• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BF4 Demo Ran on A Radeon 7990 at 60fps/3K resolution, Confirms 7990 Existence

Guys I don't think that this 7990 is the 7990 that out now, the 7990 "malta" is like 2x7970 GHz I believe. This card is not out yet.

Guys I don't think that this 7990 is the 7990 that out now, the 7990 "malta" is like 2x7970 GHz I believe. This card is not out yet.

Well how much better is the 7970 ghz vs a normal 7970. Last I checked the normal 7970 is only 30 to 20 dollars cheaper so I doubt there's that much of a performance difference.

Yeah there are currently some 7990s out there but I believe they're all designed by the manufacturer, putting two 7970's together in CF. This is the official design from AMD.

pestul

Amd are working really hard on latencies and microstutter. If they get a grasp on it this will be a nice dual card. 3K with those visuals is mighty impressive.

why would you even both comparing SLI titans to a 7990 though... SLI Titans will cost twice as much. 690 vs 7990 is a fair comparison and they should both be compared to a single Titan as they're all the same price range.

SLI Titans is beastly as fuck tho... but there's nothing to compare it to.

Titan is one gpu that's 15 percent slower than the 690 dual gpu. So the 7990 will be faster but a fair comparison would be sli titan vs 7990 which the 7990 has no hope in comparison.

Dual titans is $2000, the 7990 will be under $1000. The only fair comparison is 7990 vs 690 and they will be comparable.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So, would the 7970 perform similarly taking the resolution down to 1080p? Or is the 7990 like 2x the performance?

Dual titans is $2000, the 7990 will be under $1000. The only fair comparison is 7990 vs 690 and they will be comparable.

True but I'm just speaking hardware vs hardware, not price. If we're gonna discuss Titan vs 7990 then there needs to be another Titan involved to be fair because we know that 7990 is dual gpu. Two Titans would be the equivalent of 3 gpus it seems.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Please post a build then. Include a wifi card, Windows 8, a power supply powerful enough to power the machine and a monitor that supports that resolution.

Forget it, saw your edit
I mean, in theory, you could get some old mid range GPUs off eBay, overclock them to near smoking, and put them in a cheap case with a dual core CPU and budget mobo/HDD/RAM. You could even nickname it "The Fire Hazard" and put flames on the side.

Nizz

PS4 costs about 500 dollars less, comes with a BR and HD and everything else you need to play games...so obviously its not going to compete head to head with a finished PC decked out with a 7990.

All in all, it compares well based on economics. And if people stopped caring about 1080p on consoles (which is worthless at most comfy couch playing distances), it would probably do quite well.

Give me 60fps at 720p (or even high 600s) and massive scale and from 12ft away I'll be happy in MP games
I'd take that. :)

diamount

Banned
Looks like I'll have to join the red team. This amount of support is pretty unprecedented. I wonder why it went from a 'powered by nvidia' franchise to AMD now.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
PS4 does not have a 7970. Closer to 7850 (m7970).
He was saying that the 7990 is 2x 7970 performance and a single 7970 is twice what the PS4 has. PS4 is in between a 7850 and 7870.

3k is also twice the resolution of 1080p when you multiply it out.

Looks like I'll have to join the red team. This amount of support is pretty unprecedented. I wonder why it went from a 'powered by nvidia' franchise to AMD now.

Their developer outreach has improved immensely recently and on the driver side of things, they've been addressing their biggest flaws and bumping up performance significantly. I think the one place where they're lagging behind some is in 3rd party tweaking options, especially when it comes to AA. Oh, and they don't have a single card solution that comes anywhere near Titan.

Well it depends on the game because if we look at Metro 2033, which is sponsored by nvidia, nvidia's best beats AMD's best. If you look at a AMD sponsored game then AMD's best wins.

Saint's row 3 was AMD sponsored and it ran at exactly half the framerate on amd cards as on equivalent nvidia cards.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Would be interesting to see how the reference design compares to some of the 7990 class cards out already, such as the Devil13.

Dual slot as opposed to triple, 2x8 pins for power and purported to be "whisper quiet", which I assume means it sounds more like a vacuum cleaner than a jet.

I'm sure both consoles going with AMD is helping with regards to dev support.

Piggus

That certainly didn't look like 3k resolution. But if it was then that's looking pretty good for my 7970 since I "only" play at 1080p. I get ~70 to 80 fps in BF3 at ultra settings with 4x AA so I'm looking forward t o seeing how this runs.

synce

You can't compare PS4's GPU to the 7990 spec-for-spec. PS4 doesn't have nearly as much overhead as PC. It's tough coming up with a good analogy, but as far as performance to cost, it's something like Nissan GT-R (PS4) vs Porsche 911 GT3 (AMD 7990). Huge price difference, similar performance.

You can't compare PS4's GPU to the 7990 spec-for-spec. PS4 doesn't have nearly as much overhead as PC. It's tough coming up with a good analogy, but as far as performance to cost, it's something like Nissan GT-R (PS4) vs Porsche 911 (AMD 7990). Huge price difference, similar performance.

I doubt that very much. We're talking about dual 4 GFlop GPUs here compared to a single 1.84 GFlop GPU. I don't think your analogy is very accurate. You are WAY overestimating the PC overhead.

Spongebob

Banned
You can't compare PS4's GPU to the 7990 spec-for-spec. PS4 doesn't have nearly as much overhead as PC. It's tough coming up with a good analogy, but as far as performance to cost, it's something like Nissan GT-R (PS4) vs Porsche 911 GT3 (AMD 7990). Huge price difference, similar performance.
Just no.

Durante

Please post a build then. Include a wifi card, Windows 8, a power supply powerful enough to power the machine and a monitor that supports that resolution.
Why do people continue to make that inane argument? Does everyone include the price of their TV in console prices? Because let me tell you, that wouldn't work out well.

TheD

The Detective
I doubt that very much. We're talking about dual 4 GFlop GPUs here compared to a single 1.84 GFlop GPU. I don't think your analogy is very accurate. You are WAY overestimating the PC overhead.

Ahh yes, "pc overhead".
Kind of funny that games like BF3 and Crysis 2 are playable (with higher settings) on hardware that is barely faster than the PS3.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Why stop there? If you give it a real shot you can make the PC seem as expensive as a GameCube. Don't hold back now dude!
20030825h-1.gif

How about ps4 (VW GTI) vs 7990 (Audi R8 V10)

artist

Banned
that microstutter why would DICE do that to themselves
Probably because they're working with AMD on PecksFx ..

Unachievable? You can get a 7990 now. The truth is what it is...these GPUs > any console. You advertise on your best stuff.
I guess by "Unachievable" he meant the Titan/690/7990 class of cards which are out of reach for 99% of the market.

how does the PS4 compare to the 7990?
http://tpucdn.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_7990_Devil_13/images/perfrel.gif

PS4 GPU would fit between the GTX570 and the 7870.

Saint's row 3 was AMD sponsored and it ran at exactly half the framerate on amd cards as on equivalent nvidia cards.
There are also examples where TWIMTBP games ran better on AMD cards.

Top Bottom