• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*EID MUBARAK!* RAMADAN 2015 |OT| Come with me if you want to fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shahadan

I always wanted to try but couldn't shake off the feeling that, not being muslim, it was somewhat disrespectful.

I'd like to try someday anyway. Maybe at another time than actual ramadan but I guess it would be easier knowing other peeps are doing it. And more "fun", which is another way to be disrespectful I guess. "Hey guys your religious beliefs and practices are fun! "
Heh.

I probably think too much though.

I always wanted to try but couldn't shake off the feeling that, not being muslim, it was somewhat disrespectful.

I'd like to try someday anyway. Maybe at another time than actual ramadan but I guess it would be easier knowing other peeps are doing it. And more "fun", which is another way to be disrespectful I guess. "Hey guys your religious beliefs and practices are fun! "
Heh.

yes. many muslims welcome nonmuslims to come and fast with them. Obviously you dont have to go as hardcore as we do as well when you try. Stuff like fastathon exist to help nonmuslims get involved and see what fasting is about. Nothing wrong about having fun during fasting as well.

Heh.

Dont worry about it! Fasting is a tradition in other cultures outside of Islam and if you think its fun, well, thats kind of awesome hah. Fasting with other Muslims during Ramadan whether you're religious or not is a great experience because it's a great way to bond with other people. You'll have lots of support from us here as well should you choose to give it a shot!

Not to mention the great feeling of accomplishment you get every day you complete. Its such a natural high.

Numb

4:15 to 8:30 here. It's 12:30 and someone in my office nearby just started eating. Can smell the food, going to go for a walk I think :)

1AM to 10 PM here. I can almost taste the Sambusa and Vimto from here. Got 30 min till i eat the crap out of them.

Shahadan

yes. many muslims welcome nonmuslims to come and fast with them. Obviously you dont have to go as hardcore as we do as well when you try. Stuff like fastathon exist to help nonmuslims get involved and see what fasting is about. Nothing wrong about having fun during fasting as well.

Dont worry about it! Fasting is a tradition in other cultures outside of Islam and if you think its fun, well, thats kind of awesome hah. Fasting with other Muslims during Ramadan whether you're religious or not is a great experience because it's a great way to bond with other people. You'll have lots of support from us here as well should you choose to give it a shot!

Not to mention the great feeling of accomplishment you get every day you complete. Its such a natural high.

Ha, thanks guys :D
The last time I've tried fasting for a bit I had so much energy and felt so good that it convinced me to do it once or twice a week, but I gave up after a while. :(

Well the lack of water is what's worrying me the most. I've never tried that to be honest (which will be interesting!)

My birthday is sadly on the 22nd, I'm sure I won't be able/want to resist that day, but until then at least I'm giving it a try. Let's go! I'm actually excited :lol:

Ha, thanks guys :D
The last time I've tried fasting for a bit I had so much energy and felt so good that it convinced me to do it once or twice a week, but I gave up after a while. :(

Well the lack of water is what's worrying me the most. I've never tried that to be honest (which will be interesting!)

My birthday is sadly on the 22nd, I'm sure I won't be able/want to resist that day, but until then at least I'm giving it a try. Let's go! I'm actually excited :lol:

if you're not muslim you dont have to go without water if you dont want to. It's definitely an experience though

Shahadan

if you're not muslim you dont have to go without water if you dont want to. It's definitely an experience though

Yeah but I want to try. If I'm doing it I kinda want to do it as much as I can and I'm really curious about how I'll do without water.
I'll probably fail that part though ;(

Is it usually the hardest part for you guys? Or is it food?
(Yeah I know dumb question but the only muslim I know can only communicate through sign language and I can't, so...)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
aww yeah! first couple of days are tough then after that it gets pretty simple. Hoping to lose some weight too!

Most people end up gaining weight during ramazan funnily enough because they just gorge themselves on pokoras, somosas, and other super unhealthy foods when fast breaks. I don't blame them since I've done it myself after a rough fast.

Yeah but I want to try. If I'm doing it I kinda want to do it as much as I can and I'm really curious about how I'll do without water.
I'll probably fail that part though ;(

Is it usually the hardest part for you guys? Or is it food?
(Yeah I know dumb question but the only muslim I know can only communicate through sign language and I can't, so...)

For me, it's absolutely water. And the lack of coffee/caffeine. Hunger goes away eventually but the thirst is real. So during the pre-dawn meal I would drink a lot more water than food. Hydration is important, especially during the brutal summer months.

Man, another missed opportunity for thread title. Next year tho..

RAMADAN 2016 |OT| The Thirst Is Real

Most people end up gaining weight during ramazan funnily enough because they just gorge themselves on pokoras, somosas, and other super unhealthy foods when fast breaks. I don't blame them since I've done it myself after a rough fast.
You can cheat the iftar binge by drinking a glassful of rooh afza+curd milk (forgot what its called in English but in Saudi it goes by Laban). After that you will feel full and wont kill yourself with the fried items.

For me, it's water. And the lack of coffee/caffeine. Hunger goes away eventually but the thirst is real. So during the pre-dawn meal I would drink a lot more water than food. Hydration is important, especially during the brutal summer months.

Man, another missed opportunity for thread title. Next year tho..

RAMADAN 2016 |OT| The Thirst Is Real
Lol next year is either that or Gotta Go Fast

Numb

One of my fav things about ramadan every year is the kids attempting to fast because they see the adults doing it. Usually lasts a day or 2 max but things get funny quick. One of the kids took my Vita and played way too much Ristar today for some reason. I tried to take it back but i shouldn't have tried. And the counting down the seconds to breaking the fast that they do never gets old.

You can cheat the iftar binge by drinking a glassful of rooh afza+curd milk (forgot what its called in English but in Saudi it goes by Laban). After that you will feel full and wont kill yourself with the fried items.

when I think of laban, I just think of lassi

when I think of laban, I just think of lassi
Yeah I think we're talking about lassi here. Laban in my experience is thicker and hence more fulling. Its calorie heavy too so a glassful might run up to 100 cals but hey better than the yummy fried stuff. I'm still figuring out the best iftar portions though so take my advice with grain of salt (pun intended).

Yeah I think we're talking about lassi here. Laban in my experience is thicker and hence more fulling. Its calorie heavy too so a glassful might run up to 100 cals but hey better than the yummy fried stuff. I'm still figuring out the best iftar portions though so take my advice with grain of salt (pun intended).

lol yea

Found this lovely article on Quartz.

Ramadan in America is the hardest and that’s what makes it the best
ramadan-moons.jpg

Two years ago, I was in Dubai when Ramadan struck. I’d never observed Islam’s holiest, hungriest month in a Muslim-majority country, and had no idea what to expect. Many things may be said about Dubai, but this we can all agree on: bling. Even their Islam was bling. Every mosque was resplendent. Every imam had epic, iTunes worthy recitation. One mosque-hopped as others might bar-hop.

Ramadan was everywhere. My friends and I roamed religiously. We’d pray the sundown maghrib at a mosque, break the fast (iftar) with whatever kind of cuisine struck our fancy—every restaurant had a Ramadan special—and then we’d go to a mosque for taraweeh, the special Ramadan prayers, a recitation of one-thirtieth of the Qur’an every night, for 30 nights. Crowds would come out in fine Emirati kandouras, Punjabi kurtas, Indonesian sarongs, Zara skinny jeans.

When I was growing up, most university Muslim student groups had a dozen members at most. They rarely had full-time staff. They were lucky to have a prayer space, and if they did, it was usually rundown, inferior, moldy, overheated and undercooled, pathetic and charming, degrading and empowering. If you wanted Islam, you had to work for it. You had to want it.

Otherwise, you’d just vanish into the melting pot that is America, that sated, hydrated, wonderful world where Ramadan is of no concern and no significance. The United States is the Muslim Wild West.

http://qz.com/431060/celebrating-ramadan-in-america-is-the-hardest-and-the-best/

RiZ III

My head is pounding. Its gonna explode any second.

Do you intake caffeine on a regular basis? Or perhaps you didn't drink enough water during suhoor? I cut off caffeine at least 2 weeks before Ramadan begins if not more, or else I'll get bad headaches.

Red Hood

Banned
Today was surprisingly easy al7amdollilah. I thought I'd need some time getting used to it again. Though it helped today wasn't warm, 19 degrees Celsius at most.

Numb

Today was surprisingly easy al7amdollilah. I thought I'd need some time getting used to it again. Though it helped today wasn't warm, 19 degrees Celsius at most.

The first week can be the easiest or the hardest depending on the person.
Found it easy at first but gets harder for me as it goes.

Do you intake caffeine on a regular basis? Or perhaps you didn't drink enough water during suhoor? I cut off caffeine at least 2 weeks before Ramadan begins if not more, or else I'll get bad headaches.
Caffeine. Coffee in morning and noon. I should have done the same. While praying zuhr, blood started rushing to the head making the headache worse lol.

Linkhero1

6 hours later and I'm no longer hungry or thirsty. I'm finding myself more sleepy but that's fine.

The cool thing is my job let me work from home every Friday for Ramadan. :)

I didn't do that. I'm having those headaches right now.

Red Hood

Banned
The first week can be the easiest or the hardest depending on the person.
Found it easy at first but gets harder for me as it goes.

The start is always hardest for me and the last parts easiest. It's all about adjustment to me. But I think it was easy for me today because it was pretty chilly weather, which I love, didn't feel a lot of thirst.

Though in a country like the Netherlands, tomorrow's weather can change as fast as you can blink your eyes and it could be 30 Celsius, and then I'll feel it.

Can't imagine what its's like to fast in those Northern European countries. Those of us in Aust. have it easy.

Non-Muslim here, I'm curious, do any practicing Muslims not observe the fast, or is that heavily frowned upon?

Generally, the fasting is compulsory for everyone. However, there are instances where it isn't compulsory for example; Those travelling, those with medical issues, the elderly, and the pregnant/ breast-feeding women. In those instances they can make it up by other means. For example the elderly can feed a poor person for every day they've missed.

Sch1sm

Non-Muslim here, I'm curious, do any practicing Muslims not observe the fast, or is that heavily frowned upon?

It's mandatory for us except for the reasons outlined above by some others. One of the 5 pillars of Islam. It's one of the core things to being a Muslim.

Numb

Can't imagine what its's like to fast in those Northern European countries. Those of us in Aust. have it easy.

I try to eat enough during iftar but not too much that i feel full and can't eat suhoor which quickly follows in about 3 or so hrs. I like having space to eat enough suhoor so i can last the fasting day.

Starting to get jealous of Australians.

Either is fine, but if you do it in your head, be sure to focus on the words and making them whole. And yes, you need wudhu.
OK so I did this today. i'm a bank teller so I had to like multitask. I would speak the words to myself but I would still be looking and watching if anyone was online. Do you think that's okay?

I also haven't told any of my coworkers about the fasting. I wonder how long till they figure out. The girl next to me kept saying how she was hungry for not eating since noonish (and it was like 7ish) but I didn't wanna bring up the fact that I hadn't eaten in over 12 hours, lol. It'll come with time.
probably wont do taraweeh on the weekdays just due to time constraint. Even when I go with my parents we'd do isha and 8 at the masjid since it would be around 1am when they'd finish 20 and my parents cant handle that many anymore lol.
On the weekdays I probably won't do more than 4 tarabi myself during isha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom