• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MACROSS (pronounced Delta) ~~ ~~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faynwulf

I thought this was a thread about "マクロスMACROSS+82-99".

Needless to say I'm disappointed.

orochi91

The way Macross and Gundam tackle things things is completely different. If you want a fun show that is more about human society, culture, and coexistence rather than a political space opera and war drama, then Macross is something you should look into.

I'd love a mecha show revolving around those themes, perhaps I should give it a shot.

It's about time I take a break from political space operas :3

Savitar

For all the people always wanting for a director to always convey the true meaning through their work, You all so NEGATIVE. Let these directors, these artists be free and give us something with HEART.

The reason why they call this MACROSS DELTA is because the director envisioned it to encapsulate the THREE core elements of the Macross series, SONGS, BATTLES, and LOVE TRIANGLES. It is a TRIANGLE a DELTA so that we never ever forget the core of the series.

The series is set 8 years after RANKA LEE and SHERYL NOME saved the world. Now it is time for WALKURE to take on PROTOCULTURE and SAVE US ALL from the VAR SYNDROME.

Love triangles suck and are the laziest way for writers to create shallow crappy drama.

Songs is something Macross should have moved away from, sadly with Japan's culture currently no wonder they are pandering even more to such a base. Probably why they also have a declining population.

Battles, okay we love the space battles. Can't go wrong with that. Unless porrly CG'ed. Which sadly happens in some shows.

Giolon

Goddamn, this song got stuck in my head so bad. Worse than Triangular from Frontier.

So, given that Mirage is in the foreground with the other two, does that mean she's the 3rd point of the requisite Macross Love Triangle? If so, #TeamMirage all the way.

Epcott

So much Macross love in this thread. So much Delta hate in this thread too. I'm proud of you GAF.

(Vanishes into thin air like the ghost of Roy Fokker)

Shun saving me the trouble of making the OT lol. Hyped for Space Idol airplane show:macross idol festival. Freiya is pretty much space honoka. Mikumo is best girl. looking forward to see where things go. and surprised to see a brake-dancing VF-171.

Shouta

What the fuck happened to Macross?

It decided to go down the rabbit hole and take it seriously.

Macross has always been about interstellar conflict and music. To be specific, it's how those two elements intersect each other but also a bit about what music means to humanity as well. From that perspective, Delta isn't all that off from what folks are familiar with. The big issue with more recent Macross series though is that they're screwing up the mixture making it unbalanced.

The music aspect was a smaller part compared to the space war/conflict stuff in SDF Macross, Macross Plus and even Macross 2. In Macross 7, they decided to jack the music aspect to the max which made it strange for first timer views. However, they also changed things in the formula to make it work (idols -> rock band) and decided to make it a cheesy tribute to the power of music which ended up being extremely enjoyable once it clicked for folks.

Then someone let Kawamori do more work on the series besides mecha design and yeah.... Zero and Frontier have decent elements to it but I feel like they totally miss the mark on what Macross is for long-time fans, even the ones that accept the music aspect. Delta is just continuing that trend, unfortunately.

Epcott

I love you Shouta!

Is there any truth to Harmony Gold wanting to Westernize this show into Robotech: Songstress Squad Delta?

I loathed the first episode, but even this show doesn't deserve that fate. Can they actually do that?

Dead

well not really...yet
Harmony Gold still exists?

What the fuck do they even do besides sit on the rights to the franchise??

RangerBAD

I enjoyed the first episode. Of course it's not going to be like SDF, but my biggest problem with the series is that they moved to CG for the fights.

jstripes

Banned
It decided to go down the rabbit hole and take it seriously.

Macross has always been about interstellar conflict and music. To be specific, it's how those two elements intersect each other but also a bit about what music means to humanity as well. From that perspective, Delta isn't all that off from what folks are familiar with. The big issue with more recent Macross series though is that they're screwing up the mixture making it unbalanced.

The music aspect was a smaller part compared to the space war/conflict stuff in SDF Macross, Macross Plus and even Macross 2. In Macross 7, they decided to jack the music aspect to the max which made it strange for first timer views. However, they also changed things in the formula to make it work (idols -> rock band) and decided to make it a cheesy tribute to the power of music which ended up being extremely enjoyable once it clicked for folks.

Then someone let Kawamori do more work on the series besides mecha design and yeah.... Zero and Frontier have decent elements to it but I feel like they totally miss the mark on what Macross is for long-time fans, even the ones that accept the music aspect. Delta is just continuing that trend, unfortunately.
Good post. Music was the "enabling factor", rather than the concept itself. The people who wanted to grow the franchise didn't understand that.

Harmony Gold still exists?

What the fuck do they even do besides sit on the rights to the franchise??

They sell real estate.

And sit on the franchise rights because, free money.

Free money is the best money. :p

macrossdelta.jpg

http://macross.jp/delta/mechanic/index06.php

NEW MACROSS.

25 EPISODES.

WHERE?

TOKYO MX: Every Sunday @ 22:30
MBS: Every Tuesday @ 27:00
TV Aichi: Every Wednesday @ 26:05
Television Hokkaido: Every Wednesday @ 26:05
TVQ: Every Monday 26:30
BS11: Every Tuesday @ 24:00
d anime store: Every Wednesday @ 12:00

AFTER YEARS OF CONFLICT HUMANITY FACED NEAR EXTINCTION AND LEFT TO SPACE TO BECOME NEWTYPES AND COEXIST WITH THE ZENTRADI AND OTHER ALIEN CIVILIZATIONS.
IT IS THE YEAR AD 2067 AND CIVILIZATION FACES A NEW EPIDEMIC CALLED THE VAR SYNDROME. TOGETHER WITH THE DELTA SQUAD AND WALKURE, WE FIGHT WITH ROBOTS AND MUSIC FOR CULTURE.

The series is set 8 years after MACROSS FRONTIER with RANKA LEE and SHERYL NOME SAVING the world. Now it is time for WALKURE to take on PROTOCULTURE and SAVE US ALL from the VAR SYNDROME.

DECULTURE!

CfAhs_fUYAA8YOZ.jpg

As this is emergency thread, the characters and Valkyrie mechanics and everything else is mostly on the website. What better way to learn than from the source itself!

http://macross.jp/delta/mechanic/index06.php

Thank You Shun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sadly, we'll probably never see Macross anything legally streaming (in the US) until Harmony Gold is dead in the ground.

Not exactly. HG doesn't care if more Macross comes over. They just want their logo on it due to what they believe their contract contains. Short story is that the contract they got from Tatsunoko in 1982/1983 was broad in its wording which caused Big West to sue Tatsunoko in the early 2000s (note, this lawsuit had nothing to do with HG outside of bringing this problem to the forefront).

On HG's side, if they don't defend what they believe to have they'll lose it. On BW's side if they comply or allow HG to have their logo they basically say the Tatsunoko contract is binding.

We came so close to legal Macross Zero by ADV as well as the manga Macross 7 Trash from Tokyopop. Both deals fell through due to Big West, not HG. HG gave the go ahead to both in 2003 and 2006/2007.

Basically, the whole situation is fucked up for everyone.

And Do You Remember Love is an even bigger mess legal wise that HG had no hand in.

Not exactly. HG doesn't care if more Macross comes over. They just want their logo on it due to what they believe their contract contains. Short story is that the contract they got from Tatsunoko was broad in its wording which caused Big West to sue Tatsunoko in the early 2000s (note, this lawsuit had nothing to do with HG outside of bringing this problem to the forefront).

On HG's side, if they don't defend what they believe to have they'll lose it. On BW's side if they comply or allow HG to have their logo they basically say the Tatsunoko contract is binding.

We came so close to legal Macross Zero by ADV as well as the manga Macross 7 Trash from Tokyopop. Both deals fell through due to Big West, not HG. HG gave the go ahead to both in 2003 and 2006/2007.

Basically, the whole situation is fucked up for everyone.

And Do You Remember Love is an even bigger mess legal wise that HG had no hand in.

Here's a pretty good write up about the whole thing:

http://kotaku.com/5990702/why-you-havent-seen-any-new-macross-in-the-west-for-nearly-15-years

Giolon

Not exactly. HG doesn't care if more Macross comes over. They just want their logo on it due to what they believe their contract contains. Short story is that the contract they got from Tatsunoko was broad in its wording which caused Big West to sue Tatsunoko in the early 2000s (note, this lawsuit had nothing to do with HG outside of bringing this problem to the forefront).

