• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony expects to Sell 20 million PS4 in current Fiscal Year (Apr 2016 - Mar 2017)

Brinbe

At this point, it'd be foolish to bet against them. The thing continually beats expectation and there's still a lot of people out there yet to buy in.

noobie

Banned
No, I think it will be only a drop to $299, but also a valid expectation that XOne will start declining even more than it already is.
Sony needs to fulfill gaming needs of people in all those 100+ countries that XOne doesn't sell in.

Neo will sell to those who are ready to shell out base price. Its not going to bring new customers in the line.. You expand your market only by lowering the price
So i am saying are there 20 million people, who are ready to spend atleast $299... i have some reservation on it..

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
At this point, it'd be foolish to bet against them.

It depends, if a huge chunk of the 20m is them expecting most PS4 owners to buy a Neo, then good luck, lol.

But I don't think that's the case. Given how well the PS4 sells, I think the (not gigantic) bump in expectations is more about bringing in new customers.

truth411

To the huge amount of casuals who end up buying the game on brand name alone, that reveal won't matter one iota. GT6 was a flop by its franchise's standards, yet still managed to sell close to 5 mil.

mah man
That's because it came out during the ps4 launch. GT6 is a great Sim. Also the genre isn't as popular today, as it was in the past.

Price cut, PS VR, big games, new model... I don't know what it is, but Sony became damn confident with the PlayStation business.

135 fucking billion yen, it's way more than any other division should do this year according to Sony, financial services aside. Sony is betting on video game more than ever before.

Some things worth noting :

- While it's not affecting the video game business, the Kumamoto earthquakes will hurt Sony Corp badly with 115 billion yen of operating loss across Devices and Imaging Products segments, though this does not includes expected insurance recoveries. As a result, Sony target only 80 billion yen net income for the fiscal year (compared to 148 billion yen last year).

- The mobile business could be back in the black with a tiny 5 billion yen operating income. Sony Mobile is targeting 20 million smartphone for the year, so mobile shipment = console shipment.

That's because it came out during the ps4 launch. GT6 is a great Sim. Also the genre isn't as popular today, as it was in the past.

Sure, we all know the reason why GT6 suffered sales wise. So if anything, that puts GT Sport at an advantage compared to its previous entry.

truth411

It depends, if a huge chunk of the 20m is them expecting most PS4 owners to buy a Neo, then good luck, lol.

But I don't think that's the case. Given how well the PS4 sells, I think the (not gigantic) bump in expectations is more about bringing in new customers.
If you don't own a ps4 yet then a 4.2tflop ps4 for $399 would be very attractive.

I-hate-u

To the huge amount of casuals who end up buying the game on brand name alone, that reveal won't matter one iota. GT6 was a flop by its franchise's standards, yet still managed to sell close to 5 mil.

mah man

I think the current consumer of games is much more educated than before. Even if it's a mega franchise like GT, if an entry is not up to standards, it will affect sales from the casuals imo.

Price cut is a given for standard PS4. For PS4 Neo I think Sony will treat it like a new system release with huge marketing push. This with exclusives will push the system sales.

HooYaH

Price cut, PS VR, big games, new model... I don't know what it is, but Sony became damn confident with the PlayStation business.

135 billion fucking billion yen, it's way more than any other division should do this year according to Sony, financial services aside. Sony is betting on video game more than ever before.

Some things worth noting :

- While it's not affecting the video game business, the Kumamoto earthquakes will hurt Sony COrpbadly with 115 billion yen of operating loss across Devices and Imaging Products segments, though this does not includes expected insurance recoveries. As a result, Sony target only 80 billion yen net income for the fiscal year (compared to 148 billion yen last year).

- The mobile business could be back in the black with a tiny 5 billion yen operating income. Sony Mobile is targeting 20 million smartphone for the year, so mobile shipment = console shipment.

Yea the earthquake affected their camera division with Apple which may go to LG as their supplier for their upcoming phone.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Uncharted 4, Horizion, The Last Guardian, Gran Turismo Sport, No Man's Sky, and a slew of the usual suspects such as UbiOpenworld, EAshooter and Call of Duty. It's a good year for selling consoles. So much good hype going into the year is good value to consumers. Even if they end up only buying a title or two.

Yup can definitely see them hitting this.Interesting to see how much of that is made up of Neo sales,if indeed it does launch this year.

They also need more big hitting games,E3 is close,sooo close now

Qvoth

20 million new ps4 owners just in this year?
Don't see that happening unless they do a craaaazy price cut

Maybe Germany has been some kind of testing ground for price drops, there have been A LOT of PS4 deals at around 250€ recently, from Amazon and other major retailers. I don't think a $249 price is out of the question.

geordiemp

I think Ps4k will see a sales spike, imagine out of 50 million owners say 20 % decide they want one.

The issue for Sony is if 5 million of those customers trade in or ebay their old Ps4, that will effect new buyer numbers from stores.

Also I dont see VR sales broken out. Thats some decent numbers right there.

Am I the only one that noticed?

No forecast for the PS Vita.

TN-xlD.gif

Maybe Germany has been some kind of testing ground for price drops, there have been A LOT of PS4 deals at around 250€ recently, from Amazon and other major retailers. I don't think a $249 price is out of the question.

I fully expect at a minimum a 249.99 PS4 this holiday season if the PS4 Slim comes out, which I suspect will to take advantage of FinFET. We were already down to 299.99 last year and process shrinks tend to be the biggest way to save money on building console SoC's.

199.99 for the holidays may not even be totally out of the realm of reality, if I remember right the jump from 28nm that the current consoles use to the current FinFET tech is like a 1.5 generation jump in terms of processes, since 22nm got skipped.

I wonder how big of a month they expect May to be with Uncharted 4 hitting and all.

They likely expect the holiday season to be huge as they should have Horizon and TLG this year along with Final FANTASY which is associated with the Playstation brand and other holiday titles hitting. June could see a boost if No Mans Sky lives up to the hype.

No doubt it's an expectation due to hit titles coming out and new hardware in the 4K. It's only a few million more then per usual so it's not too crazy to plan for. And this is going into April of 2017 so who knows what else hits by then. Maybe God of WAR 4?

Neo will sell to those who are ready to shell out base price. Its not going to bring new customers in the line.. You expand your market only by lowering the price
So i am saying are there 20 million people, who are ready to spend atleast $299... i have some reservation on it..

Waiting for the Neo and Gran Turismo. Probably a good few million just like me still. If PS4 can keep its momentum then 20 mill is possible.

Abounder

Banned
Virtual Reality has been an even bigger hit than what the industry expected if the long wait times on current orders are of any indication, Sony's stuff will fly off the shelves and will be the major retail presence. I expect kiosks everywhere

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe

135 billion fucking billion yen, it's way more than any other division should do this year according to Sony, financial services aside. Sony is betting on video game more than ever before.

Well said, you had me at "big games."

Not interested in the Neo idea personally, but if they can support my 2013 model throughout the gen with more of that Sony goodness I'll be happy. Ratchet & Clank (partner developed I know but Sony's funding, IP, and publishing) and Uncharted 4 was an insane combo and were met with great sales too. Hopefully more big games like them factor into that 20 million.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Even if Neo is only modestly popular relatively to the existing SKU, repeat purchases should give a one-off boost to the overall figures in its first FY vs if there was no new SKU. A boost that could be in the (low) millions. Repeat purchases should be higher with something like Neo than a traditional 'slim' revision.

Maybe also expecting FFVII:R this FY. That will definitely move hardware.

Lol maybe Q3 or 4 FY 2017, I can see kingdom hearts dropping before that. It would surprise me if it didn't release till 2018 with consoles being forward and backward compatible there really isn't a need to release all episodes on the ps4 they can stretch it out into the 2020s if it's in 3 parts.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
If Sony thinks they can reach 20 million PS4s shipped in the just-started FY, this means they have things planned that they believe will help the console's shipments to rise 2.3 millions compared to last FY's shipments. Something like PS4K/Neo is probably a major part of that plan, it surely has much more possibilities of driving hardware adoption than a $399.99 accessory like PSVR, IMHO.

That and a possible price cut for the OG PS4. If PS4K is 399.99$, the OG will go at 299.99.

Love the 'and more games coming????' like it's some sort of complete shock they haven't gone bankrupt or something. But it wouldn't be noobie without a backhanded compliment.

On-topic: It's been a good year for them in terms of games, so I don't see the momentum slowing any time soon. They'll hit that target, I believe.

You've completely read that in the way you wanted, I think he's just literally asking 'and more games coming?' like, games we haven't had confirmed as releasing in this financial year.

Elios83

You think the PS4 Neo - an upgraded PS4, is going to sell for $299?

I think Sony comes short of this goal. They'll need a strong holiday in terms of sales and software to reach that number. They'll come close, unless they do a drastic price cut later this year.

I wouldn't be shocked, the upgrades quite frankly have been vastly overstated for the simple fact they exist but they look like nothing more than a side benefit of switching to the 14nm process.
Even with the extra CUs and the higher clock the new APU might be smaller and consume less than the 28nm chip.
In the past hardware revisions also brought upgrades+price down together, especially on the portable front (PSP 2000 had double the memory and CPU clock increased but certainly wasn't positioned like a premium model,Vita 2000 had added internal storage, longer battery life with a 50$ price cut).
But most importantly it's a bit weird that while PS4 Neo specs have been unveiled in detail,there are zero rumors about the current PS4 going Slim and having its APU being shrinked to 14nm. All the action seems to be on the Neo front but if they can't shrink the current APU it's also unlikely they can cut the price on the current PS4 model which is as good as saying that they don't have a long term plan for the current model to stay and their focus has shifted elsewhere.
Then we have this forecast number which is huge, we're talking about the LTD installed base of the XB1 in a single year and again they're not taking these forecasts lightly, they have also considered the negative impact of the earthquake on production numbers and the fact that their stock price has been really sensitive about downward revisions which hurt the perception they're turning around as a company.
Great games are of course very important and they'll have many this year, PSVR is totallt niche, they'll ship 2m units this calendar year in the most optimistic case so I don't think it will have any meaningful impact on selling 20m PS4s.
These numbers are clearly justified by some strong hardware news + price cut. At this point I don't see the Neo debuting at more than the current retail price which is 349$ with a possibility to go down to 299$ once current stock has been cleared.
We'll see though, I might be totally wrong ;P

This is for the Fiscal Year, Horizon can be delayed to 2017 and be released before April 2017.

Sony usually launch a strong game on Feb/March, we can count with Horizon being this game.

I think releasing 1st party games in the non holiday season is the right way to go. I don't want new IP's or niche games to be crushed by CoD, AC or Battlefield.

Top Bottom