• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl: First Look (~6 minutes of clips from the upcoming Fall CBS show)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If my soon to be 7 year old understands they're different than I think most people will understand. By the way he understood right off the bat because he said Man Of Steel's ships were different.

Saw the Pilot, really liked it

I love how that waitress goes, "Golly gee a female hero! Nice that someone exists for my daughter to look up to" I laughed.

She should have continued with, "Too bad they are probably gonna cut her from the merchandise and refuse to make a movie bout her since female heroes don't work."

"Why is she called Supergirl? Shouldn't she be Superwoman? Isn't this Anti-Femenist?"

Holy shit! Why are they trying so goddamn hard?
This was never a concern in regular Superman

Generic Bad Guy: On my planet, you bow before males
Supergirl: This is not your planet!

Are you serious? What is this? Are the creators insecure or do they think the viewers are insecure?
Hey remember when the Justice League animated series had the Feminism episode? No? Because that didn't happen!
Why don't they call the show Super-Feminist: Battle Against Patriarchy! Build lore, create a universe, not this shit

Director Henshaw: She's not strong enough!
Agent Danvers: Why? Because she's just a girl? That's what we're counting on!

I am done. One and done. This is what I meant when I said the Animated Shows are much more mature than the live action ones.

Just watched the pilot, and... well, it was okay.

Melissa Benoist is adorable as hell, and she's great in the role. That's what I liked best about the show, and the reason I'll give it a shot.

But the rest of the supporting cast is... eh. Maybe they'll grow on me, but I'm not loving them now.

My biggest complaint, though, is that the action just wasn't very good. Maybe I've been spoiled by The Flash, but I was expecting more out of this show's special effects. I mean, it's a CBS show and not a CW show, so surely it has a bigger budget, yeah? So why does The Flash look so much better? That show absolutely nailed the super speed effect right out of the gate. But this show... well, let's go over her abilities.

Faster than a speeding bullet? Super speed wasn't present at all. They really need to borrow The Flash's super speed effect here (minus the lightning, of course).

More powerful than a locomotive? The truck part was good, but other than that, I never really felt her super strength. During the fight scene, I just didn't buy at all that her flailing arms had super strength behind them. I don't expect her to know kung-fu or anything, but she really needs to learn how to throw a convincing punch. Though aside from that, I don't know what they could add or change. I just know that when I watched, say, Man of Steel or Superman TAS, I absolutely got the sense that, yes, Superman is an unstoppable force, and I definitely didn't get that feeling here.

Able to leap tall buildings? She flew a lot, but the flight effect just wasn't very good for the most part. If she's going to keep flying a lot, I hope they improve on this effect.

So, of her three main powers, one was completely absent and two of them weren't portrayed very well. I'm not sure I totally buy her as Supergirl yet.

All in all, I just didn't get anywhere close to that, "Holy shit this show is going to be amazing, I can't wait for more, in fact I'm going to watch the pilot again!" feeling that I got after watching The Flash's pilot. Which, okay, maybe it's unfair to compare it to The Flash, because that show's pilot was particularly exceptional. So I guess my reaction without comparing it to The Flash is more along the lines of, "This could be okay, it certainly has potential, let's see where they go with it."

Oh, and with the fact that Superman has been around for years in this universe, I really hope they don't cross over with Flash/Arrow now. I don't think they could give a satisfactory explanation for why we haven't ever heard him mentioned before.

Finaika

Obviously they won't show-off all of her abilities in the very first episode.

I'm more surprised they showed her cool looking blue heat vision in this.

Wiktor

Obviously they won't show-off all of her abilities in the very first episode.

I'm more surprised they showed her cool looking blue heat vision in this.

The best thing about the heat vision to me was that after it stopped her eyes still were glowing blue for a while before they got back to normal. Very nice, small detail that really helps to sell it.

Joni

Remember, nobody on GAF pirates. And piracy is not a problem for the games/music/movie industry (content producers simply need to create better material!).
The problem is, there is no legal way to actually see this at the moment. And that is assuming this isn't a marketing ploy. If it is, it is harder to call it hurting the show. I'd also call it different from the Game of Thrones leak for instance where half the show is leaked just before the premier. Here it was one episode, well in front of the actual release so most people will have to rewatch it anyway.

Enjoyed it. It's just a pilot so there's time for it to improve. Kara is super cute, that's some good casting for her. Dean Cain's cameo made me laugh, where has he been since Lois & Clark?
I am done. One and done. This is what I meant when I said the Animated Shows are much more mature than the live action ones.
image.php

Uh-huh.

Shadownet

Banned
Some of you guys are overly harsh with this pilot.

Some of this is GAF nitpicking as it finest.

One guy is talking about how she wasn't using her superspeed, or that her super strength wasn't convincing. I mean, I thought for a TV budget, super strength was good enough.

But did that guy really expect them to show off all the powers at once in a 45 mins episode? Even Small ville introduced Clark's powers once by once. Even his "superspeed" at the beginning was just a fraction of how fast he was going later on in the series.

You guys are forgetting that Kara powers in this show might not be as developed as her cousin Clark. Clark has been Superman for years before she arrived. He's been training and fighting. While she has been giving comfortable family life with the occasional visit for Clark to teach her the basic about controlling her powers.

Did you expect a woman in her early 20's with almost no training to have the same powers level as a man who has been doing this for probably 10 years now?
-------
I thought the Jimmy Olsen delivering some advice and giving her his old blanky was perfectly fine. In the context of the show, I'm sure Jimmy was given that before he moved go National City, when Superman met and ask him to watch over Kara. I'm sure they will touch upon why Superman is so busy that he can't come see Kara for this or to help with the aliens.
-------
The only 2 two things about the pilot that made me cringe was the whole feminism thing. Its not that I'm against feminism but its just that it was written poorly. The casting for Kara was great, I liked it. The 2nd thing I dislike was they didn't even say Superman.

Just say it, for the love of god. Your awkward pronouns are just making the whole exchange weird.

In term of pilot episodes. Its still weaker than Flash and Arrow. But Flash pilot started off generically too. Killing off the generic bad guy. But the ending fight was cool.

Can't wait for Supergirl 2nd episode. I think it will do better than the pilot if Flash and Arrow are of any indication. (They got even better as time goes on)

Dcube

Watched the pilot over the weekend and really like it.
Supergirl is cute and charming as hell.
I thought the action was really fun and well done for a TV show too.
I actually hope they lay off the crossovers, give the show time to grow on it's own.
Superman included, I like that they established him, but leave him out of it and let Kara develop on her own form here.
Looking forward to where it goes from here.

Finaika

Some of you guys are overly harsh with this pilot.

Some of this is GAF nitpicking as it finest.

One guy is talking about how she wasn't using her superspeed, or that her super strength wasn't convincing. I mean, I thought for a TV budget, super strength was good enough.

But did that guy really expect them to show off all the powers at once in a 45 mins episode? Even Small ville introduced Clark's powers once by once. Even his "superspeed" at the beginning was just a fraction of how fast he was going later on in the series.

You guys are forgetting that Kara powers in this show might not be as developed as her cousin Clark. Clark has been Superman for years before she arrived. He's been training and fighting. While she has been giving comfortable family life with the occasional visit for Clark to teach her the basic about controlling her powers.

Did you expect a woman in her early 20's with almost no training to have the same powers level as a man who has been doing this for probably 10 years now?

Pretty much.

Did Barry ran so fast that he goes back in time in the very first episode?

She freakin' carried and saved an airplane full of people here!

Blader

I actually liked the pilot and thought it was much better done than Flash's (don't really remember Arrow's pilot that well). Yeah it was corny as hell and the show looks like it'll have the same issue of hiring d-grade actors for their villains of the week, but I'm just used to all that from Arrow and Flash by now. With those expectations, I actually enjoyed it. I like Melissa Benoist in the role and how quickly they jumped into the actual Supergirl part of the story.

Pretty much.

Did Barry ran so fast that he goes back in time in the very first episode?

She freakin' carried and saved an airplane full of people here!

Barry ran fast and the effect was convincing. Kara flew and uses super strength a little bit and the effects weren't very convincing to me. I don't think saying, "The action scenes don't look very good," about an action show is nitpicking.

I understand that her powers will probably develop as the series goes, but come on, it's not like super speed is some tertiary power that Superman hardly ever uses. It's not ice breath or something. It is literally the first thing mentioned in Superman's classic introduction. It's like the entire basis for Man of Steel's fight scenes. It's kind of a major Superman power. Pointing out that they left it out isn't nitpicking.

Wiktor

Barry ran fast and the effect was convincing. Kara flew and uses super strength a little bit and the effects weren't very convincing to me. I don't think saying, "The action scenes don't look very good," about an action show is nitpicking.

I understand that her powers will probably develop as the series goes, but come on, it's not like super speed is some tertiary power that Superman hardly ever uses. It's not ice breath or something. It is literally the first thing mentioned in Superman's classic introduction. It's like the entire basis for Man of Steel's fight scenes. It's kind of a major Superman power. Pointing out that they left it out isn't nitpicking.

The lack of superspeed is the best thing they did about her power-wise. Even on Flash it's getting overpowered and it bassicaly means you can do proper fight scenes and that's Flash's sole power.
When it comes to actual physical combat Supergirl pilot blows away anything that Flash has shown that didn't include Arrow.

I sitll disagree. They could've thought it was just a retcon in order to fit this for a television budget or something

I dunno. That suggests a level of superhero sophistication that would make it even more obvious to them that it's not the same fictional universe, not less obvious.

Anyone who's seen both Man of Steel and Supergirl isn't going to think they're the same universe. Anyone who hasn't seen Man Of Steel - wouldn't think they're linked anyway, or wouldn't care if that was the case, because they haven't even seen it. And then once they do see it - again, it's going to be super-obvious the one isn't linked to the other.

Yeah, if there's dialog I hope that gets cut it's some of that, it's just way to on the nose and bashing us over our heads. That semi-scene was straight out of Smallville, actually I think Smallville did it better... I guess it was a bus and Clark killed the bus driver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQUkPS9hPFo

Remember, nobody on GAF pirates. And piracy is not a problem for the games/music/movie industry (content producers simply need to create better material!).
The problem is, there is no legal way to actually see this at the moment. And that is assuming this isn't a marketing ploy. If it is, it is harder to call it hurting the show. I'd also call it different from the Game of Thrones leak for instance where half the show is leaked just before the premier. Here it was one episode, well in front of the actual release so most people will have to rewatch it anyway.

The difference between the HBO GoT leak and the Supergirl and Flash leaks are that one is on a premium network that you have to pay to watch where as Supergirl and The Flash are on broadcast networks that are free to watch at least that's my rational. Though one could probably argue that the GoT leaked happened so close to the premiere that it didn't cost HBO much of anything since people who signed up just for GoT probably already did by the time it was out. Besides that, someone who watches the leak Supergirl leak is no worse than someone who DVRs shows and then skips the commercials. Just watch the premiere when it airs, especially if you've got a Nielsen box.

The Flash's leak might not have been intentional but IMO it did more to actually help the show than hurt it and its premiere ratings are evidence of that, this Supergirl leak just feels intentional with how high quality it is with no watermark.

So I was going to reference about how much the effect has changed since Smallville until I remembered how hilarious and wrong the power was in Smallville.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj1-paS7vGE

Allison Mack back then... The only reason Clark should've been sweating is from getting hot but not from the actual heat. I remember thinking the scene would've played out better if he was fine in the heat until he starts getting the hots for Krista Allen.

EDIT: Oh and the Film stuff restricting the TV side is typical WB Films bullshit.

Future

The lack of superspeed is the best thing they did about her power-wise. Even on Flash it's getting overpowered and it bassicaly means you can do proper fight scenes and that's Flash's sole power.
When it comes to actual physical combat Supergirl pilot blows away anything that Flash has shown that didn't include Arrow.

