• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl: First Look (~6 minutes of clips from the upcoming Fall CBS show)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, they can't. Not in a tv show with 20+ episodes per year. You can make them interesting in short standalone stories. A movie, a short comic run. But longterm it never works.
That's total bullshit. The good guys don't lose in any real way no matter how powerful they are. If they lose or die, it's a temporary thing that happens as part of a specific story, and it can happen to Superman as easily as it can happen to someone with no powers at all. If comics were written realistically based on people's power levels, every character without powers would be dead in two issues, but that's not how comics are written. The idea that Superman is too powerful to be interesting is based on the faulty premise that there are stakes and a level of tension in books with less powerful characters that don't exist in a Superman book, and that very much misrepresents other comics.

Wiktor

That's total bullshit. The good guys don't lose in any real way no matter how powerful they are. If they lose or die, it's a temporary thing that happens as part of a specific story, and it can happen to Superman as easily as it can happen to someone with no powers at all. If comics were written realistically based on people's power levels, every character without powers would be dead in two issues, but that's not how comics are written. The idea that Superman is too powerful to be interesting is based on the faulty premise that there are stakes and a level of tension in books with less powerful characters that don't exist in a Superman book, and that very much misrepresents other comics.

Superheres loose on tv shows plenty of times. Civilians get killed, beloved characters end up dead too. TV shows can't operate on the never ending status quo that american superhero comics do. Comic readers accepted that nonsense because they had no other choice. TV audience doesn't have to put up with that crap.

Also..what the hell are you talking about realistic power levels? Even Superman often gets stakes and tension by introducing characters that can hurt him. Especially lately. So why do you expect Supergirl's villains to all be a lot weaker than her when this doesn't even happen in Superman's comicbooks?

It's not like they will be downraging Supergirl to some street vigilante level. She's still bulletproof badass that can lift a damn plane. You won't see badguys on the level of those from Arrow ever becoming a direct physical threat to her. Any bruisers she face will be far more powerful and low-level enemies will be schemers, not fighters.

Maybe you would like to see a action show where the hero just shows up and beats everyone without breaking a sweat. But you're in monority. Even comicbooks moved away from this kind of stories.

Superheres loose on tv shows plenty of times. Civilians get killed, beloved characters end up dead too. TV shows can't operate on the never ending status quo that american superhero comics do. Comic readers accepted that nonsense because they had no other choice. TV audience doesn't have to put up with that crap.

Also..what the hell are you talking about realistic power levels? Even Superman often gets stakes and tension by introducing characters that can hurt him. Especially lately. So why do you expect Supergirl's villains to all be a lot weaker than her when this doesn't even happen in Superman's comicbooks?

It's not like they will be downraging Supergirl to some street vigilante level. She's still bulletproof badass that can lift a damn plane. You won't see badguys on the level of those from Arrow ever becoming a direct physical threat to her. Any bruisers she face will be far more powerful and low-level enemies will be schemers, not fighters.

Maybe you would like to see a action show where the hero just shows up and beats everyone without breaking a sweat. But you're in monority. Even comicbooks moved away from this kind of stories.
But we all know the main hero will win in the end. For most stories in fiction this is true. He/she may lose loved ones or fail once or twice but at the end of the day they win.
The small stories and interactions in between the big supervillain battles are why I read/watch superhero fiction.

Wiktor

But we all know the main hero will win in the end. For most stories in fiction this is true. He/she may lose loved ones or fail once or twice but at the end of the day they win.
Sure, but most people enjoy the journey itself. They want to see the hero struggle and then overcome the adversity. The destination of the journey is just end product of that. This is why nobody who reads crime novels just skips to the last page to see who the killer is :)

Altough, this is modern tv we're talking about. There's a level on uprectability that the audience expects. If Arrow's season 1 can end at bassicaly almost total failure of hero to stop the evil dude's plot then everything can happen :)

Sure, but most people enjoy the journey itself. They want to see the hero struggle and then overcome the adversity. The destination of the journey is just end product of that. This is why nobody who reads crime novels just skips to the last page to see who the killer is :)

Altough, this is modern tv we're talking about. There's a level on uprectability that the audience expects. If Arrow's season 1 can end at bassicaly almost total failure of hero to stop the evil dude's plot then everything can happen :)
I not saying it would be for every story but it can be accepted by tv viewers and other media than comics. You said it yourself the journey is what matters to people. So who cares if killer is revealed in the first eps or the hero can't be beaten. Heroes can overcome so many other adversity than the ability of being beaten up by villains.

http://imgur.com/a/vMxC5

Vfl2XOQ.jpg
44fQ15U.jpg
EtqYfCa.jpg
UHr0JWK.jpg
iWCmaq4.jpg

Wiktor

I not saying it would be for every story but it can be accepted by tv viewers and other media than comics. You said it yourself the journey is what matters to people. So who cares if killer is revealed in the first eps or the hero can't be beaten. Heroes can overcome so many other adversity than the ability of being beaten up by villains.

Maybe. But I sure wouldn;t watch that show. Superheroes are about beaiting people up and cool excting action to me. If I want different kind of adversities I go to other genres which do this stuff a lot better than superheroes do.

Guys I keep falling in love with Melissa Benoist send help
She's best part the show.
Maybe. But I sure wouldn;t watch that show. Superheroes are about beaiting people up and cool excting action to me. If I want different kind of adversities I go to other genres which do this stuff a lot better than superheroes do.
I mean it's ok if you don't want to watch that type of show but superheros haven't stay around by just being about people beating each other up. I guess I just have a problem with what you said because it implied that superhero can't have the narrative depth of other fiction when they have before and continue to.

"Superman" had 10 years of failing in Smallville, and was the biggest jobber during the first season of Justice League.

The entire point of Smallville is he wasn't Superman, he was Clark Kent, with underdeveloped or entirely missing powers, bullets bruise him in the early seasons, he didn't discover heat vision until he got hot under the collar, he couldn't even fly and so on.

But even then, most of his 'losses' come from facing a new enemy with abilities he never encountered before, but he then adapts to the new gimmick enemy of the week and kicks their ass, like most shows of its type.

Supergirl is not Smallville. She is Supergirl, right out the gate, fully powered. Yet she gets her ass handed to her in a fair fight with no gimmick and has to be rescued by the flipping military? And of course this is after said military takes her down, captures her and depowers her with no effort at all. She only beats the bad guy because he decided to become an idiot at the right moment.

It's just a crap way to introduce a character, she isn't just getting her powers and learning them, she isn't an intentionally gimped version of the character, it's "Here's you brand new Superhero...who's really weak despite having ridiculously strong powers"

MartyStu

The entire point of Smallville is he wasn't Superman, he was Clark Kent, with underdeveloped or entirely missing powers, bullets bruise him in the early seasons, he didn't discover heat vision until he got hot under the collar, he couldn't even fly and so on.

But even then, most of his 'losses' come from facing a new enemy with abilities he never encountered before, but he then adapts to the new gimmick enemy of the week and kicks their ass, like most shows of its type.

Supergirl is not Smallville. She is Supergirl, right out the gate, fully powered. Yet she gets her ass handed to her in a fair fight with no gimmick and has to be rescued by the flipping military? And of course this is after said military takes her down, captures her and depowers her with no effort at all. She only beats the bad guy because he decided to become an idiot at the right moment.

It's just a crap way to introduce a character, she isn't just getting her powers and learning them, she isn't an intentionally gimped version of the character, it's "Here's you brand new Superhero...who's really weak despite having ridiculously strong powers"

Well, she does not really know how to fight, so it makes sense that she would lose to skilled opponents in her league.

She isn't Supergirl in the same sense as Superman wasn't Superman in MoS.

Both have been hiding their abilities and told not to use them. She's just starting to push herself in the first episode and she insane development.

She goes from struggling to fly and gold her own iin a fight to using her heat ray and beating the crap out of the alien guy.

It's not that different to the first fight Supes has with Faora. Dude gets bodied hard.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Well, she does not really know how to fight, so it makes sense that she would lose to skilled opponents in her league.

Yeah...having the Power is one thing, knowing how to use it is something else. It will take some time for her to get used to since has held back for so long.

You're arguing with things I didn't say and mostly ignoring the points I made, so I don't really know what to do with this.

Wiktor

You're arguing with things I didn't say and mostly ignoring the points I made, so I don't really know what to do with this.

Well..you did exactly the same thing (writing long post that has little in common to what I wrote), so I thought it would do you good to see how this feels like.

Production has officially started on the show: Supergirl Flies Into Production: Photos From The First Day On Set

The official Facebook page mentions that there will be a set video posted soon.

Edit 1: There was a new promo, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0C57biF2kI

It's pretty much just the scene about Supergirl not being called Superwoman. It does have this neat shot at the end, though:

Edit 2: Another promo (I think it's the same one that's playing in theaters right now): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEmyqyCJrZg

Melissa Benoist also surprised fans at a special screening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFNS99AStl0

Luigi87

Production has officially started on the show: Supergirl Flies Into Production: Photos From The First Day On Set

It's pretty much just the scene about Supergirl not being called Superwoman. It does have this neat shot at the end, though:

Edit 2: Another promo (I think it's the same one that's playing in theaters right now): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEmyqyCJrZg

Melissa Benoist also surprised fans at a special screening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFNS99AStl0
She has such a fantastic smile. Just expresses joy.

Not bad. I'd only seen her in Whiplash and when it was announced that she was playing Kara I was like...

giphy.gif

But she really looks the part now

obin_gam

Just saw the pilot, and it was decent.
I really like the happy-go-lucky feeling everything had, especially as a contrast to the cheesy Flash and the grimdark Arrow.

They really need to fix
the what seems to be a villain of the week structure they're going for if the ending was any hint. And am not a fan of the "Not S.H.I.E.L.D." thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom