• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Treasury Secretary to announce Harriet Tubman to replace Jackson on the $20 bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Amazing news! So glad Jackson is off the $20 bill.
Apparently he's still lurking on the back of the bill, which is a real bummer.

Loxley

Excellent news. Would have been even better if he was replaced with a Native American, but I'll definitely take Tubman. Excellent choice.

If it makes you feel any better, it's likely that a number of the Native American leaders who would have been considered would probably have preferred to not have their faces on widely-circulated currency. Guys like Crazy Horse weren't too hot on having their likeness depicted in any shape or form.

massoluk

Banned
FDR put people into war camps during WWII. If we are going to be attacking the founding fathers then FDR is fair game too.

Their presidency aside, there is something clearly wrong with putting a guy who didn't believe in federal currency on a federal currency

-From the Politico article.

Booooo. Take him off entirely.

This is an amazing decision otherwise, though.

The solution is to get creative:

VCuEL7I.jpg

FDR put people into war camps during WWII. If we are going to be attacking the founding fathers then FDR is fair game too.
Something that no one should forget. America was fighting in the most important and bloody war of modern history after Pearl Harbor. Americans wanted blood and they got internment camps instead of slavery, genocide and manifest destiny that some were probably thirsting for. I'm just glad things didn't spiral far more out of control than that after Pearl Harbor and WWII.

Lincoln changed a lot over his presdiency as one his ideas originally was that freed slaves should go back to Africa as they would be happier there. By the end of the civil war he had completely changed on that issue and I don't think could be characterized as some huge racist. Jackson was terrible even by his own time standards

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
and apparently abraham lincoln's legacy is also of being a racist asshole and none of the other things he does matters, as is stated by someone else on the first page.

i think we can all agree that every president has done great and awful things at the same time. Jackson is important for our country in good ways -- that's why he is on the twenty dollar bill.

they didn't put him on the twenty dollar bill because of the trail of tears. to imply so is particularly callous and offensive.

But on the list of awful things presidents have done, the trail of tears is pretty damn awful.

And what was the good he did again? Vetoing the reapproval of a national bank? A move which is probably one of the worst economic decisions a president ever made, which is proven by the mere existence of the national $20 bill he is on today.

Sure, he was the first president that pandered to the common man, but it was also the first election where most of the states abolished land ownership requirements to vote, so it was the first election where pandering to poor white men was meaningful.

Honestly, I do think the trail of tears is probably the biggest reason he's on the note, which if you ignore the racist harm, was very meaningful to America being the big powerful country it is today. It's not like he was put on the bill after the civil rights movement. He was put on the bill in 1928 when there wasn't near as much consideration about the downside of manifest destiny. No official reason was ever given, but I think we can suspect that his most impactful decision is the primary reason he's on the bill.

Your days are numbered, Jefferson.

And Washington. And Franklin too?! Damn it, who didn't have slaves at some point?!

Jackson was pretty irrelevant but I highly doubt they'll remove the guy who authored the Declaration of Independence and the first President of the United States

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Beautiful news. Now I await one of my Native American brethren to get the same treatment.

SeanC

Apparently he's still lurking on the back of the bill, which is a real bummer.

Shit...

That makes it even worse now. It's like "Hey there's Tubman" but then you see creeper-Jackson in the background saying "Oh, hey, I'm also here and also caused the death of roughly ten thousand native americans. Just chillin, bros, YOLO."

Toxi

Banned
Say what you want about the other people on our money (There's a fucking lot to say about Washington), none of them committed genocide on the scale of Andrew Jackson.

The great thing about this too is that the dollar is used all over the world and for the longest time, it has always been white men on it. Now the world will see a black woman on our most used bills. Too bad about 2030 though but eh, considering how conservative in design the federal treasury is, I'll take it.

Socreges

Banned
Good... get rid of Lincoln and his racist spewing garbage.

"I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality ... I will add to this that I have never seen, to my knowledge, a man, woman, or child who was in favor of producing a perfect equality, social and political, between negroes and white men." -Abraham Lincoln.

Is that a man we want on our money?
Canadian here and somewhat ignorant of American history. Honest question. Was there a prominent political figure during Lincoln's time that spoke of equality between whites and blacks?