Maybe. Flash fighting reverse was extremely well done, physical and convincing

Supergirl feels a little flimsy in comparison. The plane save scene was well done, but the fights and flying during the fight looked a little odd to me. Not cuz of her skill either, since clearly she's just getting started and is supposed to suck

Other than that.... Jimmy Olsen man haha. At first I thought it was simply cuz I'm a dude so am not affected by the hottest most charming jimmy Olsen ever put to media. But then I remembered laurel and iris..... The cw shows have never had a love interest that people liked. And this is just bad again

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
No, he's too busy playing Thomas Raith in my ideal Dresden Files adaptation, premiering this fall on HBO.

somebody better make a decent dresden files. god damnit. it's so ripe for making an awesome show from.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry, but The Flash was never as corny as Supergirl's pilot.

the flash and the arrow were pretty damn cheesy. the flash got less so as the season went on. The arrow... somehow more so.
edit: ugh double post. sorry.

jwk94

Man, idk if I like it so far. Her plane scene didn't feel earned and that really bothered me. I liked how she had to struggle to get herself up in the air, but from there it was kinda meh. The whole act was cool, but I think it would have had a greater impact if we had an episode or two where she was still trying to get a grip on her powers again since she hasn't used em in such a long time.

The feminism stuff was annoying. Yeah, she's a girl we get it.

The superhearing was done well. The heatvision was probably my favorite part because her eyes were still glowing when she finished. But god the struggle during that scene was awful. Neither of them looked like they were actually trying to push the axe. It's like they were just holding it there.

I think the worst part of the show for me is the actress and suit. She doesn't scream supergirl to me. For the longest time I was trying to figure out how The CW cast such a wimpy looking supergirl when they hit the nail on the head with every female from The 100. Then I remembered this isn't a CW show. I wish they had gotten someone different but we'll see how this goes. As for the suit, it just looks corny. Yeah, Barry's does too but his being leather kinda detracts from that.

Mariolee

I dunno. That suggests a level of superhero sophistication that would make it even more obvious to them that it's not the same fictional universe, not less obvious.

Anyone who's seen both Man of Steel and Supergirl isn't going to think they're the same universe. Anyone who hasn't seen Man Of Steel - wouldn't think they're linked anyway, or wouldn't care if that was the case, because they haven't even seen it. And then once they do see it - again, it's going to be super-obvious the one isn't linked to the other.

I suppose, but what about people who skip on the pilot and just tune in one day in the middle of the season where there's not really anything directly contradicting what happened in the films and so they just assume it's part of it. I whole-heartedly agree that something like this is inconsequential, but I'm still standing by my belief that the potential for confusion is still there. Apparently, WB agrees with me.

The only other reason I can think of for WB to not allow certain characters like the Suicide Squad on TV when they're about to be featured in the films is oversaturation of the characters at one time. People who invest their time and interest and emotions into one version of the character in a visual medium like television may be less inclined to invest that same amount of interest into a whole other version of a character in a movie. Though this wasn't a problem with Smallville and Superman Returns, and in the future The Flash and The Flash movies, so I dunno.

oneils

That seemed like a sex and the city episode with some superhero bits thrown in. Expectations adjusted.

Haha. That was my initial impression too.

One thing I like is that there are several people who seem to know her true identity, I'm not sure I can handle a new series where only one character knows the persons identity. That shit gets old fast.

ReiGun

Saw the Pilot, really liked it

I love how that waitress goes, "Golly gee a female hero! Nice that someone exists for my daughter to look up to" I laughed.

She should have continued with, "Too bad they are probably gonna cut her from the merchandise and refuse to make a movie bout her since female heroes don't work."

"Why is she called Supergirl? Shouldn't she be Superwoman? Isn't this Anti-Femenist?"

Holy shit! Why are they trying so goddamn hard?
This was never a concern in regular Superman

Generic Bad Guy: On my planet, you bow before males
Supergirl: This is not your planet!

Are you serious? What is this? Are the creators insecure or do they think the viewers are insecure?
Hey remember when the Justice League animated series had the Feminism episode? No? Because that didn't happen!
Why don't they call the show Super-Feminist: Battle Against Patriarchy! Build lore, create a universe, not this shit

Director Henshaw: She's not strong enough!
Agent Danvers: Why? Because she's just a girl? That's what we're counting on!

Um, they did. Like the episode had more world building and character set up than anything else.

You've really been making a mountain out of an anthill on this issue.

Pilgrimzero

Allison Mack back then... The only reason Clark should've been sweating is from getting hot but not from the actual heat. I remember thinking the scene would've played out better if he was fine in the heat until he starts getting the hots for Krista Allen.

EDIT: Oh and the Film stuff restricting the TV side is typical WB Films bullshit.

Good lord, Allison Mack. Mmmmmm How could I forget...

DaveH

The main advantage of Superman being in the series is similar to the advantage of Arrow preceding The Flash... it lets Supergirl handwave any logistics as already justified by Superman. I mean, we take it for granted, but being a superhero is insane... which is why shows like Heroes or No Ordinary Family took ages to warm up to anything that approximated traditional comic book heroism and something like The Cape had to pass it off as imitating his son's comic books and mystical circus culture.

Wearing a costume with a cape? Tackling bank robbers without knowing that you're bulletproof? Fighting aliens without training? All of this stuff is nuts... unless you can point to your predecessor as excusing it all. Supergirl leverages all the assumptions we make about Superman to accept that this is all completely normal. As fun as The Flash is, you don't quite get there if Arrow doesn't lay down the ground rules for the universe that make Flash seem somewhat sane... we just barely accept civil-rights violating indefinite incarceration because Ollie did it first. Arrow had to go through people using a descriptive term- the vigilante- to a moniker- the Arrow- so that Barry could become The Flash in record time.

There are issues with Superman, but I think the trade off is that Supergirl gets to be Supergirl full-steam ahead without having to be entrenched in explaining itself.

oneils

The main advantage of Superman being in the series is similar to the advantage of Arrow preceding The Flash... it lets Supergirl handwave any logistics as already justified by Superman. I mean, we take it for granted, but being a superhero is insane... which is why shows like Heroes or No Ordinary Family took ages to warm up to anything that approximated traditional comic book heroism and something like The Cape had to pass it off as imitating his son's comic books and mystical circus culture.

Wearing a costume with a cape? Tackling bank robbers without knowing that you're bulletproof? Fighting aliens without training? All of this stuff is nuts... unless you can point to your predecessor as excusing it all. Supergirl leverages all the assumptions we make about Superman to accept that this is all completely normal. As fun as The Flash is, you don't quite get there if Arrow doesn't lay down the ground rules for the universe that make Flash seem somewhat sane... we just barely accept civil-rights violating indefinite incarceration because Ollie did it first. Arrow had to go through people using a descriptive term- the vigilante- to a moniker- the Arrow- so that Barry could become The Flash in record time.

There are issues with Superman, but I think the trade off is that Supergirl gets to be Supergirl full-steam ahead without having to be entrenched in explaining itself.

What you are saying is interesting but I'm not sure it's that complicated. Pretty much everyone knows who the flash and super girl are. We don't need any warming up. Obviously, new shows like heroes are something different and maybe a lesser known heroe like arrow needs to ease into it. Just not sure most people need that for super girl or flash. I think they would have been fine without references to superman or arrow.

Volimar

Nice post. An interesting way to look at it.

Honestly my biggest problem with the pilot was
the humans know more too much about space stuff and some of it seems pretty unknowable. They know she was stuck in the phantom zone and they know that she somehow freed the prison ship. I hope it comes up how they know so much. I suppose they could have accessed the prison ship's sensors, but it'd be nice to know for sure.

Sorry, but The Flash was never as corny as Supergirl's pilot.

It really was.

dying at "the flash pilot wasn't nearly as corny"

"run Barry RUN"

everything about weather wizard character and actor

The rest of the season made people forget about the pilot.

One simple question, why is Kara being a girl such a big issue in the show?

I assume they wanted to get it out of the way. I assume that's also why they went with Vartox, who is sexish in the comics as well.

pg07_05.jpg

12-17-2009-110213AM-620x476.jpg

peej4_11f_pg706.jpeg

Tizoc

It really was.

The rest of the season made people forget about the pilot.

I assume they wanted to get it out of the way. I assume that's also why they went with Vartox, who is sexish in the comics as well.

pg07_05.jpg

12-17-2009-110213AM-620x476.jpg

peej4_11f_pg706.jpeg

Hey at least he's comic relief :p What series is this btw? Was it the 2000s Power Girl comic or was this from JL Classified?

If only we could get a young Sean Connery for Vartox.

zardoz.gif

I do think that Paul Blackthorne, aka Captain Lance, aka Chesthair on Arrow looks a lot like Connery. Maybe they can get him to play the role.

Shadownet

Banned
Saw it again, this time with the kids. Loved it again. That first run through the alley for take-off. Dem throwback feels.
I agree, one of the best parts of the pilot.

Yeah, if there's dialog I hope that gets cut it's some of that, it's just way to on the nose and bashing us over our heads. That semi-scene was straight out of Smallville, actually I think Smallville did it better... I guess it was a bus and Clark killed the bus driver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQUkPS9hPFo

Man I really should rewatch Smallville. my childhood growing up right there. and Yeah, now it's happening once again with Arrow. I swear, Warner Bros really like to shoot themselves in the foot. Marvel doesn't have to do jackshit to mess with the competition. I really don't understand the "oh we don't want to have two versions of something because that might confused the audience." Yeah, if your audience doesn't have two braincells to rub together. Also, making the tv universe different from the movie universe might already the biggest "uh-oh" they ever did. Meanwhile Marvel, got their shit together. Everything is connected in the Marvel Universe.
Other than that.... Jimmy Olsen man haha. At first I thought it was simply cuz I'm a dude so am not affected by the hottest most charming Jimmy Olsen ever put to media. But then I remembered laurel and iris..... The cw shows have never had a love interest that people liked. And this is just bad again
He's not suppose to be her love interest. More like Superman replacement, a mentor.

Patryn

If they wanted to get that, they could have still not used Superman and just substituted the Flash instead. Remember that the Flash is fully public, has powers, and the news covers him.

They could even do the thing where they keep referring to him but not by name. Just say "the fast guy in Central City" or something.

Magwik

Banned
If they wanted to get that, they could have still not used Superman and just substituted the Flash instead. Remember that the Flash is fully public, has powers, and the news covers him.

They could even do the thing where they keep referring to him but not by name. Just say "the fast guy in Central City" or something.
I'd prefer them if anything to vaguely say "the vigilante" if they are going to make any references so that was the open ended enough to be interpreted as any viglilante
Or Thawnes shenanigans with time created the alternate universe that we know as Arrowverse and in its creation superman and batman never existed
They have so many outs when it comes to crossovers and parallel universes
Or just could not give a fuck like Toei did with the DBZ x Toriko x One Piece crossover

DaveH

Not really, since many of the handwaves are Kryptonian and extraterrestrial-specific. The reason humanity isn't freaking out about Supergirl is because they had over a decade to get used to Superman. Why don't they have to explain heat vision, flight, x-ray vision, bullet-proof skin, etc.? Answer: Superman. Flash doesn't get you that.

Further, Supergirl shoots in L.A. while the CW shows shoot in Vancouver. Crossover was always going to be unlikely rather than a lynchpin of the series, so it makes no sense for Kara to look up to or for the show to rely upon a property with minimal likelihood of crossover. Just the number of audience members who tune in by accident to a CBS show vastly outweigh those who tune in intentionally to The Flash on CW. It makes way more sense to hitch your wagon to a pop-culture icon that everyone knows.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Not really, since many of the handwaves are Kryptonian and extraterrestrial-specific. The reason humanity isn't freaking out about Supergirl is because they had over a decade to get used to Superman. Why don't they have to explain heat vision, flight, x-ray vision, bullet-proof skin, etc.? Answer: Superman. Flash doesn't get you that.

Further, Supergirl shoots in L.A. while the CW shows shoot in Vancouver. Crossover was always going to be unlikely rather than a lynchpin of the series, so it makes no sense for Kara to look up to or for the show to rely upon a property with minimal likelihood of crossover. Just the number of audience members who tune in by accident to a CBS show vastly outweigh those who tune in intentionally to The Flash on CW. It makes way more sense to hitch your wagon to a pop-culture icon that everyone knows.

Except the shows share executive producers.

Will it cross over? No idea. But there's nothing stopping it logistically, it's just up to the people in charge as to whether they feel like doing it. And they'd absolutely do it if Supergirl would get even 500,000 extra viewers from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom