• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony expects to Sell 20 million PS4 in current Fiscal Year (Apr 2016 - Mar 2017)

Fat4all

Banned
Only if they can get it down to $99 like PS2. Only reason PS3 hasn't sold up to PS1 levels is it's STILL $250 after 10 years.

Yeah, PS3's tech is just too damn expensive.

Also, I still don't see the PS4 reaching above PS2, but it'll do second best for sure.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
If anyone in the console market can reach 20 million this fiscal year, its Sony. They have a lot of boosters helping them...i just hope the new reveals are coming for E3 in terms of games...it seems we've been sitting on the games that have already been announced for years at this point with no new reveals in sight

Swass

PS4k should do 5m alone from people that own PS4 already... so 20M should be simple.

They will definitely get a sale from me where without an upgraded model they wouldn't have. That said, I plan to trade my current one in for the Neo so my used one will likely cannibalize a new console sale.

If anyone in the console market can reach 20 million this fiscal year, its Sony. They have a lot of boosters helping them...i just hope the new reveals are coming for E3 in terms of games...it seems we've been sitting on the games that have already been announced for years at this point with no new reveals in sight
Huh? There have been various new reveals.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
They will definitely get a sale from me where without an upgraded model they wouldn't have. That said, I plan to trade my current one in for the Neo so my used one will likely cannibalize a new console sale.

That is of course unless your PS4 doesn't get resold which is a possibility.

Huh? There have been various new reveals.

Since last year?

I want to see more things, even more things then that even

Osiris397

Banned
Sooooo...would you say they're aiming for 2% of the population?

No, I think they'll sell more than 20M, but it's a conservative number. My guess is that the devs that want to release in China have figured out what will work around the censorship obstacles enough that it won't be nearly the system sales obstacle it was when Sony launched and up until now. I also think there are skids of games that needed language localization that may just be hitting the market in the coming months.

Think Nintendo has a better chance with a new cheap console. Assuming te spec rumors are true.

I don't see how Sony will do it, next fiscal year sure, but they are releasing 2 experiments with no guarantee. But of course, they could be the next Kinect.

Boke1879

Can easily see this. With PS4k launching. PSVR, and the shitload of games coming out. I can easily see it. They'll probably sell above that.

Stanng243

Think Nintendo has a better chance with a new cheap console. Assuming te spec rumors are true.

I don't see how Sony will do it, next fiscal year sure, but they are releasing 2 experiments with no guarantee. But of course, they could be the next Kinect.

We already know the NX won't be sold at a loss, so i can't see it being cheap. And isn't the newest hardware rumor that it won't blow away any of the consoles other than the Wii U?

Model revision, VR, FFXV, Last Guardian, H: Zero Dawn, price cut, it won't be hard for Sony to pull this off.

Sony has manage to seriously eat into the previous Msoft console stronghold that was in the US between 2005-2013.

noobie

Banned
Historic Data
de803fa.jpg

We already know the NX won't be sold at a loss, so i can't see it being cheap. And isn't the newest hardware rumor that it won't blow away any of the consoles other than the Wii U?

I'm sorry did someone say nintendos new console will do 20million..in its first year?

f74d7d8e1a59aa483d26a904907f23fc.jpg

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
With PS4 Neo l really think they can create a fresh momentum just like PS4. I mean it will be day one pre-order just like the PS3/PS4. It's generating iPhone like hype for me personally, just needs a few games previews to show what it can do assuming the specification is good.

dabig2

Historic Data
de803fa.jpg

Good chart. So they're basically expecting a similar growth (~15%). Contrary to some opinions here, I don't see that as anything overly ambitious, especially if they drop the price of the standard PS4 and if their VR and Neo gets some noticeable buzz in the mainstream.

noobie

Banned
Good chart. So they're basically expecting a similar growth (~15%). Contrary to some opinions here, I don't see that as anything overly ambitious, especially if they drop the price of the standard PS4 and if their VR and Neo gets some noticeable buzz in the mainstream.

if you look at PS3 sales.. they managed to make a jump from 10.06 to 13 million (~30% jump) but from 13 they only managed to go upto 14.3 million (~10% jump) and never managed to even break 15 million.

So as you go higher it becomes difficuilt to go further high.. You are right that in %age term its only 15% but in absolute term i think its a massive jump.. And i personally 18.5 million is the top PS4 can reach at $299..

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
if you look at PS3 sales.. they managed to make a jump from 10.06 to 13 million (~30% jump) but from 13 they only managed to go upto 14.3 million (~10% jump) and never managed to even break 15 million.

So as you go higher it becomes difficuilt to go further high.. You are right that in %age term its only 15% but in absolute term i think its a massive jump.. And i personally 18.5 million is the top PS4 can reach at $299..
On the other hand, PS3 had two seriously tough competitors, now there are none. I would imagine that many consumers just bought Wii, because it was the gaming device everybody had. And others bought Xbox 360 because it had all the same games and then some, and it was perceived as the more successful "HD console".

Now PS4 is the top dog, Xbox One has pretty much nothing going for it and WiiU is a non-entity. In my opinion 20M is a very ambitious goal, but I don't know what Sony still has up their sleeve.

James93

Cut ps4 to 299.99, and the neo at 399.99 its very doable. There isn't much competition in the market place. Nintendo is a shit show. Microsoft has sold fine but hasn't really done enough to compete with ps4

im willing to bet that $299 price tag includes a game just like the 350$ currently does, i do wonder though is it gonna be COD again? or they gonna go with a first party title since this year looks pretty strong, they could go for a "buy a PS4 and choose between X Y Z" options (U4, GTSport (pre-order digital voucher or something) and/or whatever other game)

sense

i feel like there definitely will be a ps4 watch dogs 2 bundle for 299 in addition to cod bundle. i am expecting one more big game bundle that can rival star wars bundle from last year.

DavidDesu

Well I'm pretty sure you can sometimes get good PS4 bundles for around £250 on a regular basis in the UK. If they drop this to £200 and introduce Neo at £350 (launch PS4 price) or less then they're going to sell a fuckton of PS4's this Xmas. PSVR is only going to add to the PS4 proposition in most people's minds.

Sony are on a roll. Some truly great games incoming in the next year or two as well. They will annihilate the competition even more than they're doing so already.

No, that confirms they are going to make a profit on every sale. SO they aren't going to subsidize the hardware in any way.

Uh what?

The fact they are making a profit means that they are releasing something not far ahead. and even you mentioned the rumors that it won't blow anything out the water, which would make it even more likely to be cheap.

Uh what?

The fact they are making a profit means that they are releasing something not far ahead. and even you mentioned the rumors that it won't blow anything out the water, which would make it even more likely to be cheap.

Consoles are typically sold at a loss. If the NX is at all comparable to the PS4 or XB1 and not sold at a loss, then it would likely be well above the 200 to 250 dollar range. Ofcourse we won't know until we know, but so far the info doesn't indicate that the system will have a particularly cheap price tag.

Top Bottom