• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst Closed Beta Thread | Didn't Get An Email? Keep Faith

dreamfall

Same :( I've reached out to numerous Twitters with no luck for a US PS4 code. Just purchased the GF's engagement ring today so I'm hoping I still get in so we'll have something to play as I stay home all weekend saving money lol!

Hey that's awesome, congrats on the ring! GOTTA KEEP THE FAITH! I really hope they send out codes tomorrow, it just looks so pretty. And an evolution of the first game (minus the skill trees)- can't wait to free run across the city!

Does the game look good on PS4?
Yes. IQ isn't the best and the textures are quite muddy ATM but that affects all platforms so seems to be a beta thing. Performance is about the same as Battlefront's betas, which became a pretty much locked 60 at launch. Also the time stamp on the beta suggests this build is already a month old so who knows how much progress they will have made by now.

did the High Roller Avenue (?) Dash...a lot

best I could do was a little under 45 seconds which is just 2 stars...I think 3 stars is a second or two faster so it's doable but I'm not seeing where those couple seconds could be found

the person showing as #1 did it in about 10 seconds so yeah...gonna go out on a limb and say that's not a legit time

GavinUK86

Noticed an interesting little tidbit earlier. Faith hasn't got the arm tattoo at this point in the story and in cutscenes you can plainly see she hasn't got it yet. The in-game model has it. Aside from this image being creepy as shit, you can see the tattoo.
kMh5vAJ.jpg

Hey that's awesome, congrats on the ring! GOTTA KEEP THE FAITH! I really hope they send out codes tomorrow, it just looks so pretty. And an evolution of the first game (minus the skill trees)- can't wait to free run across the city!

Thanks man! Might put a dent in my PC build temporarily but I'll wait for the new cards so I'll recoup lol!

I hope so I signed up (pretty sure) so my fingers are crossed!

DOWN

Banned
Noticed an interesting little tidbit earlier. Faith hasn't got the arm tattoo at this point in the story and in cutscenes you can plainly see she hasn't got it yet. The in-game model has it. Aside from this image being creepy as shit, you can see the tattoo.
The first announcement teaser is the scene where she gets the tattoo

Happy to hear they went for 60 fps on consoles. Even if its maybe not as stable as it should be I tend to prefer 60 with dips over a solid 30. A lot of the promo video was 60fps so I was wondering if that was the traget are just a optimal high end PC showing.

Blizzard

Banned
Still no PC code. ;_; Got no response from the official twitter account, who probably blocked me when I was asking about avoiding combat and stuff, ha.

TripOpt55

Man I really hope I get in. Liking the impressions in here so far. Along with signing up for the beta a while ago, I jumped in on some giveaway things I saw. So hopefully between them, I at least get one code!

This game feels amazing. I love it. DICE is awesome.

I can't get it to work with Tridef--darn!--but that's hardly the game's fault.

Is there any way to remap the keyboard controls? Ctrl is REALLY difficult to hit on my Apple Keyboard.

Reposting from other thread:

Okay, so, I'm into this thing after researching a few more elements, and it's definitely not as bad as it seemed. They just didn't tell us a lot about how progression worked. You're able to unlock rolling, coiling, and quickturning in (roughly) the first hour of play. Which is awesome.

After that...

I've been having some fun with the smaller details.

In the glass skyscraper, have you noticed you can skid your shoulder across the windows? It's hilarious. I wish there were oily shoulder marks or something.

Also, you can shift forwards constantly. It doesn't make you run faster, but it makes Faith sprint like she's a coked up The Flash. Combine that with glass streaking, and you're a hyperactive defacement extraordinaire.

This is quite the turnaround, considering Eurogamer mentioned you in an article about being upset. Guess playing IS different to watching.

I'm still a bit annoyed about the whole XP thing myself, although it isn't as bad as I feared. And, well, the game just feels so incredibly good in general that it's hard for me to get too upset.

Either people didn't try multiple times or I'm really skilled.
First one

Either way, happy to be in the top 10 of the first race for now:

It isn't has bad as I thought since landing is still time sensitive even without the roll skill, but I needed a bit of time adjusting my play style to account for the lack of quick turn though. I'm still going to play it and see how it plays out in the future but for the little time I put into it the game seems fine, not bad but not exceptional either.

Thanks again for the code darscot!

A-V-B

This is quite the turnaround, considering Eurogamer mentioned you in an article about being upset. Guess playing IS different to watching.

Yeah, it's a good turnaround. I wish I knew about some of the stickier points beforehand instead of being in the dark and having to gleam everything from streamer LPs. Literally what freaked me out was the upgrade system, seeing all that stuff on trees, tiered and branched out as if I'd have to unlock it all step by step. But it's really no big deal now that I know how it works.

You get all the important movement skills at the beginning except for three which take very little time to unlock.

I mean, if I can say that in one sentence, god why couldn't have someone else? Why couldn't have someone just said... that? Would've saved me and some other folks some worry (though maybe not all of them. Apparently some are even bigger sticklers about this than I am!)

I played for a few hours tonight and really enjoyed this. The running is excellent and I really like Icarus and Noah as characters. My biggest issue lies in the combat; it's not terrible but it's not that great. I'd rather just avoid enemies than fight them, but sometimes it forces you to fight. I'm also not a big fan of some movement abilities being locked behind the skill tree but getting XP isn't that hard so I can deal with it.

Overall it's really fun and I had a blast running through the city. Definitely going to play more tomorrow :)

A-V-B

My biggest issue lies in the combat; it's not terrible but it's not that great. I'd rather just avoid enemies than fight them, but sometimes it forces you to fight.

Yeah, they designed the combat system to be better than the first, and gave you abilities to just dodge enemies instead of standing your ground... but there are definitely more than a few combat sections which negate this entire overhaul, so... eh, it's weird. But it's tolerable when the rest of the game ranges from pretty darn good to great.

I'd absolutely love an Xbox One code if anybody would give one up. I'd give some Xbox Live trials for it if you like too, I'm really curious about this one.

A-V-B

Can i get pics of the unlock 'trees'?

Sure, but it doesn't work like it appears to. Everything that's gray is actually unlocked (most from moment one.) There are three core skills that are locked (roll, quickturn, coil) but you open them up in about an hour or two. By the time you've tried out a couple missions, they're pretty much in your arsenal, and no areas are gimped to keep "newbs" in the loop because even newbs will have already unlocked this stuff.

DUh35C1.png

Arklite

Sure, but it doesn't work like it appears to. Everything that's gray is actually unlocked (most from moment one.) There are three other core skills that are locked (roll, quickturn, coil) but you open them up in about an hour or two. By the time you've tried out a couple missions, they're pretty much in your arsenal.

It's still incredibly stupid that they lock essential moves probably to make their skill tree seem more relevant than it otherwise would be. Whatever though, if it's a brief fault so be it. The remainder of the game looks like a big upgrade

XAL

The first announcement teaser is the scene where she gets the tattoo

I think she gets the arm tattoo later in the game. The trailers make it seem like the arm tattoo has a significance to her mother's fate and family legacy.

A-V-B

It's still incredibly stupid that they lock essential moves probably to make their skill tree seem more relevant than it otherwise would be.

After playing it, I don't think that's the goal here.

Impossibly, insanely, what they said about not overwhelming new players with moves they'll forget? It might be true. I don't think it works super well as doing user-created time trials is actually a much better teacher, but that does seem to be the focus.

And there are definitely some upgrades. It's great to run everywhere. I've never had this much fun doing time trials and delivery missions in an open world game. Here's a thought for you: It's not Mirror's Edge that needs open world. It's open world that needs Mirror's Edge.

Combat is still kinda clunky, and not fun enough to force the player to use the moves, but it doesn't get in the way too much. Like it doesn't ruin the experience. Just one of those quirky Mirror's Edgey flaws.

Arklite

After playing it, I don't think that's the goal here.

Impossibly, insanely, what they said about not overwhelming players with moves they'll forget? It might be true.

Yeah, I don't feel bad about it, just annoyed. The combat is the only part that looks like it got really neutered, but I know most people wanted less of it anyway. I lament that the chase sequences seem to have lost some bite/tenseness without bullets whizzing past in the process but the core running seems to benefit greatly.

A-V-B

Yeah, I don't feel bad about it, just annoyed. The combat is the only part that looks like it got really neutered, but I know most people wanted less of it anyway. I lament that the chase sequences seem to have lost some bite/tenseness without bullets whizzing past in the process but the core running seems to benefit greatly.

Oh, enemies still have guns. These particular rifle-wielding guys repel down from choppers and bust through doors when you do something crazy like blow up a corporate antenna. Bullets will be whizzing. Your "flow" keeps them from killing you right away, but it doesn't last long so you'll definitely be running your ass off.

A-V-B

^ That definitely sounds better.

My only wish is for parkour baddies to chase me across the roofs, but there is a "professional" baddy in black armor who I saw once in a cutscene. In that cutscene he kicked my ass using martial arts. He doesn't show up in beta gameplay, so I presume his class will be the parkour-type baddy in the full game.

Saty

Sure, but it doesn't work like it appears to. Everything that's gray is actually unlocked (most from moment one.) There are three core skills that are locked (roll, quickturn, coil) but you open them up in about an hour or two. By the time you've tried out a couple missions, they're pretty much in your arsenal, and no areas are gimped to keep "newbs" in the loop because even newbs will have already unlocked this stuff.

DUh35C1.png

It doesn't make sense. You don't do a 19 total upgrades, have branches and tress that go all up abilities you already have starting the game and give 13 of them right-away. Because that would be pointless. I'm more inclined to believe most of the these 13 abilities were unlocked for the purpose of the Beta than DICE making a pointless upgrade system that is basically irrelevant after one hour. In some ways it would be worse to have that kind of an Upgrade system than having to unlock abilities tens of hours into the game.

Anyhow, it's still all terrible and shouldn't be gated. Tucking your legs, really? I need to unlock that? Next thing you tell me i'll need to unlock strafing and crouch-jumping in a FPS.
If they want to teach players and overwhelm them with controls and abilities then do the sensible thing of doling out abilities in uniform way as part of the main narrative of the game or for completing certain missions.

Btw, how does it play into the leaderboards? I see no indication if #1 has all abilities unlocked or if #2 has none unlocked. That makes a huge difference and makes the ranking misleading and not representative of player skills.

A-V-B

It doesn't make sense. You don't do a 19 total upgrades, have branches and tress that go all up abilities you already have starting the game and give 13 of them right-away. Because that would be pointless.

It would also be insane to lock them away because the abilities in that tree are essential to finishing the tutorial area (escaping from prison.)

I'm more inclined to believe most of the these 13 abilities were unlocked for the purpose of the Beta than DICE making a pointless upgrade system that is basically irrelevant after one hour. In some ways it would be worse to have that kind of an Upgrade system than having to unlock abilities tens of hours into the game.

Anyhow, it's still all terrible and shouldn't be gated. Tucking your legs, really? I need to unlock that? Next thing you tell me i'll need to unlock strafing and crouch-jumping in a FPS.
If they want to teach players and overwhelm them with controls and abilities then do the sensible thing of doling out abilities in uniform way as part of the main narrative of the game or for completing certain missions.

Btw, how does it play into the leaderboards? I see no indication if #1 has all abilities unlocked or if #2 has none unlocked. That makes a huge difference and makes the ranking misleading and not representative of player skills.

Look, dude, I was just as scared as you before I played. I voiced basically all of your concerns. I was named in a eurogamer article about gamers concerned about Catalyst!

I can't say trust me, because you don't know me, but I think it's no big deal so take that however you like.

And if they end up bait and switching us with a different tutorial level and a completely locked skill tree, well, we can resharpen our sticks and relight our torches. (But I don't think we'll have to.)

SomTervo

It's still incredibly stupid that they lock essential moves probably to make their skill tree seem more relevant than it otherwise would be. Whatever though, if it's a brief fault so be it. The remainder of the game looks like a big upgrade

It's not really stupid. I think the skill tree is a way of easing players into Faith's full skill set.

If all of these had been unlocked from the start, there wouldn't have been tutorial space to teach players all of them, and worse than that, many players would probably never know they were options. It's possible to play entire games and not know mechanics.

So putting them in the skill tree forces a mechanic where thenplayer HAS to read exactly how a move works to progress. Which is a good thing.

Uhm the game isnt running that well on the Consoles either.

I've been playing on PS4 and it feels almost like locked 60FPS and i havent seen any bugs. It's not the best looker ever but this is a beta build. It still plays like a dream, imo.

What platform are you playing on?

And there it is again, even though I applied for the closed beta the moment sign ups were available, I still didn't get an invite code....fuck me :/

Managed to score an XB1 beta code from a Twitch streamer earlier tonight. The beta build's only about 9 GB but took forever to download, so I only got a short time to play.

I was worried about Catalyst, but this beta has really made an impression. As others have said, a lot of the detail textures are very low-res and there is some choppiness in the animation during some cutscenes, but mechanically the game feels amazing. Movement felt fluid, speed was good, and at no time did the moveset feel artificially restricted. By the time I finished the first mission, I had 11/19 runner skills already unlocked just from doing the semi-guided stuff. It does run pretty smoothly at 60 fps but it looks like the XB1 is visibly rendering it at significantly less than 1080p resolution. However, it looks and feels great in motion which is largely the point for a game like this.

The first part of the game is kind of a tutorial in a sense, but it's not a verbose hand-holding one. At no point were there lengthy voices in your head telling you to hold LB to do this, press RT to do that, etc. It was mostly just visual markers integrated into runner vision. The game mostly lets you make a fluid run from the beginning to midpoint of the first mission, and it felt great. The combat does have a kinda dopey tutorial mechanic that you must go through, but I imagine it might be difficult to discover some of the "combos" otherwise.

Actually getting into combat felt much better than in ME '08. I beat up a few guys because the game demands it, but in the latter part of the mission I was mostly just evading them and it works perfectly well. The entry-level guards are only armed with billy clubs and it's pretty easy to avoid them...if you have the room. If they corner you in a hallway you can take them down with any one of a few sorta showy moves, like a slide-kick or a wallrun-propelled boot to the head.

I am particularly enjoying the in-engine cutscenes. It's a big step up IMO from the animated interludes from ME '08 and reduces the destruction of immersion. I'm actually pretty excited, too, about the free-roam aspect of Glass. Being able to explore around was something I'd really wanted to do in the first game, but couldn't. The collectible fetch-quests annoy some, but they play into my compulsion to explore and find things, so it's not bothering me.

And the soundtrack. Ohhhh yeah, it's Solar Fields. You cannot go wrong.

I loved the first Mirror's Edge. Catalyst is like coming home after being away for years and finding the same comfortable and familiar ambience completely unchanged, with the addition of some upgraded furnishings and new tech.

If cutscene frame rate and texture work can be polished up by release, I'll be pretty damn happy. The only other thing I really missed so far was the bone-shattering crunch that succeeded every fall from an extreme height. The ghostly exhalation you hear instead (during the loading screen after death) is strange at first, but it's almost like a reminder to relax and loosen up before trying again.

Gonna have a good time playing this all weekend and into next week, for sure. It reminds me of when I got the pre-release prologue demo for ME '08 and speedran it over and over.

Also, there's an 0451 reference early on. :)

So all the codes were sent out and those who didn't get any code by now won't get any in the upcoming hours or there is still hope?

I've been playing on PS4 and it feels almost like locked 60FPS and i havent seen any bugs. It's not the best looker ever but this is a beta build. It still plays like a dream, imo.

What platform are you playing on?

Ive played on both consoles and both consoles have issues. Especially Cutscenes are really struggling with the fps.
Gameplay wise there is a lot of stutter here and there.

Top Bottom