One of Kotaku's Japan guys had a big writeup on all that lawsuit stuff a few years ago for those interested: http://kotaku.com/5990702/why-you-havent-seen-any-new-macross-in-the-west-for-nearly-15-years

While all of what you say is true, no company can bring out Macross anything in US w/o Harmony Gold's approval (and likely being paid a significant sum of money), because of the likely illegitimate trademark claim that they hold. So far no deals have been reached for anything to release. We missed out entirely on Macross Frontier 8 years ago, and we're entirely likely to miss out on Delta as well - unless Big West and/or Tatsunoko wake up and challenge Harmony Gold's US trademark.

lol@ "what's with all this idol garbage in my macross all of a sudden?"

it look okay, I think. I'm just waiting for the 'no models ever' because harmony gold.

One of Kotaku's Japan guys had a big writeup on all that lawsuit stuff a few years ago for those interested: http://kotaku.com/5990702/why-you-havent-seen-any-new-macross-in-the-west-for-nearly-15-years

While all of what you say is true, no company can bring out Macross anything in US w/o Harmony Gold's approval (and likely being paid a significant sum of money), because of the likely illegitimate trademark claim that they hold. So far no deals have been reached for anything to release. We missed out entirely on Macross Frontier 8 years ago, and we're entirely likely to miss out on Delta as well - unless Big West and/or Tatsunoko wake up and challenge Harmony Gold's US trademark.

Big West has had 13 years to challenge HG over the contract. They haven't. That either means they don't want to spend the money challenging them or that the contract is more binding than they want others to believe. ADV wanted Macross Zero, went to Big West who told them to go to HG. When HG was good with it BW balked. Tatsunoko though when this was going on was having bad blood with Big West over the details of that contract as they believed what they got was in good faith so at this point they likely don't care other than the trademarks they own (like the DYRL merchandise rights, which HG got by just asking for them in 2004 since no one else asked).

Anyone remember Sunwards? The company that tried to get Toycom's Macross toys in the US in 2000ish or so when the initial lawsuits began. They didn't last long. Hell, several years back one of Hasbro's Jetfire toys had coloring that came too close to the Valkyrie that HG managed to get them to back off from.

And you know what's worse if true? A number of years back I had heard that some Big West reps were trying to feel out the situation here in the US among fans at one of the Macross forums. The massive Anti-HG sentiment on those forums caused them to not do any business with HG thinking that's what fans wanted when in reality HG wanted more to come in, as they've basically said at every convention since '01 that they felt the two series had gone far enough in two separate directions that it didn't matter as they were fans too and felt that they wouldn't be competing against one another.

It's just one big mess all around.

And now I'm reminded of the Macross 7 issues to which animation and music rights are sold separately...

muteki

I should fire up Macross 30 again for funsies.

Then be sad as there are no other games on the horizon and nothing on PSN.

Shirke

Ikenai Borderline is one of the catchiest Macross songs I've heard, barring nearly all of Frontier's soundtrack, that shit was great. And Mirage is obviously going to win the triangle; as the older, more mature girl, looking back on Misa, Sara and Sheryl.

Furyous

Can someone clarify what happened to the main protagonist of Frontier since this is set eight years after that series? I hope this protagonist runs into Ranka, Sheryl, and Frontier protagonist. Is it me or are there male idols in Delta? This series is my warmup before ReLIFE comes through and wows me.

Can someone clarify what happened to the main protagonist of Frontier since this is set eight years after that series? I hope this protagonist runs into Ranka, Sheryl, and Frontier protagonist. Is it me or are there male idols in Delta? This series is my warmup before ReLIFE comes through and wows me.

chances are we wont know, very rarely does new macross directly refrence a previous series events blatently. in 7 we had max and millia as the capt/mayor of the 7 fleet. And one of the episodes focused on a remake of sorts of DYRL(in the macross universe the movies are in universe takes on what may or may not happened mostly) in frontier, we got the FB7 movie, ozma referencing fire bomber songs, along with a movie shoot of what would be the in universe movie of macross zero's events. And if you count the movies as canon(if your familiar with macross this isn't always so lol) isamu made a short cameo in the wings of goodbye movie. I imagine for delta we might get some references to Sheryl/ranka and the frontier fleet, or a Sheryl song playing in the background during one of the training montages or something at best.

Giolon

chances are we wont know, very rarely does new macross directly refrence a previous series events blatently. in 7 we had max and millia as the capt/mayor of the 7 fleet. And one of the episodes focused on a remake of sorts of DYRL(in the macross universe the movies are in universe takes on what may or may not happened mostly) in frontier, we got the FB7 movie, ozma referencing fire bomber songs, along with a movie shoot of what would be the in universe movie of macross zero's events. And if you count the movies as canon(if your familiar with macross this isn't always so lol) isamu made a short cameo in the wings of goodbye movie. I imagine for delta we might get some references to Sheryl/ranka and the frontier fleet, or a Sheryl song playing in the background during one of the training montages or something at best.

Not to mention that in the movie versions of Frontier
Alto disappears at the end
, and just how in general the endings of the series and movies contradict each other. Macross series often set themselves in different times and places in the galaxy so they can do their own thing w/o stepping on the toes of the other series.

Shun

Been on that AKB0048 trajectory
can't wait for the toys
kdzkmeY.jpg

tvcKMWH.jpg

kFtR3Zd.jpg

The Bandai 1/72 Siegfried looks pretty sick, being Bandai I hella want the kit and I hope the quality and detail is great.

Been up for preorder for June release for a while. I'm waiting for the Mirage color way.

Dead Man

If you told me after I saw the original that this is what it was going to become I would have laughed. No series has deviated massively from the one directly previous, but compared to the original series this looks like something I have no interest in. Just a slow drift away from what I wanted and expected after the first series. I sort of knew this was going to be the path after seeing 7, although Plus was pretty much perfect in terms of having all the idol elements but not making me groan every time they burst out into song.

Oh well, plenty of other stuff for me to watch, hope it's good for those who enjoyed the last couple series. :)

New Valkyries look pretty sweet though.

Been on that AKB0048 trajectory

The Bandai 1/72 Siegfried looks pretty sick, being Bandai I hella want the kit and I hope the quality and detail is great.

Been up for preorder for June release for a while. I'm waiting for the Mirage color way.
Wait for the VF-31 tamashii chogokin dx line (1/60) it's going to be much better sculpt and details.
But it's coming out really late end of year and most likely hard to pre order knowing bandai

This first episode really surprised me, the music was very catchy, the battles were pretty good and I loved seeing Mirage keeping with family tradition, but wasn't her valk the one that was "off"?

We'll see how it goes from here, the first ep was more engaging than Frontier's and people love to say that with each new installment there's more focus on th music but I think 7 was much worse than frontier on this. Specially in the first half, in every single episode they played Planet Dance.

Savitar

Anyone remember Sunwards? The company that tried to get Toycom's Macross toys in the US in 2000ish or so when the initial lawsuits began. They didn't last long. Hell, several years back one of Hasbro's Jetfire toys had coloring that came too close to the Valkyrie that HG managed to get them to back off from.[/SPOILER]

It's just one big mess all around.

And now I'm reminded of the Macross 7 issues to which animation and music rights are sold separately...

The last year HG sued Hasbro due to one of the Jetfire toys again due to how similar it was to the classic robot format, a judge ended up ruling against with them with extreme prejudice. Now they're not allowed to go to court against any of the TF toys any longer. So they did lose big time on that.

Shirke

The Bandai 1/72 models look sweet, I hope that there are more specialized equipment for the Valks like a super or armour pack even though they seem kinda unnecessary now with all the built in features.

Plus I hope the models are a bit more secure and not too much on the sticker hell, I haven't transformed my Ozma VF-25 in years due how finicky it is. Otherwise I should save up for a DX Chogokin.

Mokoi

Banned
This first episode really surprised me, the music was very catchy, the battles were pretty good and I loved seeing Mirage keeping with family tradition, but wasn't her valk the one that was "off"?
Yea it was hers. I assuming it's going to be brought up in ep2

RangerBAD

Also, Mao Nome is Sheryl's grandmother. She appeared in flashbacks.

Shirke

Not to mention that in the movie versions of Frontier
Alto disappears at the end
, and just how in general the endings of the series and movies contradict each other. Macross series often set themselves in different times and places in the galaxy so they can do their own thing w/o stepping on the toes of the other series.

Kawamori has stated in a interview with Animedia that
he was amused and surprised that people's sadder (and inaccurate) interpretations when he assumed he was "obvious". He confirmed that Alto is alive and returned to Sheryl when she woke from the coma at the end of the movie. Plus the final song of the movie with Ranka and Sheryl singing is supposed to be her "Welcome back" concert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom