• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MACROSS (pronounced Delta) ~~ ~~

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Macross
2. Plus
3. Frontier
4. 7 (not watched it yet, I guess you can swap with frontier)
5. Zero
6. Delta
7. Macross II
I wouldn't rate M7 until watching that if I were you. It ended up being fun, but it took a bit for it to get there. It really should've been a lot shorter.

I've got it downloaded, but I have to be in the right mood to watch old shows.

My expectations for it are high though.
Still the best triangle in the franchise. Only one rivaling is Sheryl and Alto. And yeah you'll see why I'm pissed about how they handled Mirage for a very good reason as well.

Shun

I wonder what kind of perspective you have on romance if you think Frontier is supposed to be some good metric of relationships and love triangles. you became a fan of the franchise like two months ago.

Liking Sheryl and Alto doesn't mean you like the love triangle. You just like Sheryl fucking with Alto's limp dick and him not knowing what to do like the piece of shit he is.

A lot of my disdain for Frontier comes from watching the theatrical film before the TV anime.

Like I have less issues with movie, I think it's okay, but having seen TV after it really made me dislike it a lot more.

I wonder what kind of perspective you have on romance if you think Frontier is supposed to be some good metric of relationships and love triangles. you became a fan of the franchise like two months ago.

A lot of my disdain for Frontier comes from watching the theatrical film before the TV anime.

Like I have less issues with movie, I think it's okay, but having seen TV after it really made me dislike it a lot more.
Ummm....How can I say this. I've liked Macross longer than two months ago. I grew up watching Macross in the 90's in the form of Robotech and even though it's not the original form of Macross it's a decent enough retelling of said Macross events. I watched Plus after that and didn't really get exposed to M7 and Frontier till this year. I tried watching M7 a couple of years back but I just couldn't. I found the characters to be fun and I liked Sheryl more than Ranka, but at the same time I don't go running around insulting Ranka either. I'm sitting here with a Sharon Apple avatar that took me almost an hour turning into a transparency cause the original art work is busy, but I love it. I've had Macross related avatars for at least about two months because I got a huge kick reexperiencing this franchise that I've liked since I was a damn kid and still discovering that I love it. I watched DYRL long before I got into this thread. Just cause I didn't kiss the ass of Delta doesn't mean I don't like the franchise. I watched pretty much everything Macross 7 even the side stories, even got around to the Frontier movies cause guess what I like Frontier, I'm not the only one in here that likes Frontier, I found that shit fun. My first thought with Sheryl was "Why is Sheryl such a bitch" and eventually I found her to be this great fun, sassy ass character, the woman had layers. All three of my favorite Macross women had layers. Misa and Sheryl had layers and so did Miria. My favorite part of Miria's personality isn't that of her as this killer bad ass pilot it's of her being this goofy, shameless woman that's a Mayor of Macross City that also happens to be a badass pilot. Macross 7 Miria is an awesome character and when they opened up her personality I loved her. I know it might be hard to decipher from my posts, but I didn't hate Delta, I just didn't love it cause it faltered on the characters a bit and yeah it faltered the most on my favorite character and I'm salty about it, but just cause I'm salty on the handling of Mirage it doesn't exactly give you the right to assume I've only been a Macross fan for two months. In art class I drew half ass Valks in gerwalk mode as a fucking kid. Edit: Just checked. According to Amazon I bought the Robotech Protoculture Collection on Feburary 1st 2006. It was probably one of my first anime collections along with Escaflowne, Trigun, Evangelion and probably Gundam Wing. Also one of my favorite anime ships is Ayato Kamina and Haruka Shitow from Rahxephon. I think it's one of the sweetest ships.

Shun

I mean considering that you've been marathoning shit for the past couple months and have such black and white opinion on things as GOAT GOAT GOAT and GARBAGE GARBAGE GARBAGE, it's really hard to take some stuff seriously. Especially when you keep with the character sexual fantasy shit that you have both on here and on the gundam thread.

It's really a combination of that and posting a lot of the same stuff over and over again that makes me really want to push your buttons.

I mean considering that you've been marathoning shit for the past couple months and have such black and white opinion on things as GOAT GOAT GOAT and GARBAGE GARBAGE GARBAGE, it's really hard to take some stuff seriously. Especially when you keep with the character sexual fantasy shit that you have both on here and on the gundam thread.

