• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony expects to Sell 20 million PS4 in current Fiscal Year (Apr 2016 - Mar 2017)

yurinka

I bet they will sell more than 20M if not supply constrained.

- Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Titanfall, The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy, Persona, Deux EX, Horizon etc debuting this year at PS4.
- PS4 Neo and PSVR.
- Possible price cut.

geordiemp

They hit 17.7 last year. This year they have bigger games, a new system and a VR headset. Do you really think they can't sell an additional 2.3 million PS4s? Especially with people buying a PS Neo to go with their ps4?

And there it is, 17.7 they are looking for a 15 % increase YOY with a new enhanced console due and VR hardware.

Vena

They have to be including the PS Neo in those numbers, not separately. It's still a PS4.

That's his point.

A 15% YoY increase on the back of: 17.7 mil last year on the base model (give or take a new price cut and it maintaining a steady YoY growth/flatness), a new console revision (the Neo) which will get re-buys (that is, moving more hardware by having those already "in" buy more hardware), and a new VR accessory (to drive interest and be a cheap alternative to the Vive and Oculus).

There will be major double-dipping as well as a new market at the lower entry price.

No there won't. Half the promotion is for 4K support, which very few people have, the average consumer is going to get a little confused about what's going on since you have two systems playing the same games, and casuls, and gamers, are likely looking at the PS4 now, not the 4k, and it will be cheaper.

You are expecting both to explode without any drops for either of them which makes zero sense. This isn't the Xbox arcade, Xbox Pro, Xbox Elite.

They hit 17.7 last year. This year they have bigger games, a new system and a VR headset. Do you really think they can't sell an additional 2.3 million PS4s? Especially with people buying a PS Neo to go with their ps4?

Everything you said from your second sentence up also shows a high chance of sale cannibalization since VR and the same games will work on both.

- Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Titanfall, The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy, Persona, Deux EX, Horizon etc debuting this year at PS4.
- PS4 Neo and PSVR.
- Possible price cut.

Greatly overestimating the games above sale numbers and how much of that would move consoles.

Imo I think PSVR and the PS4k are what prevents it from reaching 20 million. Mostly because the PS4k sales will either be cannibalized or the other way around since the same games and VR will be on both.

Assuming that PS4k will be $400, and price cut for the original PS4 likely won't help the PS4k at all. imo

My predictions a few years back:

PS4
FY13 7.5
FY14 14.8
FY15 17
FY16 18
FY17 19
FY18 18
FY19 17
FY20 9
FY21 4

I think I have underestimated the Beastness of PS4, I definitely see their predictions coming to fruition for this year. Sony has always been on the cautious side with their predictions.

Stanng243

Greatly overestimating the games above sale numbers and how much of that would move consoles.

Imo I think PSVR and the PS4k are what prevents it from reaching 20 million. Mostly because the PS4k sales will either be cannibalized or the other way around since the same games and VR will be on both.

Assuming that PS4k will be $400, and price cut for the original PS4 likely won't help the PS4k at all. imo

You realize the PS4 and PS4 Neo will most likely be counted together? They are both PS4s, and play the same games.

Tagg9

I think this means the Neo has to be released this year. There's no way in hell Sony gets to 20m units otherwise.

duhmetree

No there won't. Half the promotion is for 4K support, which very few people have, the average consumer is going to get a little confused about what's going on since you have two systems playing the same games, and casuls, and gamers, are likely looking at the PS4 now, not the 4k, and it will be cheaper.

Half of the promotion? It hasn't even been revealed yet. That's a strawman argument.

The average consumer will not buy NEO. The average consumer doesn't even have a PS4. The average consumer will be enticed with a cheaper base model and the thought of PSVR. Sony enters a much larger market with a cheaper base model.

Then you have consumers like me. I have a PS4. I don't have 4K support but plan on buying a 4KTV and NEO whenever it releases. Double dipping will happen.

kyser73

You are expecting both to explode without any drops for either of them which makes zero sense. This isn't the Xbox arcade, Xbox Pro, Xbox Elite.

Everything you said from your second sentence up also shows a high chance of sale cannibalization since VR and the same games will work on both.

Your posts are confusing.

If someone buys a Base PS4, that's a sale.

If someone buys a PS4Neo, that's a sale.

The assumption being made in the thread is that Sony will count both as 'PS4 sales' toward that 20mn target. They aren't taking a sale away from Sony.

I think many of those sales will be people like myself who will be double dipping in a Neo.

If you're talking cannibalisation Neo/PSVR is going to be the most likely scenario as many who were on the PSVR bandwagon might switch to Neo and get the HMD later.

Osiris397

Banned
They're expecting a ramp up in China sales, which if they get their supply, sales channels and marketing right over there it's probably going to be significantly more than 20 million. Last Guardian is going to provide a healthy bump in Japan too. No Man Sky is going to be HUGE! By the end of July or whenever it is that Streetfighter V is actually finished, with an arcade mode it's going to sell big. Last of Us 2 confirmed. God of War 5, the Sony Bend game, Detroit, Horizon Zero Dawn, whatever the secret sequel game for Guerrilla London, Mass Effect, Overwatch, Dishonored 2 (wish there was a third person mode) and Destiny are going to move massive quantities of discs/downloads for PS4.

SONY IS LOADED FOR BEAR!!!

XOne basically has Gears of War and Crackdown for a smaller audience as far as major IPs in the pipe.

Nintendo is likely getting out of the hardware business and NX is a breakout Gaikai/PSNow service with a minimal hardware component as a controller box and it will be for downloading some games/DLC. Gaikai streamed and downloaded games where a huge benefit of the downloadable content was that you could install and begin playing before the full download of a game finished. Nintendo on PS4 exclusively would be LETHAL.

ethomaz

Banned
My predictions a few years back:

PS4
FY13 7.5
FY14 14.8
FY15 17
FY16 18
FY17 19
FY18 18
FY19 17
FY20 9
FY21 4

I think I have underestimated the Beastness of PS4, I definitely see their predictions coming to fruition for this year. Sony has always been on the cautious side with their predictions.
Pessimistic :p

kyser73

They're expecting a ramp up in China sales, which if they get their supply, sales channels and marketing right over there it's probably going to be significantly more than 20 million. Last Guardian is going to provide a healthy bump in Japan too. No Man Sky is going to be HUGE! By the end of July or whenever it is that Streetfighter V is actually finished, with an arcade mode it's going to sell big. Last of Us 2 confirmed. God of War 5, the Sony Bend game, Detroit, Horizon Zero Dawn, whatever the secret sequel game for Guerrilla London, Mass Effect, Overwatch, Dishonored 2 (wish there was a third person mode) and Destiny are going to move massive quantities of discs/downloads for PS4.

SONY IS LOADED FOR BEAR!!!

XOne basically has Gears of War and Crackdown for a smaller audience as far as major IPs in the pipe.

Nintendo is likely getting out of the hardware business and NX is a breakout Gaikai/PSNow service with a minimal hardware component as a controller box and it will be for downloading some games/DLC. Gaikai streamed and downloaded games where a huge benefit of the downloadable content was that you could install and begin playing before the full download of a game finished. Nintendo on PS4 exclusively would be LETHAL.

Sooooo...would you say they're aiming for 2% of the population?

You realize the PS4 and PS4 Neo will most likely be counted together? They are both PS4s, and play the same games.

Which is what I said before, you guys seem to be selectively reading.

Your posts are confusing.

If someone buys a Base PS4, that's a sale.

If someone buys a PS4Neo, that's a sale.

The assumption being made in the thread is that Sony will count both as 'PS4 sales' toward that 20mn target. They aren't taking a sale away from Sony.

I think many of those sales will be people like myself who will be double dipping in a Neo.

If you're talking cannibalisation Neo/PSVR is going to be the most likely scenario as many who were on the PSVR bandwagon might switch to Neo and get the HMD later.

Again, you aren't reading all posts, just picking ones out.

PS4k and PS4 having a sales doens't mean anything unless you expect both to do really well. Which CAN happen. But what also CAN and is likley to happen is canibalized sales. Which people for some reason are omitting as a "possibility" for some odd reason.

PS4k can lose sales to a price dropped PS4, and it being at $400.

PS4k could have a cap in its sales potential since so far it seems to be pushing for only really the 4K, which few people have in their homes in terms of TV.

Both PS4 and PS4k both have the same games and VR, that could hurt one or the others sales.

They both will be on the shelf as well. They also have different dev kits.

Which is what I said before, you guys seem to be selectively reading.

Again, you aren't reading all posts, just picking ones out.

PS4k and PS4 having a sales doens't mean anything unless you expect both to do really well. Which CAN happen. But what also CAN and is likley to happen is canibalized sales. Which people for some reason are omitting as a "possibility" for some odd reason.

PS4k can lose sales to a price dropped PS4, and it being at $400.

PS4k could have a cap in its sales potential since so far it seems to be pushing for only really the 4K, which few people have in their homes in terms of TV.

Both PS4 and PS4k both have the same games and VR, that could hurt one or the others sales.

They both will be on the shelf as well. They also have different dev kits.

2 options for the same system doesn't cost sales. That would only make sense if someone was gonna buy a ps4 but saw the ps4k and chose not to buy either. It isn't an actual problem.

2 options for the same system doesn't cost sales. That would only make sense if someone was gonna buy a ps4 but saw the ps4k and chose not to buy either. It isn't an actual problem.

One can cannibalize sales of the other what are you talking about?

Some may not even jump in with the PS4k announcement.

People this is the Xbox 360 Arcade/Pro/Elite, these are two different systems playing the same games with different dev kits, and judging by the specs, to different performance levels for VR.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Godspeed and good luck cause you'll need it. Along with quality software; mind-blasting quality software that is.

A price drop seems pretty likely in the run-up to Neo, sure.

I imagine they're also expecting the Asian market to start showing up once FFXV and Persona 5 are released.

One can cannibalize sales of the other what are you talking about?

Some may not even jump in with the PS4k announcement.

People this is the Xbox 360 Arcade/Pro/Elite, these are two different systems playing the same games with different dev kits, and judging by the specs, to different performance levels for VR.

Do you have evidence that the multiple skus hurt the 360?

You keep saying cannibalize sales, but it is not clear that you know what that means.

Fat4all

Banned
I mean this is NOT the 360 arcade/pro/elite, hence why I mentioned that the PS4 and 4k are different consoles. so you shouldn't treat them the same.

It's not canabalism because they don't care which system gets into new people's homes, the PS4 or the Neo.

Getting either of the two into a new home is the more important barrier for ANY console maker, as a majority of their money is made through software sales.

I doubt they are worried about the PS4/Neo being side by side in stores at all.

Blanquito

In marketing strategy, cannibalization refers to a reduction in sales volume, sales revenue, or market share of one product as a result of the introduction of a new product by the same producer.

While this may seem inherently negative, in the context of a carefully planned strategy, it can be effective, by ultimately growing the market, or better meeting consumer demands. Cannibalization is a key consideration in product portfolio analysis.

For example, when Apple introduced the iPad, it took sales away from the original Macintosh, but ultimately led to an expanded market for consumer computing hardware.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannibalization_(marketing)

Fat4all

Banned
Is there a thread already for any other news from their financial meeting?

If there is I can find it on Gaf too well :(

They play the same games and have the same UI. What authority do you have to decide that they should be treated differently?

One console is more powerful.

People you're losing me here. The PS4k is a more powerful consoles with dev kits aimed for it.

The 360 arcade/pro/elite were the same console with small insignificant changes in comaprisons.

The PS4k and PS4 are not the same system. They should not be treated the same as an Arcade entry level 360 and a mid-range pro 360. it's not going to work like that, there's a higher level of potential sales cannibalization.

spwolf

- PS4 Neo and PSVR.
- Possible price cut.

PS4k should do 5m alone from people that own PS4 already... so 20M should be simple.

It's not canabalism because they don't care which system gets into new people's homes, the PS4 or the Neo.

Getting either of the two into a new home is the more important barrier for ANY console maker, as a majority of their money is made through software sales.

I doubt they are worried about the PS4/Neo being side by side in stores at all.

If one makes one sell LESS or makes people confused and not upgrade or even jump in, that's 3 different hings Sony is likely not looking for (especially if the cannibalized sales hurt there new rumored $400 upgraded console.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And summer lesson...

That is the wild card right thurrr!

Easy 20 mil with that!

To be honest, so far japan is not contributing much to PS4 sales. I think PSVR could change that.
And summer lesson is one of the tentpoles.

I see what you did there.

If one makes one sell LESS or makes people confused and not upgrade or even jump in, that's 3 different hings Sony is likely not looking for (especially if the cannibalized sales hurt there new rumored $400 upgraded console.

What are they 'cannibalizing'? It is still a PS4 that plays the same software, hahaha.

You baiter you.

vroom vroom

Stanng243

If someone wants a PS4, how is having 2 models available that run the same games jump in? I can't see someone wanting to buy a PS4 saying, "well, there are 2 models so I'll buy an Ouya."

Fat4all

Banned

That still doesn't stop consoles from getting into homes and more software being sold. That's exactly why they track by number of consoles sold and now on the price of the consoles. And if you don't think Sony is working heavily on exactly how to market the Neo correctly, your crazy.

Your posts read like concern for concerns sake.

Bastables

It why smartphones with their hardware revisions have resulted in the continued dominance of Motorola phone, all those revisions resulted in consumers just passing on the confusing overpriced smartphones. It might also explain why annual car releases are proven losers and laughed out of boardrooms.

Personal story: When I was looking at changing from my old iPhone 4s, Apple tried to kneecap me by releasing a 6 and 6+. It was so confusing that I had a crisis of confidence in the way I was living my life, two models? Do I even need a phone computer thing with all my music and podcasts? What's a man to do: I brought the 6.....

- PS4 Neo and PSVR.
- Possible price cut.

I like how Gravity Rush 2 is just completely ignored(even by Sony). :(

xaosslug

- PS4 Neo and PSVR.
- Possible price cut.

Horizon will more than likely be pushed to early 2017, probably May like U4?

Top Bottom