• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Treasury Secretary to announce Harriet Tubman to replace Jackson on the $20 bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Why was Jackson on the 20 to begin with? His legacy is essentially racism, attempted genocide and beating a man half to death on the white house lawn with his cane.

and apparently abraham lincoln's legacy is also of being a racist asshole and none of the other things he does matters, as is stated by someone else on the first page.

i think we can all agree that every president has done great and awful things at the same time. Jackson is important for our country in good ways -- that's why he is on the twenty dollar bill.

they didn't put him on the twenty dollar bill because of the trail of tears. to imply so is particularly callous and offensive.

Sean C

Yeah, but the Jackson 20s didn't enter circulation until the late 1920's, it was Grover Cleveland before that, I think.

I'm just surprised that it hasn't been changed since, to Kennedy or someone. It's good we're getting around to it now.
There haven't been any changes to the personages on US currency since the 1928 series, so it's not really that notable.

they didn't put him on the twenty dollar bill because of the trail of tears. to imply so is particularly callous and offensive.

I didn't mean to imply anything like that. I didn't know about his role in opening up the electoral system and was genuinely curious about what accomplishments of his would deem him worthy of being on our currency.

CrazyDude

Good... get rid of Lincoln and his racist spewing garbage.

"I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality ... I will add to this that I have never seen, to my knowledge, a man, woman, or child who was in favor of producing a perfect equality, social and political, between negroes and white men." -Abraham Lincoln.

Is that a man we want on our money?

Sure if you ignore that the crowd he was talking to was 1850s Illinois full of hardcore racists. Douglas and the Democrats constantly used an argument about how the Republicans by wanting to free the slaves meant that they wanted white to marry off their daughters to blacks and what not. Back then that kind of accusation would destroy a candidate for office. Most people in the north did not want social equality or give citizenship and voting right to blacks.

I think Fredrick Douglas said it best about Lincoln.

“Viewed from the genuine abolition ground, Mr. Lincoln seemed tardy, cold, dull, and indifferent; but measuring him by the sentiment of his country, a sentiment he was bound as a statesman to consult, he was swift, zealous, radical, and determined.”

Not saying that Lincoln did not have prejudices against blacks, but you would be hard pressed to find anybody at the time who did not.

Can't wait to see the uproar on social media about the person on the bill that no one gave a fuck about a day ago.

Its not about him, its about the ideals he represented and this election cycle shows there sure as fuck are people out there who have no problem with a 21st century Andrew Jackson.

UraMallas

Can't wait for the Rack City remix.

"Rack City, bitch, rack rack city, bitch. 10s, 10s, 10s, Tubmans on your titties, bitch."

We've come a long way.

Snaku

Banned
Oh this isn't gonna go over well in the south. I wonder how many businesses will refuse to accept Harriet's?

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I wonder how racist misogynists are going to adapt to this shit

"Two tens, please"
"Why not a 20?"
"TWO TENS, PLEASE"

najehe

Banned
Great pick with Tubs, but I am kind of disappointed they are taking Lincoln off the $5. There will be a point where Lincoln will not be on any currency, assuming the penny gets phased out.

Josh5890

Great pick with Tubs, but I am kind of disappointed they are taking Lincoln off the $5. There will be a point where Lincoln will not be on any currency, assuming the penny gets phased out.

That will be a sad day in this country if it ever happens.

giphy.gif

sphagnum

Banned
I'd be ok with getting rid of Lincoln on the $5 if we put Frederick Douglas on it instead with the Lincoln Memorial left on the back.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
RAWR, THEY'RE TAKING AWAY MY GOOD OLD DAYS

Mii

Banned

Maybe I interpreted the news wrong, but it sounds like Lincoln is staying on the front. Only the back is changing to scenes of the Civil Rights movement as a mural.

Also, Jackson isn’t getting completely booted off the $20 bill. He’s likely to remain on the back.

-From the Politico article.

Booooo. Take him off entirely.

This is an amazing decision otherwise, though.

$1: Keep the same, just too iconic.
$2: Also keep the same, just because it's not used.
$5: Lincoln on front and civil rights mural on back
$10: Hamilton on front, American science mural on back.
$20: Tubman on front, American Indian mural on back.
$50: Grant on front, American engineering mural on back.

Trash the $100 and the penny.

Keep the dime the same.
Rotate a series of American Indians on the nickel.
Keep up with the rotating themed quarters.
Rotate important women on the $1 coin.

Find a place for Teddy and his national parks.
We got a problem because FDR and Teddy gotta fight for a spot. We need both those guys on bills. FDR would look good on a hundo. Teddy's grin has to end up on our money somehow too.

Blue Calx

Amazing news! So glad Jackson is off the $20 bill. Edit: Seems Jackson might stay on the back which sucks but at least he's off the front of the bill.

Wow, this is sudden and unexpected (at least for me - not sure if there were rumblings about this before).

I'm cool with it though. I don't remember much about my history class except thinking Andrew Jackson was a son of a bitch.

Josh5890

We got a problem because FDR and Teddy gotta fight for a spot. We need both those guys on bills. FDR would look good on a hundo. Teddy's grin has to end up on our money somehow too.

FDR put people into war camps during WWII. If we are going to be attacking the founding fathers then FDR is fair game too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom