• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update breaks Xbox One controller drivers.

Parsnip

I'm on the release preview ring and downloading the update right now, will report back.

edit: Reporting back. Good news everyone.
I'm not seeing dual controllers in any of the applications that were seeing it before that I tested and to test the Unity engine problem, Gone Home and Ittle Dew both seem to work. These two didn't see input at all with the dual input driver, and the version before that caused other problems. Now they both appear to work. I'm installing FF9, I recall it being a bit wonky as well, another Unity joint (works).
I don't have FF13 or 13-2 installed to test those, I suppose I could install 13-2 and test it in the morning, it's not that big.
But all signs point to it being fixed.

Fucking finally I might add.

edit #2: It's not morning yet, but my super duper internet installed the game while I was still up, and Final Fantasy XIII-2 menus work perfectly now, presumably same is true for FF13 as well.
And since I'm still up, I'm installing Dragon's Dogma too since people mentioned that before.

edit #3: Dragon's Dogma seems to work fine.

Keep in mind I don't have the bluetooth controller, but I can't imagine it would be any different in regard to this driver.
Anyways, everything seems work now.
Driver date: 19.8.2016 driver version: 10.0.14393.103

dr_rus

it might be cute if you include a DO NEVER UPGRADE EVER guide for idiots like me that got windows 10 ,,

this feels like iphone ios with monster hunter all over again
The problem here is that you can't really avoid upgrading, you can only postpone it for a month.

The question is will they patch RS1 or will we have to wait till 2017 RS2 for that fix?

I'm on the release preview ring and downloading the update right now, will report back.

I'm not seeing dual controllers in any of the applications that were seeing it before that I tested and to test the Unity engine problem, Gone Home and Ittle Dew both seem to work. These two didn't see input at all with the dual input driver, and the version before that caused other problems. Now they both appear to work. I'm installing FF9, I recall it being a bit wonky as well, another Unity joint (works).
I don't have FF13 or 13-2 installed to test those, I suppose I could install 13-2 and test it in the morning, it's not that big.

Fucking finally I might add.

edit #2: It's not morning yet, but my super duper internet installed the game while I was still up, and Final Fantasy XIII-2 menus work perfectly now, presumably same is true for FF13 as well.
And since I'm still up, I'm installing Dragon's Dogma too since people mentioned that before.

edit #3: Dragon's Dogma seems to work fine.

Keep in mind I don't have the bluetooth controller, but I can't imagine it would be any different in regard to this driver.
Anyways, everything seems work now.
Driver date: 19.8.2016 driver version: 10.0.14393.103
Do you have pro or home? That is good news though.

Any word on when this update will roll out to non-preview users?

Don't want to move to preview as I don't want to be a beta tester for MS, and I understand the irony of that statement given how much of a fucking mess this anniversary update has been.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Any word on when this update will roll out to non-preview users?

Don't want to move to preview as I don't want to be a beta tester for MS, and I understand the irony of that statement given how much of a fucking mess this anniversary update has been.

I had the initial 1607 update first week of August and I'm not a preview user.
There's been three cumulative updates for 1607 since then as well.

JaggedSac

The problem here is that you can't really avoid upgrading, you can only postpone it for a month.

The question is will they patch RS1 or will we have to wait till 2017 RS2 for that fix?

Release Preview is for updates on the current production branch. So you will get it in the next cumulative update.

epmode

Hooray! I don't want to get involved with Insider builds anymore but it's pretty annoying that I can't play N++ due to this bug.

Parsnip

Does MS ever release cumulative updates outside of Tuesday? Need patch now.

I don't think they do for regular users, at least normally. They also normally do it once a month, but based on their clip for AU so far, maybe you'll get one on the 30th.

derExperte

Hooray! I don't want to get involved with Insider builds anymore but it's pretty annoying that I can't play N++ due to this bug.

N++ worked fine for me even before installing this new update. Is everything else up to date on your end (like Steam, X1 pad's firmware)?

epmode

N++ worked fine for me even before installing this new update. Is everything else up to date on your end (like Steam, X1 pad's firmware)?

Steam and Windows are up to date. The really weird thing is that N++ worked perfectly fine until I either rebooted my computer or restarted the program.

As for the controller (Elite USB), I've never touched the drivers. This is a clean Windows 10 install so I'm using whatever is pulled down from Windows Update. (I've had bad experiences in the past after replacing the default Xbox One controller drivers)

derExperte

Steam and Windows are up to date. The really weird thing is that N++ worked perfectly fine until I either rebooted my computer or restarted the program.

As for the controller (Elite USB), I've never touched the drivers. This is a clean Windows 10 install so I'm using whatever is pulled down from Windows Update. (I've had bad experiences in the past after replacing the default Xbox One controller drivers)

Oh, I'm using a regular pad, maybe Elite has additional problems. But if you didn't know you can use the Xbox Accessories app to update its firmware, might fix stuff.

epmode

Oh, I'm using a regular pad, maybe Elite has additional problems. But if you didn't know you can use the Xbox Accessories app to update its firmware, might fix stuff.

Update: It's very possible that starting the Xbox Accessories app corrected this. Or maybe it was another reboot. Whatever the case, the Elite USB controller is working properly again.

Arren

I am experiencing a really odd problem with my Xbox One Elite controller, which I've been using for many, many months on Windows 7 with never an issue.

I have recently decided to try and clean install Windows 10 and, among all the other things, I went to download the Xbox Accessories app and adjust some aspects to my liking. Upon connecting the Elite Controller through USB and opening the application, I was asked to upgrade my controller firmware, so I went ahead and let it perform the operation.

About midway, the Xbox Accessories application suddenly closed itself. Upon reopening it, my controller is now not recognized anymore. Fearing the worst, I go to see if it is still detected in-game and I notice the following:

• On my Windows 10 system, no buttons are recognized. The controller is listed under Device Manager with proper name and drivers, but its inputs are not recognized;
  • on my still-existing Windows 7 partition, only digital buttons are detected. Both Analog sticks and the LT/RT analog triggers simply do not work anymore.
I have also tried connecting it through the official Xbox Wireless adapter, which also worked perfectly on Win7, and the same results apply.

Do you think there's any way to recover proper functionality of this controller, or did I really brick the firmware of the device through the official app?
I've tried everything: changing USB ports, reinstalling the Xbox Accessories app, reinstalling the drivers... Nothing.

I'm really hoping there's still something to be done here, I'm really angrily clueless about this whole mess. Thanks in advance for any help.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
The latest insider update for Windows 10 seems to fix the problems with my bluetooth controller. But now I see a new issue, the controller just stops working after a while. The light remains on and if I force turn it off and on again it starts to work again.

I have no problems with my DS4 controller so the bluetooth receiver seems to work.

Wikzo

Did you try any Unity-based games? Seems like many of them don't work with an Xbox One controller after the Anniversary Update.

Parsnip

Did you try any Unity-based games? Seems like many of them don't work with an Xbox One controller after the Anniversary Update.

I did. In the very post you quoted I said I tried 3 Unity engine games that had issues before and after AU, Ittle Dew, Gone Home and FF9. All work fine now.

Wikzo

I just got the new Windows 10 update. Seems like most of my Unity games now work again (Xbox One controller, wired). Sadly, VIDEOBALL seems to be the exception.

Just got the update. The game I tested was fixed. You might have to go into the device manager and update the driver there (after getting the update) if you previously rolled back.

Updated, and some games work correctly with the controller now. Still Dead Rising 2 doesn't detect the controller and reinstalling the original 2014 drivers causes the double input issue to come back.

Updated, and some games work correctly with the controller now. Still Dead Rising 2 doesn't detect the controller and reinstalling the original 2014 drivers causes the double input issue to come back.
Did Dead Rising 2 ever work with the Xbox One controller? I always thought that game was finicky and expects a wired 360 controller.

Did Dead Rising 2 ever work with the Xbox One controller? I always thought that game was finicky and expects a wired 360 controller.

Yeah, before the anniversary update, I was able to install the original XB1 controller drivers that you find on the Windows Catalog thing and was able to play with Dead Rising two with my XB1 controller no problem on Windows 10.

Carlius

Banned
ya it didnt do shit to my razer atrox. in fact, now it doesnt work at all. i still have to use the old drivers for it to work. good going razer and ms. wasted 200 bucks on this shit.

me0wish

Everything I've tried that didn't work before is working perfectly now, downloading DR2 for testing purposes.

Alright guys, found the first game that doesn't work, DR2 doesn't work for me, hopefully it gets fixed.

robgrab

Today's Windows Update finally fixed Dragon's Dogma for me! FINALLY! I'll try it again tomorrow just to make sure I'm not imagining things.

reKon

Banned
I'm pretty sure windows 10 update broke my ps4 remote play. I have no idea what else could be causing this...

StereoVsn

Well, you could get Pro and go to different upgrade branch and would be about a year behind in upgrades compared to consumer (if you postponed it there too).

Or you could get Enterprise since apparently MS started selling that on individual basis and got to yet another upgrade branch and would be untouched for 5 years.

The adapter is now showing as a network device after the latest update. Not sure why it is its a strange one.
GTDMCLY.png

Top Bottom