• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst Closed Beta Thread | Didn't Get An Email? Keep Faith

The combat. The visuals. The music. The controls. The running.
All of it.
So perfect. This is what I wanted, exactly what I wanted.

Thank you, DICE. The follow-up to my favorite game of all time lives up exactly to what I wanted it to.

iratA

Pre-ordered the epic statue edition and signed up for the Beta within the first few hours of it going live. I better get a Beta Key EA.

SomTervo

All of it.

Thank you, DICE. The follow-up to my favorite game of all time lives up exactly to what I wanted it to.

Exactly how i'm feeling. It's brilliant.

The fact that a mission ends and the gameplay doesn't just stop like in ME1 is pretty much all i wanted anyway - but they delivered in every other department too.

red731

All of it.

You are making me all jiggy inside.

ed: stopitpeniscangetonlysoerect.gif

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
LWmWaLa.gif

Holy motion blur batman.

SomTervo

After what I've seen I don't even want it anymore. It looks pretty bad an shits all over the clean and minimalistic original. I guess it is expected though. Every game these days needs progression, unlocks and handholding.

Nope. Seems like an improvement in every way so far. Even if you just want the original's free running and more content, this has gallons of both.

The PC port sounds disappointing though. Plays like a dream on PS4.

Or it could just he GAFfers' absurdly high PC standards, which have thrown me before. I'm happy dropping to 1080p to get 60FPS on my (fairly beefy) rig.

I'm really liking it.

I think locking key movement abilities (the landing roll, quick turn, and crouch jump is silly. They should all unlock within the first half hour-hour. Game needs to push you to unlock them. It was so much more fluid when I unlocked the roll.

It feels... easier? Not sure, haven't played the old one in years.

Loving the open world. I was really worried about it but they did good.

I think it feels easier, frankly, because they've refined the controls and movement so much. It's so much more smooth and fluid than the original.

Certinty

Played the beta on the PS4 for a few hours and loved it, just a few problems I'm not happy with.

- Some obvious 'side missions' are disguised as main missions
- Game doesn't look that great, still looks good but I expected better
- While the game isn't exactly 'automatic', it feels a lot more simple than the original
- Loading times are absolutely atrocious
- Story and characters already seem meh and forced

But besides that everything else is darn good, will pick it up at launch for sure. I liked the first but from the beta alone I reckon I might like this one more already.

Arion

My impressions:

Performance
The game runs pretty decently on PS4 already. Cut scenes are really hitchy but gameplay is fairly smooth, around 50-60 fps. Final version should be very solid.

Art style
It's not quite as clean and white as the original. The world is much more grimy but the new look is good in it's own way. The city looks absolutely gorgeous. Character and enemy design is decent.

Gameplay
So the skill tree; I was able to unlock a new ability every 30 minutes of playtime. It's a pretty good pace for unlocks. You should be able to get all the movement abilities within 3-4 hours of playtime. They added a "shift" move which gives a short burst of speed in a given direction. you can use it to avoid enemies or to reach your top speed faster after a clamber or hard landing. You can also roll cancel your slides, this could have some high level applications. They also added a quick attack that lets you hit an enemy while keeping all your speed. It's main purpose isn't to fight but to actually hold onto your momentum better. When dropping from a large height you would usually roll however with the quick hit you can goomba stomp an enemy and instantly run away at full speed. This is easily my favorite addition to the game.

Overall loved the game. Looking forward to the proper release even more now.

Nope. Seems like an improvement in every way so far. Even if you just want the original's free running and more content, this has gallons of both.

In which way does it have gallons of the originals free running?

There is typically two different ways to play, the super twitchy with very fast pin point accuracy using the more complex mechanics (be them accidental or intended). Or there is the slower fluid system but not very fast that you see in the trailers and how previews have been showing the game. Quite a few people going from other threads myself included are hoping for the first type.

I haven't looked at any previews since people started getting codes as I'm hopping to just test it myself tomorrow and see what can and can't be done but your comment intrigues me.

There is typically two different ways to play, the super twitchy with very fast pin point accuracy using the more complex mechanics (be them accidental or intended). Or there is the slower fluid system but not very fast that you see in the trailers and how previews have been showing the game. Quite a few people going from other threads me included are hoping for the first type.

I haven't looked at any previews since people started getting codes as I'm hopping to just test it myself tomorrow and see what can and can't be done but your comment intrigues me.
There is still a lot of technicality to it. I think of it like Street Fighter V - a wider input window for most movements but if you want to do cool shit you still have to know what you're doing. The fact that you can choose different paths to locations is absolutely wonderful because you can make it as difficult or as easy for yourself as you want.

