• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

superbrothers: sword & sworcery ep | 2011 Indie Hype

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
SmokyDave said:
Kinda. Doesn't seem to be showing on the iPhone app store but if you open Safari and google for 'Sword & Sorcery App Store', you can download it from there.

That's weird, this morning the universal app was showing just fine for me on my phone's app store. I just searched for Sworcery and both versions were there. This was at about 7.30 this morning.

SmokyDave

Jedeye Sniv said:
That's weird, this morning the universal app was showing just fine for me on my phone's app store. I just searched for Sworcery and both versions were there. This was at about 7.30 this morning.
Hadn't reached Nottingham by 8.00, I too check my phone at breakfast :)

It's showing now though. All is well with the world.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
noneofexion said:
No retina display on either version (Micro / Universal) for iPhone 4 or Touch 4G?

I've got the universal version and I don't know if it's retina or not but what I do know is that it looks crisp and there is absolutely no loss of detail if it's not in retina. It looks great.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
oh man I feel silly, I started playing this and was at the bit where you meet the first guy
who walks with you, then you go in a big mouth to find something. I dicked around in there, did something at the end with a big tri-forcy thing and I didn't pay attention to the text. I come back out and that guy is waiting for me to go do something I said I would, now I don't know what that is :/

seems like a fun game though, but I wasn't giving it the attention/headphones. I'm gonna wait till portal 2 is done and the general 'oohh ipad' phase has worn off then give it a proper play through.

ramyeon

Just played through this on my iPad and got 100%. Probably one of the most gorgeous gaming experiences I've ever had, so much atmosphere.

Yoshiya

ramyeon said:
Just played through this on my iPad and got 100%. Probably one of the most gorgeous gaming experiences I've ever had, so much atmosphere.
Agreed. Just finished it the other day; it was everything I hoped it would be. Now to buy the album...

Yoshiya

noneofexion said:
I love the look of the game - but after getting 100%, do you have any desire to go back and play it again - or was the single playthrough enough of an experience to justify the purchase, in your opinion? Does the game encourage replay, other than being amazing looking and sounding?
A single playthrough is absolutely enough to justify the purchase. In some ways it reminds me of the original Portal - compact, masterfully executed, completely satisfying and leaves you with the feeling that when the game is finished it's, well, finished. I'll definitely do another run sooner rather than later but I haven't picked it up again since I reached the end a couple of days ago. I just don't feel I need to.

hiryu

noneofexion said:
I love the look of the game - but after getting 100%, do you have any desire to go back and play it again - or was the single playthrough enough of an experience to justify the purchase, in your opinion? Does the game encourage replay, other than being amazing looking and sounding?

Dude, it's fucking $2.99.

ramyeon

Gotta agree with the post above mine. It's a really complete experience down to every last pixel and every track of music. I'm sure I'll play it again some day but even if I don't then the money spent was well spent anyway.

Edit: and yeah... It's not a huge investment so just get it ;)

SmokyDave

hiryu said:
Dude, it's fucking $2.99.
Yeah. I didn't want to be the grumpy one that said it, but I'll happily quote it.

FWIW noneofexion, I loved it the first time and I will definitely be playing it through again.

noneofexion said:
I understand "it's 2.99" - but I qualify "for entertainment" purchases before making them, whether they be 99 cents or 2.99 or 599.99 US dollars. Different strokes, folks.

Thank you others for more useful responses than hiryu's.

B-)
We will be updating the game itself, but if playing through a game to completion isn't enough to justify a purchase, that's ok. Some people come to games for different reasons. Ours is a game about art, sound, experience, thought, and so on. If you want an infinitely replayable game this is not it. But it is an experience worth experiencing, if you like games.... but then again, i am mighty biased :)

Also, HUGE THANKS to DangerousDave. What a great, helpful dude. GAF community love abounds.

timnich

Found a glitch that forced me to quit the game. Second session spoilers!!:
It was right after fighting the wolf for a second time where you collect the sprite by touching the trees in spirit mode or whatever. I moved the screen so that the hero was all the way in the corner, but I wasn't able to to move back. I was in whatever the spirit mode is called and wasn't able to grab the sphere that allows you to pull the screen, so I was just...stuck. I tried every imaginable way to get out of it but couldn't manage it.
Luckily the game saved when I entered the area, so no progress was lost, but it was still a little annoying. Other than that, I am loving the entire experience. Totally worth the 2.99!

noneofexion said:
The work is indeed beautiful, and thank you for acknowledging different viewpoints. Although I do tend to purchase heavily replayable games, there are exceptions, hence my questions!

It is a fantastic looking game, will retina-display res support be added at some point for the Micro version? Any hints on what kind of updates are in store?
I'm a huge fighting game fan - replayable games are where most my gaming time goes to, so i definitely appreciate where you're coming from. Value, in general, is subjective :)

We're working on updates of varying styles - from content through features like retina. Though i dont want to promise anything (we literally just finished the game!) we will support it as best we can.

timnich said:
Found a glitch that forced me to quit the game. Second session spoilers!!:
It was right after fighting the wolf for a second time where you collect the sprite by touching the trees in spirit mode or whatever. I moved the screen so that the hero was all the way in the corner, but I wasn't able to to move back. I was in whatever the spirit mode is called and wasn't able to grab the sphere that allows you to pull the screen, so I was just...stuck. I tried every imaginable way to get out of it but couldn't manage it.
Luckily the game saved when I entered the area, so no progress was lost, but it was still a little annoying. Other than that, I am loving the entire experience. Totally worth the 2.99!
Hmmmm... that's a weird one. Haven't heard that one yet, but I'm gonna cut & paste your report and pass it to Frankie & Jon aka the #sworcery code dynamic duo for a peak.

castlegar

I seem to be experiencing audio problems - I'll start the app and get no sound whatsoever (headphones and not). Anyone else having similar issues?

iPhone version, btw

castlegar said:
I seem to be experiencing audio problems - I'll start the app and get no sound whatsoever (headphones and not). Anyone else having similar issues?

iPhone version, btw

Yea I had that problem, I tried everything then went into itunes started a track, stopped it, then tried the game again and it worked.

Minsc

Gold Member
noneofexion said:
The work is indeed beautiful, and thank you for acknowledging different viewpoints. Although I do tend to purchase heavily replayable games, there are exceptions, hence my questions!

It is a fantastic looking game, will retina-display res support be added at some point for the Micro version? Any hints on what kind of updates are in store?

It was said in the iPhone/iPod/iPad thread the Micro version did support retina-display:

quetz67 said:
Sworcery is definetily Retina in the menus, where you can actually see it.

And yeah the multi tasking is broken, but that will be fixed next version I am sure.

And I can confirm it via a screenshot too. The edges of the circular dialog box are indeed retina.

Did my exuberance get the better of me? I was so excited to purchase I bought the "micro" edition before the universal binary was out (last night). Are there differences between the versions other than supported hardware? Resolution, for example?

Numpt3

castlegar said:

iPhone version, btw

Yeah same here, turning the phone off and back on sorted it for me.

metsallica said:
Did my exuberance get the better of me? I was so excited to purchase I bought the "micro" edition before the universal binary was out (last night). Are there differences between the versions other than supported hardware? Resolution, for example?
Micro = iPhone, iTouch, no ipad. If you don't have, and never will have an iPad, save $2.
Universal = iPhone, iTouch, iPad. If you have 2 devices, or might have 2 devices. This might be better.

Those are the only differences good sir.

kswiston

After listening to the soundtrack on Bandcamp 3-4 times this past week, I decided to buy my first game soundtrack. I figured I should support Jim Guthrie, being a fellow Canadian and all.

I unfortunately don't own any compatible iDevices, so buying the soundtrack is all the support I can give right now. If the game is ever ported to PC/PSN/XBLA, or if I ever end up getting an iPad, the game will definitely be a day one purchase. Loved Critter Crunch and Clash of Heroes. Keep up the good work Capy!

metsallica said:
That's what I get for listening to coworkers. Thanks, CW! I've been embiggened by your truth-rays.
Nice reference-catching :)
kswiston said:
After listening to the soundtrack on Bandcamp 3-4 times this past week, I decided to buy my first game soundtrack. I figured I should support Jim Guthrie, being a fellow Canadian and all.

I unfortunately don't own any compatible iDevices, so buying the soundtrack is all the support I can give right now. If the game is ever ported to PC/PSN/XBLA, or if I ever end up getting an iPad, the game will definitely be a day one purchase. Loved Critter Crunch and Clash of Heroes. Keep up the good work Capy!
Supporting Jim is just as good, or better, than buying the game. Jim's music was the heart, soul and motivation for a lot of the project, and his achievement with the soundtrack is (imo) monumental. It is a beautiful piece of work that hits a mark few soundtracks do. Plus, he's just the best guy ever.

Thanks for supporting Jim & the capy love!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Only did the first scenario on iPhone. Not bad, not blowing my mind either. I have issues with the general movement and selection. It just feels like more effort must be made to get the game to register moving around the screen than it really should.

With all of the hype about rotating the phone for combat, I was expecting something FAR more interesting than a total loading cut to a separate screen with virtual buttons. Seemingly negating the entire intrigue, I mean what is the point exactly? The sole sword puzzle in the first session that required rotation was more inventive at least, giving at least a bit of contextual purpose. I'll see how it pans out.

I guess I am a product of the extreme hype, the game looks and sounds great for sure, but it's far from the 'gaming savior' for the iOS that the crazies are making it to be.

LiK

Cromulent_Word said:
Micro = iPhone, iTouch, no ipad. If you don't have, and never will have an iPad, save $2.
Universal = iPhone, iTouch, iPad. If you have 2 devices, or might have 2 devices. This might be better.

Those are the only differences good sir.
Oh, thought Micro had a better resolution for some art assets than Universal version.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Jedeye Sniv said:
I've got the universal version and I don't know if it's retina or not but what I do know is that it looks crisp and there is absolutely no loss of detail if it's not in retina. It looks great.
No loss of detail during the game is true, as the graphics are pixelled by design, but I can tell they are not running in high res as the pixel edges are not as defined as they should be.

It's similar to when the game 'Edge' for retina update. it looked sightly sharper despite the pixelled look when zoomed in.

It's no big deal, game looks and plays great.

The game is mind-blowing. Just finished the second scenario.
Everything about the triforce battle (music, combat, visuals) was intense.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
What a fantastic game. Absolutely worth the wait. However, there's this audio glitch that someone else on this page has reported where the audio will get cut off. I had the game running in the background when I had it go to sleep but when I turned it back on, the audio just stopped. Restarting the app fixed it but I guess it's just a heads up for some future bug fix update.

Jangaroo said:
What a fantastic game. Absolutely worth the wait. However, there's this audio glitch that someone else on this page has reported where the audio will get cut off. I had the game running in the background when I had it go to sleep but when I turned it back on, the audio just stopped. Restarting the app fixed it but I guess it's just a heads up for some future bug fix update.
Yup, we're aware & working on it. Could be a simple audio engine (FMOD) update to fix it, so it'll be in the next update assuming all goes well.

Thanks for the love too!

chris121580

Stuck in session III :(
I'm having some serious problems. I know if I enter the dream with the full moon that I'm supposed to have bubbles where I can go into sworcery mode, particularly where Jim Guthrie is sitting and playing guitar. They're not there and even if I try to go into the mode, things that should be touchable aren't. I have 3 stars showing as my health including not an empty 4th one. Do I need to have 4 full stars to go into sworcery mode? Really stuck here so any help is appreciated. Also, I've already completed the dream for dark moon

chris121580 said:
I'm having some serious problems. I know if I enter the dream with the full moon that I'm supposed to have bubbles where I can go into sworcery mode, particularly where Jim Guthrie is sitting and playing guitar. They're not there and even if I try to go into the mode, things that should be touchable aren't. I have 3 stars showing as my health including not an empty 4th one. Do I need to have 4 full stars to go into sworcery mode? Really stuck here so any help is appreciated. Also, I've already completed the dream for dark moon
Hmmm, not exactly sure what you mean, but pocketgamer put together a pretty rad walkthrough, if you're uber-stuck feel free to check it out: http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Superbrothers:+Sword+&+Sworcery+EP/feature.asp?c=28754

chris121580

Yeah I checked that out. I'm afraid it may be a glitch but basically where the bubbles are supposed to be to go into sworcery mode, they're not there in the spots listed in the walk through

colinp

Banned

burgerdog

Does the game suffer from a no sound/music bug? I'm playing on an iPhone 4 and after resuming the game there's no sound at all.

Jonnyram

Brandon F said:
Only did the first scenario on iPhone. Not bad, not blowing my mind either.
Play more. If anything, the first scenario is a tutorial. The real intrigue comes in the next scenario, and you'll find a more uses for rotating the device than just going into a fight.

Eccocid

WHOA WHOA WHOA! ALMOST CRIED WITH JOY!

got it last night. Went ot bed, turned off lights put on headphones and played it first time. One of the most intense and beautiful gaming experiences in my life!!!

Only finished first chapter. The last parts of first chapter was amazing! The music the animation. OH MY GOD! I am dying to play it more but its daylight now lol!

Please - spare the hyperbole.

I'm all for being excited, but this kind of ridiculous praise skews others perception. As noted from Brandon on this page.

As you were!

Eccocid

An Owl With Knees said:

I'm all for being excited, but this kind of ridiculous praise skews others perception. As noted from Brandon on this page.

As you were!

After playing it last night this morning i woke up and call my friends to buy this game lol!

I dunno after reading hype and stuff it may disappoint ppl, the best approach to games like these would be without reading too much about them and raising expectations and let the game surprise you.

chris121580

An Owl With Knees said:

As you were!
Thanks for the contribution

hyp

An Owl With Knees said:

As you were!

let the guy be hyped and happy if he wants to be. why the fuck do you care so much?

chris121580

chris121580 said:
Ugh, I even re-started my entire game and have ran into the same problem. This really sucks

POWERSPHERE said:
This is probably old news, but that first guy you meet, is that voiced by Robert Ashley?
Indeed it is.
chris121580 said:
Ugh, I even re-started my entire game and have ran into the same problem. This really sucks
Shoot me a pm with any info you have and your email plz.
burgerdog said:
Does the game suffer from a no sound/music bug? I'm playing on an iPhone 4 and after resuming the game there's no sound at all.
It's a known issue, has to do w/ multitasking + audio memory demand. We're looking to fix it in an update, but for now restarting your phone should resolve it.

Cromulent_Word said:
It's a known issue, has to do w/ multitasking + audio memory demand. We're looking to fix it in an update, but for now restarting your phone should resolve it.
If you end the task, and restart the app, it seems to work as well.

Bento

I finished the game about 15 minutes ago and must say that Sword & Sworcery ranks alongside The Quest as the best Iphone/Ipad game I've played so far. Simply a stunning effort from start to finish by everyone involved :eek:)

An Owl With Knees said:

As you were!
Brandon's expectations aren't my problem. The game is incredible.

Bento said:
I finished the game about 15 minutes ago and must say that Sword & Sworcery ranks alongside The Quest as the best Iphone/Ipad game I've played so far. Simply a stunning effort from start to finish by everyone involved :eek:)
Thanks Bento. We put a lot into it so it's great to hear from people that are getting a lot out of it.

Here's the soundtrack link just in case anyone is interested.

http://jimguthrie.bandcamp.com/

sometime next week i'll probably give away a few codes;)

Also, Jim's doing another run of Vinyl...

4003479035-1.jpg

Top Bottom