It's really a combination of that and posting a lot of the same stuff over and over again that makes me really want to push your buttons.
My most recent marathoned anime was Hunter x Hunter, which isn't shit. I don't have a black and white quality scale either, there are hints of grey. On top of that I love pushing other people buttons. It's very easy for me to tell when I'm just being a habitual line stepper and when I'm actually voicing my opinion. If I'm actually typing out a rather thought out character analysis I'm being serious. I like female fan art so sue me. Being single as fuck isn't exactly helping either. Wait a minute if you pay attention to what I write in the Gundam thread you should know I'm not nuts. I'm one of the only people on there that would actually rather discuss the characters and their actions over Gunpla. I also really do just happen to like joking about certain things cause some aspects of it really just crack me the fuck up. Also now that I think about it considering how I like Macross 7 kind of proves that I'm not black and white since a lot of people really do not like it. I just don't like Basara and even him I got used to.

I dunno I mean I mean I'm a long time Macross fan, 20+ years and also love Robotech as it's own thing and I've got to say my impression is that Delta is absolute garbage. The world of Frontier is magnitudes more realized compared to Delta. Delta felt like it couldn't commit to anything. It wanted to be about a girl band but barely did anything with the characters. Vefidas from 7 felt like she had more development outside of anyone besides Kaname and she only just barely edges that out.

The series just went through the motions. It had to have a love triangle but didn't do anything with it. It had to have the death of a pilot but it felt so obvious and forced; even Kinryu from 7 felt meaningful, impactful. His sacrifice saved Battle 7 and the fleet. I knew Messer was going to die the first time I saw him and his death was effectively meaningless. The mystery of Mikumo fell flat aside from the revelation that Megaroad 1 survived and even then that was barely explored and probably won't be.

Another sin was how pointless every battle felt. It was less a war and more a sentai style battle between two teams where nothing ever happened except the inevitable retreat and "I'll get you next time!!!" (at least when Khyron did this, you had tons of Zentraedi and Humans dying in the battle)

Lore wise the seeming perversion of the Un Spacey into a borderline genocidal regime was... I don't know. I feel like they could have explored this more. I honestly felt like they were being framed and the fact that we're just supposed to accept that they're evil now kind of bothers me. No exploration of a government that survived near extinction becoming that which it had launched dozens of colony ships to the stars to insure never happened again. Just a casual "Oh yeah they were going to drop super weapons on civilians over a local cluster dispute." Why has this change happened? Is something going to be done about it? Who knows it'll probably never be touched on again and the Spacey will be perfectly fine next series.

I'm now watching Macross Zero, intro dog fight was pretty good. The red valk looks to be a prototype of some sort of what Brera Stern had for some odd reason. Is Sheryl related to Mao and Sara Nome? What is Roy doing not sporting his trademark permatan?

Elandyll

Banned
I'm now watching Macross Zero, intro dog fight was pretty good. The red valk looks to be a prototype of some sort of what Brera Stern had for some odd reason. Is Sheryl related to Mao and Sara Nome? What is Roy doing not sporting his trademark permatan?

Sheryl Nome is
Mao Nome's biological granddaughter, from whom she inherited her fold quartz earrings.

Sheryl Nome is
Mao Nome's biological granddaughter, from whom she inherited her fold quartz earrings.
Nice continuity touch. Lol Shin pointed a love letter to some old man. "Be delicate and daring at the same time." Good ol' Roy, makes me wonder how he handled Claudia...I don't think he was delicate... I find it hard to believe that one of Sheryl's ancestors doesn't appreciate music, but it seemed to happen with Mirage so it happens. these Mayans are borderline Moon Moon level fanatics. Dat first VF-0 transformation, Roy is fucking beasting it!!!

i got 3 of Keith's and 2 hayate 31J's on order, i'm so freaking hyped for these delta toys =)
9KW2YV1.jpg

vf-0 armor coming soon!
aud8TOD.jpg

deim0s

You can say that every valk in Zero is the start of every transforming aircraft in the series. The red valk is made by Sukhoi and Brera's VF is made by Galaxy Fleet or something - and more likely be a modified/improved version of the VF-25.

Dat first VF-0 transformation, Roy is fucking beasting it!!!

When I saw that back when Zero was first being subbed I lost my God damn mind at just how awesome-slash-badass it was. It really made you feel the raw power of these variable fighters in a way that alot of the series actually fail to achieve. I was also a huge fan of the Shin/Nora dogfight, the sort of maneuvers they were making to edge out their adversary just enough to line up a kill shot. You could see the stresses they were undergoing as they pushed themselves and their craft. (Not even Delta achieved this feeling with their dancing on the wind stuff, imo).

That stuff alone makes me appreciate Zero. Also, Mao is adorable.

deim0s

When I saw that back when Zero was first being subbed I lost my God damn mind at just how awesome-slash-badass it was. It really made you feel the raw power of these variable fighters in a way that alot of the series actually fail to achieve. I was also a huge fan of the Shin/Nora dogfight, the sort of maneuvers they were making to edge out their adversary just enough to line up a kill shot. You could see the stresses they were undergoing as they pushed themselves and their craft. (Not even Delta achieved this feeling with their dancing on the wind stuff, imo).

I wish the next Macross will be back into the space/war drama to see more mecha (and more pilot shenanigans) with equal parts triangle/music.

Yeah the dogs fights have been excellent so far. I only finished the first ep cause I was pretty tired by the time I started the second ep so just stopped. Why's this hated again? I actually like Mao and Sara so far.

It seems like Delta borrowed a lot of elements from Zero. The destructive powers of song, a culture talking about wind nonsense a good amount of protoculture lore, lots of in atmosphere dogfights, but toned way the fuck down in Delta though. Ivanov, Roy and Nora are beasts. Either Sara is very strong or Shin is very light. One thing I'm finding interesting is how Shin seems to be spending an equal amount of time and learning a good amount with Sara and Mao. It's not biased solely towards one woman, which was one of the main problems I had with Delta. I watch Macross for dogfights and character development within the women in the ship. Hayate never really got a chance to be stranded with or just hang out with Mirage and have Mirage open up to him and one of the only times it was just him and Mirage it was so he could go out and figure out what to buy Freyja for her birthday. Mirage just became a vessel to assist Hayate's dumb ass on how to get Freyja and a character in a love triangle shouldn't exist for that. There scene where Shin sings with and for Sara is pretty sweet, he really cares about her. The beginning of Nora vs Shin in ep 5 was an excellent showcase of thrust vectoring. Mystical bullshit ending aside I actually enjoyed this. Seems like Nora and Ivanov were OP as fuck so they pretty much had the birdman thing kill them, kind of an asspull. Do they ever say what happens to Sara?

Delta feels like the spiritual successor to Zero in the same way that Frontier does to OG Macross, to me.

As to Sara,
she was poochied
Delta got everything from Zero except the displays of good piloting skills. I feel like Roy, Nora and Ivanov can kick the shit out of Delta platoon in those dinosaur ass prototypes they were piloting. I guess she went back to her home planet...or collided into the fucking Megaroad 1 at some point.

Korigama

Ranking time, huh? Well, I've only seen four at this point, so...

Plus >= Frontier = SDF > Delta

I don't regret watching Delta, but it was only okay at best. Such massively wasted potential.

shoot! i just read back this thread...

damn Shun, you have so hate for tv frontier...

Jaded is flaunting Macross avatars now =) i say, the more macross fans jumping on board the better.(although i'm not into the character sexual fantasy) let's all be happy Macross francise is alive and well.

i say season 2 or movie is needed.
if it happens, i call:
-Lady-M played by Iijima finally revealed
-Messer alive and gets Reina (alternate movie)
-Chuck gets a girl

Zero, i really don't like retcon stuff, like the earrings. i so want the reactive armor and hope arcadia releases a Cannon fodder vf-0d grey scheme.

shoot! i just read back this thread...

damn Shun, you have so hate for tv frontier...

Jaded is flaunting Macross avatars now =) i say, the more macross fans jumping on board the better.(although i'm not into the character sexual fantasy) let's all be happy Macross francise is alive and well.

i say season 2 or movie is needed.
if it happens, i call:
-Lady-M played by Iijima finally revealed
-Messer alive and gets Reina (alternate movie)
-Chuck gets a girl

Zero, i really don't like retcon stuff, like the earrings. i so want the reactive armor and hope arcadia releases a Cannon fodder vf-0d grey scheme.
I was going to do a Mirage, but this Sharon Apple art work was to die for I love it. I've liked Macross since I was a kid, I just ended up refalling in love with it this year since I got more open minded about watching the other shows. I'll thank Delta for that, but quality wise I just found it lacking. I'm on like my forth Macross avatar. I have a Mirage in waiting, might even do a couple of more of her if I find the right artwork. I want another Miria and Sheryl...maybe even a Sara, she was nice. So far I think I've done...two Sheryl's? a Captain Mira, two Misa's and a Sharon Apple. I guess I should try for a Myung as well, though she's not fave tier or anything. I probably just want to keep it to my faves. It's not about sexual fantasies with me either since I genuinely do like a lot of the female characters since Macross usually tends to do them both justice, I just felt that Mirage was highly slighted on that front since I'm used to both parts of the ship getting fleshed out. Miria got a ton of characterization that's why she's one of my faves. She can be goofy, serious, protective, stern, she can be many things and she does them well and frankly goofy Miria's my favorite part of her. I mean Shun thinks I flat out hated the show for all of it. I didn't, I just really felt the second half of the show was really uneven. Once I got used to how they were doing the first half I liked it, I just feel they misstepped on the second half. As I said last page I would've liked the flashbacks in the finale to be their own eps cause it would've grown the characters and Hayate really needed some isolation time with Mirage that wasn't Freyja related. Even Sara got that and her show was five damn eps, it just felt weird to me. Regarding Zero, that's not the Roy I'm used to, I would think after losing Aries the way he did the guy wouldn't be that much of a womanizer after the fact.

Epcott

1. SDF Macross (The number of characters and their relationships to one another still amaze me to this day)
  2. Macross Plus (Small intimate story with amazing mech designs and dog fights... and that Yoko Kanno score)
  3. Macross Frontier (A little bit of Zero, Isamu cameo, Firebomber special, this series is the great unifier)
  4. Macross 7 (One day I'll finish this. Still a classic)
  5. Macross Flashback 2012 (Meh, but its the last time we see Minmay. Would rank higher but I always wanted more footage of Megaroad and Hikaru x Misa post wedding)
  6. Macross Zero (Roy Fokker saves this from being below Delta. Always felt like an unnecessary prequel only created to give Frontier a reference)
  7. Macross Delta (Goofy from ep 1, then they sold me on the Walkure idea, then they let me down with wasted potential)
  8. Macross 2 (The only reason this is below Delta is because it's not canon)

I really need to be tied to a chair so I can commit to watching Macross II, the whole thing just felt and looked weird, even the character designs seemed too busy.

i'm jelly... it's awesome that there's a couple on here supporting the Macross Franchise with their wallets!
If I could buy Frontier stuff I would. There non hyper expensive subbed blu rays of it? I support Macross with MAH EMOSHUNS and spilling my digital blood all over the keyboard.
and bitching endlessly over my fucked over waifu

Scavenger

If I could buy Frontier stuff I would. There non hyper expensive subbed blu rays of it? I support Macross with MAH EMOSHUNS and spilling my digital blood all over the keyboard.
and bitching endlessly over my fucked over waifu
The out-of-print Macross Frontier 30th d Shudista b BOX (劇場版マクロスF 30th dシュディスタb BOX) released back in May 2014 contains the two Macross Frontier films with English subtitles, a PS3 bonus disc, and two art books. Costs about 5000-7000 yen used, plus at least another 5000 yen for shipping because the box weighs nearly 2kg. The December 2015 individual releases of the films do not have English subtitles.

Because it's OOP, buying this set used won't really support the franchise, but it's very much worth going after. I have the boxset and it's very nice.

The out-of-print Macross Frontier 30th d Shudista b BOX (劇場版マクロスF 30th dシュディスタb BOX) released back in May 2014 contains the two Macross Frontier films with English subtitles, a PS3 bonus disc, and two art books. Costs about 5000-7000 yen used, plus at least another 5000 yen for shipping because the box weighs nearly 2kg. The December 2015 individual releases of the films do not have English subtitles.

Because it's OOP, buying this set used won't really support the franchise, but it's very much worth going after. I have the boxset and it's very nice.
Tony Stark I need it gif. I'm going to need a link for this..wait is that 500 bucks?

it's about 50-70 bucks USD
yeah totally recommend the set Scavenger posted bc it has english subs here's a picture of mine
OnxnGrDm.jpg

Catching up on the thread...

I dropped off of Delta after ep13, need to get back into it and watch the second half.

As far as Macross merch is concerned...I missed out on the DX Chogokin Draken pre-order, oh well...maybe other versions might come out later on.

If anything, I did place a pre-order on a Macross Cospa track jacket =)

GOODS-00112503.jpg

I also picked up the Robotech VF-1S hoodie a couple of months ago:

robotech2-594x600.jpg

Honestly other than something like Anime Expo I don't know if I can ever wear the Robotech hoodie outside lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom