• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*EID MUBARAK!* RAMADAN 2015 |OT| Come with me if you want to fast

Status
Not open for further replies.
the worst is preparing dinner right before iftar and mistime how long it takes to make the food :(. was still making food right when iftar hit

Numb

the worst is preparing dinner right before iftar and mistime how long it takes to make the food :(. was still making food right when iftar hit

You'll get the timing right as time passes. Also depends on what you are making.
I prepare everything an hour before and also put the drinks in the freezer around that time. Comes out chilly and nice when the time arrives.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Hunger is not the issue since i usually eat little but the problem can be the thirst.

You know the biggest problem in Ramadan is? The sleepyness -__________-

That's why you prepare everything after Taraweeh and during Sahoor you just heat them all up!

8eaab462-b631-4903-804d-aca147fdd715.jpg

Glad to see people in the US don't have a crazy time.
Iceland is not messing around tho.
I think a few countries are inaccurate :p India Fajr is at 4:20 AM and Maghrib at 6:52 PM, leading to 14.5 hours of fasting and not 17. Looked at Jordan too and it seemed inaccurate as well.

I think what's more important to note than the fasting hours are the Maghrib timings. These are the real indicators of how harsh your fasting is. Denmark has Maghrib at 8:23 PM (correct me if I'm wrong) and most of the US Maghrib is around the same mark (in Chicago it's 8:31 PM). The longer the day goes on, the more harsher the fasting becomes. In any case, hope all you folks with long fasts are doing ok inshallah and may Allah reward your sawab with double xp.

Numb

I think a few countries are inaccurate :p India Fajr is at 4:20 AM and Maghrib at 6:52 PM, leading to 14.5 hours of fasting and not 17. Looked at Jordan too and it seemed inaccurate as well.

I think what's more important to note than the fasting hours are the Maghrib timings. These are the real indicators of how harsh your fasting is. Denmark has Maghrib at 8:23 PM (correct me if I'm wrong) and most of the US Maghrib is around the same mark (in Chicago it's 8:31 PM). The longer the day goes on, the more harsher the fasting becomes. In any case, hope all you folks with long fasts are doing ok inshallah and may Allah reward your sawab with double xp.

Thanks. Mine was close to accurate so i didn't check through with the rest and didn't have the time. You are right about the maghrib time being further making things hard. It was 22:37 for the first day here. Combine that with the closeness of suhoor and i am too full half the full day and can't stand and too hungry the other half and can't stand :).

Chris R

Could I ask what times the fasts would start and end in Anchorage Alaska? I don't have any Muslim friends but have heard of Muslims here either using Mecca times or the times of other family members to fast since the sun is up basically all day now.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
man I'd be dead tired at that point lol. thankfully only gotta cook once a week. make enough for the rest

How many rakaats are you folks using for you to be "dead tired"? 23? Most of us here in Indonesia use 11, so it's not that bad.

Could I ask what times the fasts would start and end in Anchorage Alaska? I don't have any Muslim friends but have heard of Muslims here either using Mecca times or the times of other family members to fast since the sun is up basically all day now.

Yes, basically they can just use that or use the nearest country available where the sun cycle can be discerned.

Ramadan Kareem GAF. 17 hours fasting here, but first day passed well enough. Some good advice, drink lots of milk for Sahoor. Will hold you over from getting thirsty.

How many rakaats are you folks using for you to be "dead tired"? 23? Most of us here in Indonesia use 11, so it's not that bad.

Yes, basically they can just use that or use the nearest country available where the sun cycle can be discerned.

ive done both, but even 11 would make me sleepy when I would get home. We'd use to get home at around 12:30-1am

I try to eat enough during iftar but not too much that i feel full and can't eat suhoor which quickly follows in about 3 or so hrs. I like having space to eat enough suhoor so i can last the fasting day.

Starting to get jealous of Australians.

Thats crazy, so you guys would pray Maghrib, Isha, and Fajr within several hours?

Red Hood

Banned
Woke up 6AM today, have to go to school, which means I'll endure Ramadan pretty much hardcore for 16 hours, Maghreb is 10PM here. I'm 1 hour in and I already feel double the thirst than yesterday in its entirety.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
so im sitting in class right now browsing neogaf, probably not a smart move since first thing that caught my eye is the topic 50 nuggets gonna eat them in an hour

:(

adamsapple

so how are you guys gonna open iftaar ?

i'm guessing drinking a soft drink like Coke or Pepsi on an empty stomach is probably not a good idea, lemon or orange juice would be better, no ?

Realize i notice food related headlines faster during ramadan.
The trick is to not click.

ya dont need to click them mang .. just the headline is enough :(

Ashes

Banned
Woke up 6AM today, have to go to school, which means I'll endure Ramadan pretty much hardcore for 16 hours, Maghreb is 10PM here. I'm 1 hour in and I already feel double the thirst than yesterday in its entirety.

Get an afternoon or mid-evening nap in. Sleep deprivation will hit hard when you adjust to the thirst and hunger.

Sch1sm

so how are you guys gonna open iftaar ?

Already did, but. Dates. Bajia, which is some Kenyan-adopted, Indian dish - something like fried lentil/pea patties. Mandazi, which is sort of like... a donut. Except less sugar, smaller, and no holes. >>

*** They link to images. Open at your own risk/after iftaar, if you bother. :p

Numb

Already did, but. Dates. Bajia, which is some Kenyan-adopted, Indian dish - something like fried lentil/pea patties. Mandazi, which is sort of like... a donut. Except less sugar, smaller, and no holes. >>

*** They link to images. Open at your own risk/after iftaar, if you bother. :p

I remember eating some bajia with some hand made hot sauces and mandazi in the mornings on my way to school when i lived in Kenya.
Too bad you can't get bajia in stores or street vendors here unless you make it yourself otherwise i would be all over it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You know, Ramadan is supposed to be a time of celebration and happiness but reading the posts here one might think that is actually a month of suffering and torture, lol.

adamsapple

You know, Ramadan is supposed to be a time of celebration and happiness but reading the posts here one might think that is actually a month of suffering and torture, lol.

Well ... its celebration but GAF is important too :p

we're basically torturing ourselves at this point.

Red Hood

Banned
Get an afternoon or mid-evening nap in. Sleep deprivation will hit hard when you adjust to the thirst and hunger.
I'm not too sleepy though, so I don't think I can fall asleep middle in the day. And if I would, I think it would ruin my sleep rhythm for the next days.

I don't think it's a time of celebration and happiness as much as it's a remembrance for those who have little, though. No fun in that. :p Sure after Iftaar it turns in a celebration of some kind, but during the day?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I don't think it's a time of celebration and happiness as much as it's a remembrance for those who have little, though. No fun in that. :p Sure after Iftaar it turns in a celebration of some kind, but during the day?

Nah man, we even got a Hadits that basically stated those who are merry in welcoming Ramadan will be forbidden from the flames of Hell.

Also, Allah basically activated all the EXP cheat code for us in this month, where even doing simple act of goodness will give us so many loot and EXP it's unbelievable, hahaha.

AAK

Celebration? That's just eid. Ramadan is actually supposed to be a month of self-improvement, moderation, and patience. It's not meant to be easy. Although the spiritual atmosphere makes it easier than carrying it out in other months.

Not really. In fact, the reason we celebrate Eid al-Fitr is BECAUSE we don't have to fast anymore.

The month is the most blessed month. That does not mean it's the most festive.

Pretty good day today. Just felt tired and that's mostly because of the lack of water. Food-wise, I already had a pretty weird schedule (eat at 7AM, then eat at 9PM...yeah) so that's been fine.

As a Jewish person who can't even handle one day of fasting, I give you all the best of luck making it through a month.
I barely feel it. I suppose my caveman metabolism and my thick layer of fat help a lot. I live in a temperate country though.
Still, it's the first time I walk through my first day Ramadan as if it was nothing.

That makes me Wonder how Jesus (and other dudes of his time) did spend 30 days in a fucking desert and came back alive :eek:

I'm serious man. Islam isn't as rigid as many think it is lol. Obviously it is best to do the whole motions and standing etc, but if you can't find a place to stand and pray or anywhere clean, sitting should be just fine. What matters most is that you keep your prayers. God is merciful :p

Well, Islam is a religion of mercy, but it is still technical.

If someone is able to stand, then they are not permitted to sit because standing is from the obligatory actions of salah. Otherwise, most people would just be found sitting during taraweeh every night, lol.

so i should like whisper the words to myself or say them in my head or something? and should I need wudhu?

Since it's dhuhr salah, you already should be whispering to yourself. You should not say them in your head because the minimum obligation is for mouthing the words.

And yes, you need wudhu. I'd just maintain wudhu from before work to Dhuhr time. If that's not possible, just try to do the four obligatory actions of wudhu: wash the arms up to the elbow once, wash the face once, wipe over your head once, wash the feet once.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Celebration? That's just eid. Ramadan is actually supposed to be a month of self-improvement, moderation, and patience. It's not meant to be easy. Although the spiritual atmosphere makes it easier than carrying it out in other months.

Not really. In fact, the reason we celebrate Eid al-Fitr is BECAUSE we don't have to fast anymore.

The month is the most blessed month. That does not mean it's the most festive.

Pretty good day today. Just felt tired and that's mostly because of the lack of water. Food-wise, I already had a pretty weird schedule (eat at 7AM, then eat at 9PM...yeah) so that's been fine.

You're taking the 'celebration' word too literally, as if what I mean is Ramadan is the RIGHT TIME TO PARTYYY YEAHHHHHHHH, hahaha.

All I am saying that we all should be happy and glad that we are allowed to experience another Ramadan, to celebrate the fact that Allah unlocks various EXP cheat for us to use, etc etc.

This is quite an interesting way to describe it. I like it!

Ramadan Final Fantasy style, hahaha.

Roronoa95

Did the same mistake yesterday... My timing was so wrong as I had starter and plate ready at the same time. As a consequence I ate too much in a short period of time which isn't good at all !

Gotta correct that tonight :)

Let the real hunger games begin!

No, seriously though, wishing a blessed month to all and to have a better understanding as to how the hungry and the needy feel.

~14hrs fasting here in Saudi Arabia.

Ashes

Banned
You're taking the 'celebration' word too literally, as if what I mean is Ramadan is the RIGHT TIME TO PARTYYY YEAHHHHHHHH, hahaha.

I don't know about you, but our house is practically a feast every night the first week. I'd say it was routine to dine out too at family, friends and neighbours houses. Quite a festive atmosphere out an about too. Especially if you have a huge central mosque nearby. Which people come from all over the country to visit and pray under the imam's direction. Sometimes even internationally touring imams. And people put up stalls selling all kinds of Ramadan special treats, and are lit up in the dark with lights bulbs in the corners - stuff that is more common in other parts of the world than in London.

I'd call that a festive atmosphere.

Red Hood

Banned
Nah man, we even got a Hadits that basically stated those who are merry in welcoming Ramadan will be forbidden from the flames of Hell.

Also, Allah basically activated all the EXP cheat code for us in this month, where even doing simple act of goodness will give us so many loot and EXP it's unbelievable, hahaha.

Ah okay, now I understand you. I thought you meant like actual celebrations, haha, because that's not what Ramadan is about. But I've read your later post and you meant to say that it should be a time to be happy with what we got after experiencing hunger and other issues that affects millions of people. I definitely agree then, we're on the same page! :)

I have the ME uncharted worlds tone as my ceri alarm =]

worked out for the first day in ramadan yesterday, man it was tiresome. I probably needed to take a bigger break between eating iftar and going.

also, can someone tell me if there is indeed a required minimum for praying tarabi? I know you have to do 4 at a time and can't just do 2 and split, but my friend last night was being annoying about telling me that 8 is the required minimum. I know most people and masjids do that as a minimum but is that an actual required minimum?

(it's not a particularly long conversation, I'm posting it to see if anyone here thinks I was out of line in it)

convo1.png

convo2.png

convo3.png

convo4.png

convo5.png

Since it's dhuhr salah, you already should be whispering to yourself. You should not say them in your head because the minimum obligation is for mouthing the words.

And yes, you need wudhu. I'd just maintain wudhu from before work to Dhuhr time. If that's not possible, just try to do the four obligatory actions of wudhu: wash the arms up to the elbow once, wash the face once, wipe over your head once, wash the feet once.
How do you know? I've seen plenty not move their lips while doing solo prayers. It'll be for both zuhr and asr, btw.

And yeah, I just go into work having wudhu prior. Also, isn't there a dry substitute for wudhu? Would that be a suitable?

I have the ME uncharted worlds tone as my ceri alarm =]

worked out for the first day in ramadan yesterday, man it was tiresome. I probably needed to take a bigger break between eating iftar and going.

also, can someone tell me if there is indeed a required minimum for praying tarabi? I know you have to do 4 at a time and can't just do 2 and split, but my friend last night was being annoying about telling me that 8 is the required minimum. I know most people and masjids do that as a minimum but is that an actual required minimum?

(it's not a particularly long conversation, I'm posting it to see if anyone here thinks I was out of line in it)

How do you know? I've seen plenty not move their lips while doing solo prayers. It'll be for both zuhr and asr, btw.

And yeah, I just go into work having wudhu prior. Also, isn't there a dry substitute for wudhu? Would that be a suitable?
Taraweeh are not fard or mandatory so there is no required minimum. Umar (RA) made it a tradition of praying Taraweeh at mosques as Muhammad (saw) used to pray sometimes at home and sometimes at masjid. But it is part of Sunnah even though its not fard

Taraweeh are not fard or mandatory so there is no required minimum. Umar (RA) made it a tradition of praying Taraweeh at mosques as Muhammad (saw) used to pray sometimes at home and sometimes at masjid. But it is part of Sunnah even though its not fard
Okay, thanks man. I had a feeling it wasn't fard (btw I thought the meaning of fard is mandatory?). So that means if I chose to pray them then 4 would be okay? I do know that if you choose to do so you have to do them in 4's.

I'm guessing that means my friend was just talking to me in a condescending tone, but I don't want to be arrogant about it. What do you think?

Okay, thanks man. I had a feeling it wasn't fard (btw I thought the meaning of fard is mandatory?). So that means if I chose to pray them then 4 would be okay? I do know that if you choose to do so you have to do them in 4's.

I'm guessing that means my friend was just talking to me in a condescending tone, but I don't want to be arrogant about it. What do you think?
Of course it's ok. Think of it as free xp weekend. Its up to you how much you want: 2, 4, 6, 8 etc.

When people say "its required because everyone does it", they are on very dangerous ground in Islam.

These questions are better put to Sheikhs or at least students of knowledge who can give you a comprehensive and correct understandings of the matters. I mean come on, we're posters on a video game forum ;)

I dont know if there is a minimum number of Tarweeh prayers but your friends argument of 'Masjids around the world either only pray in 8 or 20 rakaats' is pretty weak lol

Also the substitute for Wudu is called Tayammum, once again I doubt any of us here will know anything extensively about it.

Allahu Alim

Ashes

Banned
Did you have to quote all of that rusty? :p

Taraweeh isn't compulsory.
Your friend may be confusing the prophet sunnah with the minimum suggested. In that the prophet prayed 11 rakat (8 taraweeh + 3 witr) as part of the nightly prayers in Ramadan.

By that reckoning, there would be no minimum, as it is not compulsory. As to whether you should pray 8 rakat as some mosques do or 20 as a lot of others do, I really do not want to get into.* It's a tiresome debate. I don't know where people find the energy for it.

As to maximums, I'm pretty sure you can pray pretty much all night if you want to.

* I have followed it in the past, but it really.. well put it this way, people are too passionate over less important stuff. Ramadan is more than just taraweeh.

Edit: my nephew was asking me why sunrises and fasting start times are different. Way more interesting question to me than his dad and his other uncle arguing over 8 or 20 rakat taraweeh.

IdrisOllie

Neo Member
Ramadan Kareem to All. Working out while fasting, here in Toronto its about a 16 hours fast but I gained some serious weight this year, trying to get back into shape! Reps, Reps, and more Reps!!

Sajjaja

Well, Islam is a religion of mercy, but it is still technical.

If someone is able to stand, then they are not permitted to sit because standing is from the obligatory actions of salah. Otherwise, most people would just be found sitting during taraweeh every night, lol.

Well the alternative is him not praying at all iirc, it would be better for him to sit and do it than not at all.

Of course it's ok. Think of it as free xp weekend. Its up to you how much you want: 2, 4, 6, 8 etc.

When people say "its required because everyone does it", they are on very dangerous ground in Islam.
It is of my understanding that you can only pray tarabis in pairs of 4 though. Like, if you are gonna do it, you can't just do 2 or 6 or 10. And I dunno if that's true, but it makes sense to me.

&& yeah, I agree, conformity can be dangerous. & I don't want to be talking smack on others but that friend of mine has been condescending to me before.

These questions are better put to Sheikhs or at least students of knowledge who can give you a comprehensive and correct understandings of the matters. I mean come on, we're posters on a video game forum ;)

I dont know if there is a minimum number of Tarweeh prayers but your friends argument of 'Masjids around the world either only pray in 8 or 20 rakaats' is pretty weak lol

Also the substitute for Wudu is called Tayammum, once again I doubt any of us here will know anything extensively about it.

Allahu Alim
Your posters on neogaf but it's not like you're intending to feed misinformation =]

as for sheikhs, as knowledgable as they may be, I think sometimes they say things can come off as questionable. And I don't say that to make it sound like I know any better, but that the answers they give could be close or narrow minded.

Did you have to quote all of that rusty? :p

Taraweeh isn't compulsory.
Your friend may be confusing the prophet sunnah with the minimum suggested. In that the prophet prayed 11 rakat (8 taraweeh + 3 witr) as part of the nightly prayers in Ramadan.

By that reckoning, there would be no minimum, as it is not compulsory. As to whether you should pray 8 rakat as some mosques do or 20 as a lot of others do, I really do not want to get into.* It's a tiresome debate. I don't know where people find the energy for it.

As to maximums, I'm pretty sure you can pray pretty much all night if you want to.

* I have followed it in the past, but it really.. well put it this way, people are too passionate over less important stuff. Ramadan is more than just taraweeh.

Edit: my nephew was asking me why sunrises and fasting start times are different. Way more interesting question to me than his dad and his other uncle arguing over 8 or 20 rakat taraweeh.
Read the quotes, man. My friend was not saying those things because of the prophet's doing but because of how he has grown accustomed to it as well as what's usually practiced.

I was told this by a Mufti. The minimum requirement for all the obligatory recitations in salah (e.g. the starting takbeer, the fatiha, the additional surah, the tashahhud, etc.) is to actually verbalize it, not just think about it.

As for the wudhu issue, the alternative is only applicable if you cannot find water within your vicinity, like if you're lost in the desert (to be technical, this excludes the small amount of drinking water a person may have because not dying of thirst is more important than performing wudhu). In an office environment, where you still have access to water, making a mess isn't really a valid excuse especially for something obligatory. Just do the minimum 4 requirements and clean up with paper towels. You won't be making much of a mess anyway if you only do the 4 required actions.

Well the alternative is him not praying at all iirc, it would be better for him to sit and do it than not at all.

I don't get how he won't be able to stand. Now, if you're on a bus and you're physically unable to stand (moving bus, overhead compartments prevent standing where you're seated), sure, it's understandable. But, if you're at work, standing won't be an issue...unless you're a bus driver.

I was told this by a Mufti. The minimum requirement for all the obligatory recitations in salah (e.g. the starting takbeer, the fatiha, the additional surah, the tashahhud, etc.) is to actually verbalize it, not just think about it.

As for the wudhu issue, the alternative is only applicable if you cannot find water within your vicinity, like if you're lost in the desert (to be technical, this excludes the small amount of drinking water a person may have because not dying of thirst is more important than performing wudhu). In an office environment, where you still have access to water, making a mess isn't really a valid excuse especially for something obligatory. Just do the minimum 4 requirements and clean up with paper towels. You won't be making much of a mess anyway if you only do the 4 required actions.
But office environment can arouse suspicion especially if you're washing your feet in the sinks...Others may take objection to that at worst. At best, they will look at you funny. Last week I was trying to perform wudhu and some dude walked in. Happened 3 times and each time I tried to start the abulution some guy kept walking in. I was so frustrated. And finally when I thought I had the restroom to myself, another guy walked in. I said screw it. I reserved a conference room to myself beforehand, so I went in it and did taymum and prayed. As I was praying, I was jolted out of prayer because some guy tried to come in (it was locked). I had to re-pray. Finally, my prayer was done.
#MuslimInAmerica

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom