• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 - 3 Gameplay videos (IGN)

commedieu

Banned
Is anyone else completely put off by the idea of being encouraged to drive a supercar that wouldn't clear a speedbump off-road with no I'll effects?...

Ugh....

come on. Clearly it can't bottom out at the first dip. Its fun. You can't realistically do a lot of things in games, but its still fun.

Cars can't go top speed for 4 minutes either. They'd run out of gas.

Metfanant

come on. Clearly it can't bottom out at the first dip. Its fun. You can't realistically do a lot of things in games, but its still fun.

I guess my love for the Forza franchise simply doesn't translate to it's less realistic cousin...

The idea of blasting across an open field at 100mph in a Lambo just kills it for me...

TheKayle

Banned
You can stop now and breathe. I said my piece and I'm done. We can revisit on release.

An Agenda I'm reported as having up above. I said what I feel so you're going to have to deal with it. I mentioned time to cook and lets wait on release.

ive been banned for 8 months for having some feeling too u know? :D

anyway this game look amazing

EmpReb

Banned
Is anyone else completely put off by the idea of being encouraged to drive a supercar that wouldn't clear a speedbump off-road with no ill effects?...

Ugh....
As a lover of the classic NFS like High Stakes and Porsche unleash... NO. In some ways this game has more of their spirit than NFS does anymore... why I might be getting a Xbone before a PS4 (I pretty much am sure that I will have both some day but not until the end of 2015.

Hip Hop

Looks so good. I was impressed with how the wet pavement looked when it stopped raining.

This game is day zero for me. Horizon 1 is easily my favorite racing game ever and I'm doing another play through now while waiting for my Xbox One to get back from the repair facility to get hyped.

That is what puts me off as well. I'm sure I'll learn to like it though. It just seems super arcadey, that doesn't quite fit Forza even though Horizon is meant to be the less serious version.

saladine1

Holy shit at the B Roll footage!
Looks ridiculously good.

It seems like they've also fixed the vehicle volumes....nice.

Soon you sons a beeches,,soon..

The_Dude

I think I may have set my expectations too high graphically, but I will probably end up getting an X1 when this releases
despite what I said in the announcement thread :)

pieman

Neo Member
The off road parts remind me of when Top Gear rallied a Bentley. Totally wrong but fun to watch... Link
Most racing games go to great lengths to stop you going off the tarmac, with sticky grass and penalties for even having a wheel off. Horizon has embraced this and taken it to the extreme, it may not work, but they are trying...

Is anyone else completely put off by the idea of being encouraged to drive a supercar that wouldn't clear a speedbump off-road with no ill effects?...

Ugh....

I'm with you on this one. As much as I appreciate the open worldness, I'd still rather race on roads (in supercar at least). To me, Forza Horizon was perfect on arcade/sim balance. I do hope that this off-road adventures were mostly to show new feature, and the game will be more tame with that.

Still, great looking game.

The off road parts remind me of when Top Gear rallied a Bentley. Totally wrong but fun to watch... Link
Most racing games go to great lengths to stop you going off the tarmac, with sticky grass and penalties for even having a wheel off. Horizon has embraced this and taken it to the extreme, it may not work, but they are trying...

That was amazing, I missed that episode. And damn at that last Balotelli joke xD

sinnergy

Guys, really, watch this.

I was kind of "meh" with the youtube and IGN videos and graphics but this... Wow, really, really nice! Still think that a big difference compared to other "unnamed" racers is the art direction of the environment. FH2 seems to have a slight more cartoonish feel, no idea why.

You just answered your own question ;) "Art direction"

p3tran

Banned
I don't want to be that guy, but is it just me or Forza Horizons just destroying visuals of Drive Club?
it does destroy it for scale, content (200 cars vs 50?) , weather and handling and tuning options and customization.
sound too I think from what I've heard of both, given they are are not muted/amplified/etc.

graphics? too soon to tell. and too much of a task, given scope etc. wont be a generation gap or whatever though if dc comes out looking better, thats for sure.

Ugh....
well, if yu only play simulators, I can understand.
but if EVER you play a different racing game, then you should be glad because now you can get your nfs/cmr/tdu/whatever kind of experience, but in a whole lotta more realistic way, given that no matter how simplified the forza 5 physics are for easy playability in horizon, there where still used as the foundation. and that about 1500% of a better starting place, than any other arcade racing game I can remember...

plus, it was mentioned that now you can have the damage effects from forza motorsport, not only the visual but the mechanical too.
it will be interesting to see if damage is only happening from car collisions or from other sources too.
(I think the best way for this to be implemented is to switch forza 5 mechanical damage on, in the most realistic difficulty level of horizon2, but the payout should be so big that even arcade players are enticed to try ;) )

veidi

Ralph Fulton also mentioned in one of these IGN Gameplay Videos, that not just Upgrades are back also Tuning will be in.
I am not a great Tuner, but this will make some people happy for sure.

chugen

ipF62cr3YRSms.gif

id61DWkOvkNtd.gif

iGLsJfpauHCIK.gif

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I guess my love for the Forza franchise simply doesn't translate to it's less realistic cousin...

The idea of blasting across an open field at 100mph in a Lambo just kills it for me...

i kind of agree. while the freedom horizon offers is nice to explore and in certain cars or to goof off, i like my racing on roads and this greatly impacts that.

still most of my racing enjoyment comes from free racing, so i'll play as i like

njean777

i kind of agree. while the freedom horizon offers is nice to explore and in certain cars or to goof off, i like my racing on roads and this greatly impacts that.

still most of my racing enjoyment comes from free racing, so i'll play as i like

If you really care that much get an off road car for when you go off road? Nobody is stopping you from doing that.

shandy706

I have to correct myself. I said earlier that the dynamic lighting looks the same as FH1, but just noticed that the rear headlights actually lighten up the asphalt. Thats something missing on FH1 right?

irsVfolaPzkrL.png

Now I want to see the improvements in cockpit view and with other cars in the scene

I always seem to be the one to notice even further details...heh.

I'd like to point out that it appears that the edge of the asphalt is casting a shadow near the grass on the right.

it could just be the raised edge...but it sure creates the effect.

Ugh....

I have to agree. It's one thing to not be a sim but this just looked straight up stupid.

That said, I loved everything else I saw of the game. Undecided on the handling though, it almost seemed like Ridge Racer style drifting.

eso76

it's an arcade but i wouldn't mind it if supercars were naturally penalized for going offroad.

Would make things more balanced and interesting being able to cut through the fields with my lousy pick up while the crazy fast zonda needs to stay on the road and get stuck in traffic :p

op_ivy

If you really care that much get an off road car for when you go off road? Nobody is stopping you from doing that.

i dont care that much, but as seen in this demo's race, you need a super car to be competitive and you need to cut across a massive field to be competitive.

like i said (or tried to), i'll stick to the roads when cruising and this wont bother me much. having the freedom to explore and go off road when appropriate makes any issues i have with it null and void. i'm happy overall its present, just will have a huge disconnect taking my laferrari through vineyards.

ekim

You are not forced to do this in the game. Just pick a car where offroad is realistic and stick to the roads with the supercars. I always smh when people complain about things in open world games that they don't have to use (like fast travel)

op_ivy

You are not forced to do this in the game. Just pick a car where offroad is realistic and stick to the roads with the supercars. I always smh when people complain about things in open world games that they don't have to use (like fast travel)

but you will be forced to. i seriously doubt the e3 demo race, as an example, would be remotely possible in an off-road dedicated vehicle OR by sticking to roads.

It's shennmu also... just don't :)

Yep, because all I have done is bashing this game so far... Oh wait. But I guess you should know about fanboyism.

I think the off-road stuff is weird and off-putting and I am not the only one feeling this way. I love the idea of being able to drive everywhere with every car, but would prefer to not have it in super car races at least. Physics should not be completely thrown out of the window. That said, game will probably be amazing, so I am done with this argument.

klodeckel

Banned
I love the lighting in that gif, it looks great.

Without the HUD it would partially almost look like "real footage" I think (of course just in gifs).

In their E3 trailer there also were 3-4 moments where I thought: "okay, that looked pretty much like real life". The HUD is really taking away that focus.

I hope that the cloud AI can be adjusted on the fly by the game so they don't fucking plow into everyone and everything when you want to race seriously, corner cutting is a valid horizon skill but driving into each other can be bullshit especially in forza 5.

Last thing we need is a full grid of M.Rossi's

Kura

Banned
Looks way better than Driveclub to me. This may make me get an XBOne. Well played MS.

Also, I think it's fair enough to expect a downgrade. I'm not sure if I should believe all this amazing stuff is running on a XBox : /

RetroStu

Banned
I hope that the cloud AI can be adjusted on the fly by the game so they don't fucking plow into everyone and everything when you want to race seriously, corner cutting is a valid horizon skill but driving into each other can be bullshit especially in forza 5.

Last thing we need is a full grid of M.Rossi's

You could always play it offline i suppose so it will have the standard ai.

op_ivy

Looks way better than Driveclub to me. This may make me get an XBOne. Well played MS.

Also, I think it's fair enough to expect a downgrade. I'm not sure if I should believe all this amazing stuff is running on a XBox : /

no. we have actual, honest to goodness gameplay with a full field of cars and weather. the game releases in sept. there wont be a downgrade

shandy706

Cruising through the video I wanted to see if small objects were indeed casting real-time shadows.

I also wanted to see if the reflections showed them in real time.

Good news...seems both are present and accurate :)

Fence pieces all cast shadows as they fly through the air.
cjzrdn.jpg

Sparks fly from hitting metal sign. Small flying fence piece from previous impact casting shadow on asphalt.
qfccbm.jpg

Small post that supports bushes in farm plot reflected as it flips up over the car.
ircxme.jpg

E92 M3

Cruising through the video I wanted to see if small objects were indeed casting real-time shadows.

I also wanted to see if the reflections showed them in real time.

Good news...seems both are present and accurate :)

Fence pieces all cast shadows as they fly through the air.
cjzrdn.jpg

Sparks fly from hitting metal sign. Small flying fence piece from previous impact casting shadow on asphalt.
qfccbm.jpg

Small post that supports bushes in farm plot reflected as it flips up over the car.
ircxme.jpg

That's cool!

Yet wing mirrors still don't self reflect on car doors.

Not hating on the game, just a peeve which has annoyed me since the 360 came out and racing games never made cars self reflect.

shandy706

Slightly off topic, but is there any cheap steering wheels for the xbox one coming out in time for Forza Horizon 2?

There is a "cheap" one for $99.

Not sure I'd spend the money on it though...seems to have bad reviews.

There are some "It's good for the money reviews."

$99 doesn't get what it used to. No bells or whistles..it does turn the car alright it seems...and you get pedals.

Here you go.

Top Bottom