AaronMT86

I just bought a One controller on sale for Black Friday and am running into this *sigh*. It works fine, but then if I want to play again later and turn the wireless controller on, it just stays on for like 5 seconds (brand new batteries) -- workaround is going hard wired. I am on Windows 10 1607.

Vargavinter

Is this still a problem? I ruined some muscles in my arm making playing games that have extensive us off pressing L3 & R3 a no-go. So being able to rebind keys in the app and having the extra paddles on the backside might work wonders for games that dont support any kind of rebinding. But im using the Anniversary update on my Win 10, so I thought I should ask around before investing in one.

IMACOMPUTA

I'll be damned, you're right.

Fixed if i close steam, sync controller, open steam.

Spinifex

finaly, Finally, FINALLY got a workaround to solve this issue. It was definitely related to Steam, whenever Steam was open, controller was unable to connect for more than 2 seconds. If I quit Steam, turned on controller, then launched Steam, everything would be fine.

To resolve this, I've created a custom Xinput DLL to override whatever Steam was doing to fuck with it. This will also break launching BPM from the Guide button, but as I hated that feature anyway, it's a bonus to me. Everything else will work fine, controller just works as normal now in games, etc.

If you like you can download my custom DLL here, just save to your Steam root directory.

Was thinking of getting a Design Lab controller soon. Does it (now) play well with Windows 10/Steam? And does any Bluetooth USB dongle work or do you recommend a particular one?

Thanks

finaly, Finally, FINALLY got a workaround to solve this issue. It was definitely related to Steam, whenever Steam was open, controller was unable to connect for more than 2 seconds. If I quit Steam, turned on controller, then launched Steam, everything would be fine.

To resolve this, I've created a custom Xinput DLL to override whatever Steam was doing to fuck with it. This will also break launching BPM from the Guide button, but as I hated that feature anyway, it's a bonus to me. Everything else will work fine, controller just works as normal now in games, etc.

If you like you can download my custom DLL here, just save to your Steam root directory.

Man, I just got done reinstalling windows because it totally fubar'd my Xbox Wireless Adapter and Elite Controller drivers. Thanks for the fix! I am putting that in my vault.

vstro24

Neo Member

Do you think you could post the source code? Thanks for finding that work around

beeswax

Thank you for working this out and posting, this was driving me crazy. I couldn't pause a game and walk away for more than 10 mins otherwise I'd no longer be able to connect the controller.

Wow, nice. Thanks, I've downloaded and applied this, I also hated that Steam commandeered the guide button functionality, much better now.

How is this still a thing? How does a huge bug like this exist in a Windows 10 / Steam / Xbox One Controller combo? Not exactly a wacky setup. FFS.

Top Bottom