• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break coming to PC and Xbox simultaneously on April 5th (?)

If they are dropping support for x1 in important ways such as having exclusive games, that does not bode well for the long term of xbox division.

... Not as we currently know it, no. But they're clearly changing approach -- if this is even true, of course.

The only surprise here is that it's simultaneous really. Again, if true.

Hektor

Sony does not put its big games on pc, nor does nintendo, why is that?

Sony does Console exclusive deals that still allow for a PC version, like SFV for example. They also ported Helldivers and are in the process of porting Rapture.

They don't see PC as much of a thread to their business as each other is what i'm getting at.

Chobel

But this is just conditioning people to "wait for the PC version", and it reinforces the meme that all Xbox has is Halo, Gears and Forza.

Most of Sony's PS4 exclusives stay on PS4.

I seriously want to know what the hell is going on, none of this makes sense to me.

More platforms = more money.

You've got people on this very thread on the fence for Xbox purchase saying ah well saves me buying an Xbox. It very much hurts the console even more so if it's day and date.

Yup. QB is one of the few things that looks interesting on XBO. If it's another game coming to PC also though, then that's just one less reason for me to get an XBO.

You've got people on this very thread on the fence for Xbox purchase saying ah well saves me buying an Xbox. It very much hurts the console even more so if it's day and date.
I think the large international company has more representative information on criss-crossing demographics via its market research than what can be deduced from a handful of possible "concern trolling" posts on NeoGAF.

Fractal

Banned
Well, I'm not getting my hopes up just yet, but this would be great news if true. I expect to see the PC version eventually, but I must remain skeptical about a simultaneous release.

RyudBoy

If this rumor is true, I just wanna know if it'll be cross-buy. The heck is up with MS saying games will be cross-buy between XB1 and PC, yet none are so far? Gears of War Ultimate should've been the first.

Yes! Give Quantum Break every chance of being successful out of the gate rather than months or a year down the line like Alan Wake.

Yeah, preventing modding is so PC gaming. Get a clue. Denuvo is shit that only harms your paying customers.

While it does keep the pirates away we have not seen a sales increase in any Denuvo games caused by that. In fact it'll hurt the longevity of Just Cause 3. Just Cause 2 just kept on selling while getting mods, including JCMP, while Just Cause 3 will get nothing because you support bad DRM.

Not having Denuvo will hurt a game like Quantum Break more than not having easy mod support. I don't even believe that Denuvo has a noticeably negative effect on sales.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I think the large company has more representative information on criss-crossing demographics via its market research than possible "concern trolling" posts on NeoGAF.

So many people on here act like the people working at these companies are idiots and they know better.

LostDonkey

I think the fact MS puts a lot of its Xbox games on PC these days is because they now (and about time too) treat the PC platform as an Xbox service.

Whether you have the Xbox One or a Windows PC you can have access to the Xbox services and infrastructure. That's how it should be imo, it's the same damn company after all.

allan-bh

This always will happen. Doesn't mean that is relevant overall.

People that play hardcore games on PC aren't in the mass market of people that want a cheap console.

Lingitiz

Neogaf is an enthusiast forum and I'd bet one of the few places you'll find people willing to buy a console for one or two games or already having a PC and Xbox One.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It might be me, but I just don't feel the PC platform is comparable enough in market philosophy to consoles to even warrant concern behind "Xbox exclusives" making their way to both services instead of just the one.

Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo exclusives make sense as business as you the customer are buying into a locked hardware ecosystem financed and controlled by the parent company. You adhere to their rules, their services, their design, and in return receive access to buying exclusive software. Buying an Xbox/PlayStation/WiiU is like buying a hardware license to further purchase very specific software. Ergo the bread and butter of this business, that being gaming hardware, is to provide said software as exclusives to tempt a long term investment in the hardware itself.

The reality is that PC is not comparable as it is not a locked or controlled ecosystem by nature. Specific services within the PC ecosystem can be locked and controlled, but that's the point; they're optional and this itself is the competitive business. Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo compete with hardware space via software. The PC business is different, and instead publishers generally compete with services via software. And these services can be applied to any number of hardware configurations and designs that do not benefit the service provider/publisher with a monetary return.

Microsoft wants you to buy Quantum Break on Xbox One, because the assumption is that if you buy an Xbox One you probably game a lot on consoles, and they want you gaming in their console instead of the similar PlayStation 4 ecosystem, given a majority of software is a crossover between the two. Meanwhile people who game primarily on PC generally don't see the consoles as competitors, but instead a separate ecosystem. They might buy an Xbox One exclusively to play Quantum Break, but that's likely going to be where it begins and ends, sans other Xbox One exclusives. In short, they won't buy into the entire console software ecosystem, as they're already invested in one.

By providing "Xbox One exclusive" games on PC they are competing as a service, not as a platform, in an ecosystem that is all about services and not platforms.

ekim

Does MS even make money with a sold X1? There were some insane bundles and prices lately so I think it doesn't matter where people buy those games.

Kudo

Most people I know buy consoles for exclusives, and Remedy being close to our heart this is great news to us.
I think I have over 30 friends on PSN that bought PS4 for Destiny and Bloodborne, so people saying "Pc gamers aren't exactly the crowd they're marketing Xbox One to" feels really weird to me.

Theorry

But a sale is a sale I've been told. They don't do it as it weakens their console appeal, would you bother with either wii u or ps4 if it's big titles came to PC?.

Yes. Because i am not a PC gamer. And dont want to spend alot of money for a high end system and love to ease of use of a console.

Sony and Nintendo don't release their games on PC because no one expects them to.
No one expects them to, because they don't own the platform.
And they don't have a history of making statements how much they love the platform and promises of upcoming support.

Microsoft owns Windows, the most popular OS on the planet, and makes constant claims that they love PC as a gaming platform and how they have "so many things planned."

While they should know better, people form certain expectations.

madmackem

I think the large international company has more representative information on criss-crossing demographics via its market research than what can be deduced from a handful of possible "concern trolling" posts on NeoGAF.
You are acting like large companies don't make mistakes, ms is in this position because very smart people running Xbox serverly misjudged the entire market so I'm not going to hang my hat on them getting every move right.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Remedy has a long PC heritage and a large PC fanbase. It does not necessarily signal a significant shift in Microsoft's Xbox strategy yet but I'm sure we'll hear more at the upcoming Xbox event.

This whole thing raises more questions than answers for me, and I hope there's a more concrete strategy in place. There's a meme going around amongst some people that MS is acting like a wounded feral animal here, and letting games have day-and-date releases on PC doesn't help that at all.

I'd just like a long-term plan on getting out of that hole they dug themselves into, they had it going, but now? I'm not so sure.

jelly

They don't have a dominant OS with a store to leverage and can more easily reach, compete, control and profit from dedicated hardware with their ecosystem.

QaaQer

... Not as we currently know it, no. But they're clearly changing approach -- if this is even true, of course.

The only surprise here is that it's simultaneous really. Again, if true.

That is the big thing for me, and would be a pretty big signal of big changes.

IMO, it is a good move. If they are serious about the windows store, they need to give people reasons to use it such as lower prices, deep OS integration, and exclusive content. Get people dipping their toes, and then they might dive in.

You are acting like large companies don't make mistakes, ms is in this position because very smart people running Xbox serverly misjudged the entire market so I'm not going to hang my hat on them getting every move right.

Sure they make mistakes, the biggest one ever was the xb1 reveal, so I understand your trepidation. I was just trying to make a guess at why there could be a logic here.

ISee

Exclusive games are always a reason to buy a system. For me, as a PC player, it's even the only reason (I only own a ps4 because of infamous, bloodborne and some other exclusives I'm looking forward to). So yes you're right this doesn't seem to make sense especially in the UK and north america. But in all other regions (or most of them) the xbox one seems to be doing 'not too great', even a heavy hitter like Halo 5 (I think it's way more important than QB) didn't help to boost sales. So overall I do not think this is going to really hurt the xbox brand and a wider audience pool might help them to build a fan foundation and help promoting the tv show (still a thing?). And in the long run this might be more important.

EDIT:
Seriously is the TV show still coming?

I think the fact MS puts a lot of its Xbox games on PC these days is because they now (and about time too) treat the PC platform as an Xbox service.

Whether you have the Xbox One or a Windows PC you can have access to the Xbox services and infrastructure. That's how it should be imo, it's the same damn company after all.

This is it. They see Xbox as a platform, and not just a console.

Microsoft are looking at the bigger picture, whereas a lot of posts here are still stuck in console war mentality

Top Bottom