Canadian here and somewhat ignorant of American history. Honest question. Was there a prominent political figure during Lincoln's time that spoke of equality between whites and blacks?

Depends on what you mean by prominent. Thaddeus Stevens was a firebrand for emancipation in the House. There were numerous abolitionist speakers who weren't in politics.

It also depends on what you mean by "equality," I suppose.

Depends on what you mean by prominent. Thaddeus Stevens was a firebrand for emancipation in the House. There were numerous abolitionist speakers who weren't in politics.

It also depends on what you mean by "equality," I suppose.

Just about to post him. Not only did he want emancipation but he also wanted confiscated land from plantation owners to be distributed to the freed slaves.

Well, awesome.

Slipped her that Tubman

Now we in the tub...man

Fuck.

Good... get rid of Lincoln and his racist spewing garbage.

We're through the looking glass.

Any of them that were, were not about to get elected to the White House. Especially not without voting rights for blacks, which Lincoln supported in his last public address. John Wilkes Booth, present at that speech, killed him three days later.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yes, mostly because ATMs is my understanding.

Well that and most anything is a factor of $20 outside of fast food.

$60? That's 3 $20's. 80? 4. 100? 5 or 1 $100 bill if you have it spare.

Iksenpets

Banned
Their presidency aside, there is something clearly wrong with putting a guy who didn't believe in federal currency on a federal currency

I think the big thing is, while you can find plenty of acts of evil or distasteful views attributable to Washington/Jefferson/Lincoln/Hamilton/FDR, they all did demonstrably good things too, which in most people's estimation outweighs the bad. There is no redeeming bit for Jackson. What good did he do? I guess he skillfully navigated the Nullification Crisis? That's all I've got.

HUELEN10

I am not against Tubman being on currency.

I don't like the fact that she might replace AJ, at all. AJ killed the bank, was the anti-Hamilton and was literally worth twice as much. now? The damned Fed will erase him.

I fucking hate the Fed. Of course with them around, those that stood against their values will be erased, and JFK will never been on a bill.

Sean C

People have already mentioned Stevens; another would be Salmon Chase, Lincoln's Treasury Secretary (and later Chief Justice of the United States). True equality was a distinctly minority position, of course.

Trying to assess Lincoln's beliefs based on things he said in the Lincoln-Douglas debates isn't particularly sensible, though -- it tells you what he stood for as a politician at the time, but plenty of politicians today pretend to be more moderate than they are. In any event, Lincoln became much more militant on abolition and black civil rights over the course of the Civil War (as did the North as a whole).

I don't like the fact that she might replace AJ, at all. AJ killed the bank, was the anti-Hamilton and was literally worth twice as much. now? The damned Fed will erase him.

I fucking hate the Fed. Of course with them around, those that stood against their values will be erased, and JFK will never been on a bill.

Zero shocked..

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Washington is on currency for opposing the british and creating democracy.

Lincoln is on currency for opposing slavery and reuniting the country.

Jackson is on our currency for the genocide of native americans and taking over their terriritory.

Remember this is 1928 we're talking about here when they made the decision to put him on the $20. That's a time when Wild West traveling shows and silent films were very popularly depicting heroic white people setting up camp in the wild (ie not yet fully claimed) west defending themselves from the native savages.

Some of you guys think they thought Jackson was flawed because of the trail of tears, but decided to put him on there anyway because he killed the second national bank, started the idea of the president fully exercising veto powers, and forced North Carolina to pay their tariff taxes?

No, they put him on the currency because he was key in securing american land from the native americans.

Maybe Lincoln supported that decision, and that is a flaw of Lincoln, but Lincoln isn't on the currency for his support of that decision. Jackson clearly is.

I can never tell if you are serious.

Tagyhag

That's awesome, fuck Jackson.

Also, some of the thinly hidden racism on Twitter is hilarious.

"She wasn't even a President!"

Guess I missed Hamilton and Franklin then.

Josh5890

I think the big thing is, while you can find plenty of acts of evil or distasteful views attributable to Washington/Jefferson/Lincoln/Hamilton/FDR, they all did demonstrably good things too, which in most people's estimation outweighs the bad. There is no redeeming bit for Jackson. What good did he do? I guess he skillfully navigated the Nullification Crisis? That's all I've got.

This post nails it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom