• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst Closed Beta Thread | Didn't Get An Email? Keep Faith

jdstorm

Banned
Got my best time for the birdman race down to 31secs, would love to know how 1st place acheived 25secs..

Start with a run up. Go left then cut across down the gap into a roll, run straight, boost up over the box. Keep running straight until you get to the stairs, jump of the rail to get to the 2nd level, run up the stairs until you get to the roof. wall run jump and then coil off the right side, then do a coil jump and run to the mark.

That should be good for 23 seconds

red731

Oh my god the performance - no matter the res of overall settings, it moves just about ~4fps.

Might but it on PS4 if they won't optimize which they of course will.

ktroopa

Start with a run up. Go left then cut across down the gap into a roll, run straight, boost up over the box. Keep running straight until you get to the stairs, jump of the rail to get to the 2nd level, run up the stairs until you get to the roof. wall run jump and then coil off the right side, then do a coil jump and run to the mark.

That should be good for 23 seconds

Thanks but i just realised i dont have the coil jump. How do you do this? Is it an unlock?

Edit: ive also seen vids on youtube what looks like pc players bunny hopping, it that a bug it sure looks fucked up. Times of 23secs lol :/

teokrazia

I have played so far in the beta even comes close to The Edge (which I spent hours trying to perfect).

Nice run!

My record on Edge is 00:43:95 :p

One thing that I love about the new one is that it works like Just Cause 3: the initial loading is quite long, but once you reach the main menu you are on the go.
It even works in case of crash: after messing with DSR I had to alt-F4 it, I've boot it up again and I've restarted from the exact spot where I was.

Initial impressions.

Ahhhhh there are a lot of bad things in the beta.

The visuals are so messy. I loved the clean minimalist look of the previous game, but they've thrown it in the bin.

They removed the backflip (unless I need to grind XP to unlock it because it's 2016).

There’s a mission where I keep getting interrupted with “Mission Failed” because I’m running away instead of fighting.

I didn’t think it would be possible for the writing to have less subtlety than the first game.

I’m reserving judgement til I’ve played more, but I’m pretty sure they’ve fucked it.

I'm a huge fan of the original game, can beat it in around 90 minutes and spent a great deal of time in the time trials.

Even the very first playable section in Mirror's Edge had lots of depth and replayability, nothing I have played so far in the beta even comes close to The Edge (which I spent hours trying to perfect).

It pains me to see this come to pass. Guess I'll have to reinstall the original.

jdstorm

Banned
Thanks but i just realised i dont have the coil jump. How do you do this? Is it an unlock?

Edit: ive also seen vids on youtube what looks like pc players bunny hopping, it that a bug it sure looks fucked up. Times of 23secs lol :/

I hit 23 without bunny hopping so it is possible. It is an unlock. Once it's unlocked it's press L1 then L2 when you are in the air

Robiin

I do not for the life of me understand why you need to unlock movement options in a game that solely lives and dies off of its' movement. Especually skill roll, quick turn and coil. Like, give the new generation unlocks in fighting, runner vision/gear stuff or map upgrades, that's fine - it's 2016 and they have a AAA game to sell. But locking movement options in a running game is just absurd. Let the skill of the player determine what you can and can't do.

Also running at full speed does not have the same feelibg like it used to in the first game. Might be the camera/lack of subtle motion blur, it's so steady you don't feel the steps in the same way.

Other than that I'm glad I am getting a new Mirror's Edge game, nothing in gaming is like the feeling of finding a faster route to your destination and then executing it perfectly.

Edit: I forgot to mention the most important thing. I hope to god there will be a control scheme which lets us switch the shoulder buttons around. I am so used to jumping and ducking with the R buttons... please DICE, how can you not let me change this????

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So as a huge ME fan I'm super hopeful for the game. Can anyone who really liked the first game and got into the beta reassure me that it's gonna be a great new ME game? Or is it rather eh so far? (Don't give a hoot about not state-of-the-art graphics, just talking gameplay and fun)

Robiin

So as a huge ME fan I'm super hopeful for the game. Can anyone who really liked the first game and got into the beta reassure me that it's gonna be a great new ME game? Or is it rather eh so far? (Don't give a hoot about not state-of-the-art graphics, just talking gameplay and fun)
Read my reply above yours. I got all achievements in ME1 on 360 (incl. DLC) and also played it through and got 3 stars on all time trials on the PC version, so I'd consider myself a huge ME fan.

It's good, it just has some weird design decisions. When you are in a mission or timed run it's a great game (after you've purchased some basic movement options which is absurd that you even have to).

Edit: Trying a delivery mission now and every time I restart all the dialouge repeats while running. It's reqlly annoying....

An acquaintance hooked me up with a beta code for PS4. Didn't play the original game for some reason, and I'm loving this. Normally I'm skeptical of open world checklist gaming, but the core gameplay here is so tight and satisfying that merely running around collecting knick knacks or completing delivery missions is fun as hell. Also really enjoyed the story mission in Elysium - definitely some tense and creative platforming there. Best moment came when I was just running around exploring. I saw a ladder high up opposite a wall, so I instinctively clambered up the wall, pulled a 180 quick turn and rebounded off to catch the ladder. Made me feel cool and smart as hell.

I'm hooked. Mirror's Edge is the shit.

The animations leave something to be desired, I think. You no longer see Faith's legs when you're speed vaulting or just climbing onto stuff, which makes it harder to feel when you're doing it successfully.

Nu Faith is easier to handle - it feels like she gets up to top speed more quickly and has more magnetism when it comes to grabbing pipes and ladders - but I don't feel like I'm going as fast. The audio visual feedback is different when you don't see the rest off her body so often, the head bob isn't as drastic, her footsteps are quieter and she doesn't grunt quite so much.

I spent a few hours on race missions today, and I feel like this is the only place where the open world really feels necessary. In story missions you're locked down tight, only allowed to go exactly where the game tells you to, so there's little point to it there. For the most part, the open world just feels like a Ubisoft collectible delivery mechanism. But in races, where it's actually up to you to find the best path, it becomes a whole different game. I can already tell that this is where I'm going to be spending the majority of my play time.

The skill tree seems like it's there to make sure you aren't overwhelmed with options right out the gate. Quickturn and Roll are basically your first unlocks. They don't take long to get, but you're used to the controls by then.

Nerix

Is code begging allowed here? So if someone should have a spare code (PS4)... ;)

Really looking forward to the game.

golem

Played a bit of the beta on PC and enjoyed it. They seem to have taken out some of the timing aspects of the first game, I semi-hate the new dirtier design of the city, and the skill unlocks are still dumb but that ship has sailed. Otherwise the open world seems fun to traverse and it feels overall like Mirrors Edge. Day 1

Oh also I have to admit I am enjoying the new aspects they added to combat although it still feels a bit clunky overall.

krang

I'm a massive fan of the original ME, and I've been waiting years for this sequel. I've played a few hours of the beta now, and I'd like to tell you it's all I hoped and dreamed, and yet...it isn't. Not so far, anyway. I mean, it's been good, but it's not great.

It's still a lot of fun to just mess around with the mechanics. At some point I stopped doing any missions or races and jumped around for like 3 hours.

GIF3a5299.gif

GIF242f88.gif

GIF4b54ff.gif

Those GIF's really do put a smile on my face.
I also ran about for 2 hours just mapping the skyline. I was wishing there was a photo mode, so you could just pause mid jump and get a cool pic of faith and the city.
Loved the original and I'm already loving this beta. Will pick this up day one, no doubt at all.

Blizzard

Banned
I've been too busy playing to post, but some thoughts so far:

• Origin is annoying.
  • The moment when you reach the city and the music kicks in was awesome.
  • I'm actually kind of in love with the movement. A lot of it feels fast and smooth, and the pole swings are neat for example.
  • I'm not a big fan of holding space to springboard, maybe I need a new keyboard.
  • With a 4.2 GHz 3570k, 2GB GTX 770, 8GB memory, it's running 40-60 fps with mostly low and a couple higher settings. 1680x1050 resolution. Quite smooth running around. Vsync off.
  • Weird thing, the game switches from fullscreen to windowed mode when you alt-tab. Kind of neat and unusual.
  • The social stuff is surprisingly awesome. You can see on the map where your friends are, and it's really easy to compare times with them.
  • Overall I'm quite happy thus far.
After playing 7 hour and beating all missions that I can find, I'm still happy with it. Bring on June!

A few bugs I noticed in that timeframe:
  • Some delivery missions (vial, even generic delivery) randomly do not show the ending HUD icon through walls. This may be a general issue, such as when a waypoint is set to go back to your safehouse.
  • Sometimes when you keep restarting a mission, the most recent audio log (new guy 01?) will restart every time.
  • Sometimes on the "YOUR ECHO" screen, the "SELECT ECHO" and "CLOSE" buttons are not visible (space selects anyway).

Custom time trials and Beat Location Emitters are neat. Hopefully there's an option to play offline for people who don't want to see those everywhere.

Music is decent but I wish there were more (maybe missions will have it).

Question, is there any way to play the Benefactor mission or does the beta end before it? (This mission is required for the last movement abilities.)

Also could someone test something for me please (from my earlier post)?
If you DO NOT have skill roll yet, try running fullspeed, sliding, and then trying to shift forward at the end (right click). Do you kick/roll out of it?

The description for the slide skill roll makes it sound like you just hold control, but I don't get the roll unless I shift forward at the end too.

thatJohann

Don't want to be a hater but I really found this boring. And every time you fall to your death you have to load up a checkpoint which takes like 10 seconds. Got bored of it fast. It's pretty but that's about it. My opinion at least.

Vuze

The answer will probably be no, but do we know if the beta progress will carry over to the full release?
I like what I played after being really sceptical but I think I've seen enough for now if I have to replay everything after launch.

Gecoma

Are the delivery missions infinite? Seems like they're repeating.

Oh and is this "beta then username" text floating around the screen constantly for everyone else?

It's still a lot of fun to just mess around with the mechanics. At some point I stopped doing any missions or races and jumped around for like 3 hours.

GIF3a5299.gif

They removed a mechanic here. In the original the best way of landing on these big pads was to quickturn in mid air and hold back on the stick (or S on the keyboard), which would make Faith land flat on her back and slide all the way off the pad. You could also use it to do backward somersaults if you just jumped and landed on a flat surface. You can't do it in Catalyst, though, unless it's hidden in that dumb skill tree.

For me it's like 80-90% of the way there. It feels more focus-tested, with some of the original game's rougher edges sanded off, but by making it a little easier to pull off certain manoeuvres they've also made them a little less rewarding to nail. I'm definitely going to buy the full game, so my impressions from the beta are positive overall, but I don't see it eclipsing the first game. Still plenty of fun, though.

red731

I was hit with some lighting bug. Nearly all textures turned black.

Also some delivery missions don't show the destination. I've fixed that by waiting, aborting and restarting, that said - I can't get the destination for that vial delivery.

Game is freaking awesome!

Runners vision should be classic from the get go.

Oh and is this "beta then username" text floating around the screen constantly for everyone else?

No, just you. /s
Of course it is there for everyone.

Blizzard

Banned
Also some delivery missions don't show the destination. I've fixed that by waiting, aborting and restarting, that said - I can't get the destination for that vial delivery.
I had this problem too. I've played almost exclusively with runner vision off, though that makes some things tough.

For the vial mission, I used the map to see the destination and just kept checking.

They removed a mechanic here. In the original the best way of landing on these big pads was to quickturn in mid air and hold back on the stick (or S on the keyboard), which would make Faith land flat on her back and slide all the way off the pad. You could also use it to do backward somersaults if you just jumped and landed on a flat surface. You can't do it in Catalyst, though, unless it's hidden in that dumb skill tree.

Don't even remember if I knew about the first mechanic, but isn't the 2nd one this?

(before I unlocked the quick turn)
GIF38d87b.gif

Blizzard

Banned
The unskippable cutscenes can fuck off. They were terrible in ME1 but at least they could be skipped.
I haven't minded them thus far. I still don't like Faith's new voice actress but the rest are okay.

Not-Morgan-Freeman and Not-Nathan-Drake seem especially good.

Oh wow, I spent a little while trying to do that and I couldn't make it work. Maybe it only works f you jump off a ledge? Maybe I'm just a doofus :p

Yeah you have to jump off a ledge with a drop large enough to initiate the roll. If it's a short drop the game will think you're trying to slide, but you're going backwards so it just ends up looking like Faith's drunk.

I haven't minded them thus far. I still don't like Faith's new voice actress but the rest are okay.

Not-Morgan-Freeman and Not-Nathan-Drake seem especially good.
I honestly can't tell if Faith's VA is just plain bad or she is going for the whole Aubrey Plaza thing and the animators didn't get the memo.

Beta has sold me on the game. Parkour feels great, the directional combat is fun, and I imagine it will get a lot more fun when you start unlocking more moves and shit.

Zojirushi

and how the fck is that MUSIC? ME1 had a god tier OST.

First time you step out into the open and that trailer music (Main theme?) starts playing you're gonna go like fuck yeah I'm back baby! Put a big smile on my face.

Later in the open world the ambient music hasen't been as noticeable, I hope they're gonna do a good job at switching stuff up in the final game, like maybe different music for different parts of the city.

Robiin

two questions

how much gameplay is in the beta (not counting freeroaming stuff)

The music is fantastic in my opinion, main theme is excellent. Took me abou three hours to "complete" the beta, getting the collectibles I saw and getting a few three stars on the time trials. There are side stuff I haven't done yet and maaany collectibles I haven't found. There's a lot here actually, more than I was expecting. Only about four story missions though, one "big" one.

SomTervo

How much of the complete city is in the beta, does anyone know?

You can see the whole map. It's pretty damn big, segmented into about 5 discrete sections or districts.

In the beta you start off with access to 1 district then you get access to the 2nd.

It's pretty fucking big with a lot of great stuff to do, even in the beta.

two questions

how much gameplay is in the beta (not counting freeroaming stuff)

In terms of the straight up missions and side quests, probably 40 minutes back to back.

But a) the free roaming stuff is great and there's loads of it, and b) the true depth of Mirror's Edge comes from replaying missions to improve your runtimes - so the 40 minutes above could easily stretch to 2-3 hours, not including the open world ontent

Top Bottom