SomTervo

There is typically two different ways to play, the super twitchy with very fast pin point accuracy using the more complex mechanics (be them accidental or intended). Or there is the slower fluid system but not very fast that you see in the trailers and how previews have been showing the game. Quite a few people going from other threads me included are hoping for the first type.

I wasn't fanatical about the first game - I just really liked it - so i'd assume the latter?

But there have been a couple of moments where i found ways to "hack" my momentum faster and really nail some speed. It looks like a lot of speed runners have already managed this. They have some crazy times i cant nearly match.

I was mainly talking about content, TBH. What bothered me about the original was how little game there was. A 5-6 hour campaign then some good races. I didnt have the inclination or time to get really deep into the limited maps - so having 5x+ more content/seamless map to run on is ideal for me. I feel like i could spend 5-6 hours on this beta alone - which is less than 1/4 of what's in the final game, judging by the map.

The pre-set runs now being in the open world is really cool though, and it has a great "fast reset" mechanic.

Arion

the super twitchy with very fast pin point accuracy using the more complex mechanics .

From what I have played. the game has that. The movement system is the same as the original with some added move sets. The open world isn't just flat buildings next to other buildings. It's filled with obstacles and multiple routes. There are races everywhere and the game encourages you to find the best route. The leadearboards are already filled with crazy unreacable times. If you wanted the skill based speed running fun of the original it's all here.

From what I have played. the game has that. The movement system is the same as the original with some added move sets. The open world isn't just flat buildings next to other buildings. It's filled with obstacles and multiple routes. There are races everywhere and the game encourages you to find the best route. The leadearboards are already filled with crazy unreacable times. If you wanted the skill based speed running fun of the original it's all here.

yeah...the times people have already put up are really insane (assuming they are all on the up and up)

A-V-B

Reposting from other thread:

Okay, so, I'm into this thing after researching a few more elements, and it's definitely not as bad as it seemed. They just didn't tell us a lot about how progression worked. You're able to unlock rolling, coiling, and quickturning in (roughly) the first hour of play. Which is awesome.

After that...

I've been having some fun with the smaller details.

In the glass skyscraper, have you noticed you can skid your shoulder across the windows? It's hilarious. I wish there were oily shoulder marks or something.

Also, you can shift forwards constantly. It doesn't make you run faster, but it makes Faith sprint like she's a coked up The Flash. Combine that with glass streaking, and you're a hyperactive defacement extraordinaire.

Thanks to all those that replied. Sounds promising, especially about the "crazy unreachable times".

"it has a great "fast reset" mechanic." Now that is something I really wanted to here. All the videos I watched the players were being overly cautious and was hoping it wasn't because there were poor loading times.

Arion

Also, you can shift forwards constantly. It doesn't make you run faster, but it makes Faith sprint like she's a coked up The Flash. Combine that with glass streaking, and you're a hyperactive defacement extraordinaire.

Shift forward actually helps you build your momentum faster. After you clamber up a pole or do a hard landing it lets you get to top speed faster.

also what's glass streaking?

A-V-B

Shift forward actually helps you build your momentum faster. After you clamber up a pole or do a hard landing it lets you get to top speed faster.

Yeah, I mean when you're already at full momentum. It doesn't actually make you go faster.

also what's glass streaking?

Go to the Kruger building and grind your shoulder across the windows to find out. I made it sound more awesome than it is. It's just a funny little detail.

PC version seems to be stutter city off my 5400rpm so going to try it on my SSD. hopefully get better frame times. I have 16GB of RAM too so that shouldn't be an issue.

Salarians

Maybe it's just me but, on the way to Birdman, the room where you can find a bag appears to be identical to an room from the first game. Cool little thing, assuming I'm right.

Arion

Maybe it's just me but, on the way to Birdman, the room where you can find a bag appears to be identical to an room from the first game. Cool little thing, assuming I'm right.

There is also a call back to the giant rat easter egg if pay close enough attention.

The 180 that people have done on this already based on early streams vs. actual Mirror's Edge fans playing it says a lot about the streaming marketing thing tbh.

I really dislike that so many companies do it because they put the game in the hands of people who often have no idea what they're doing and are just covering it because it's new and it's an incredibly poor way to showcase a game.

There would be so much less misinformation about games if companies would take the time to detail these systems rather than letting people who've never seen the product before try and explain them.

I just want my code! With all my heart! Can't wait to try this!

Same :( I've reached out to numerous Twitters with no luck for a US PS4 code. Just purchased the GF's engagement ring today so I'm hoping I still get in so we'll have something to play as I stay home all weekend saving money lol!

Fracas

#fuckonami
This game looks a lot better in motion on PC. Wish the performance wasn't so inconsistent though.

I like the open world. Traversal still feels great. Unlocks are dumb.

Top Bottom