• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

superbrothers: sword & sworcery ep | 2011 Indie Hype

kenta

Has no PEINS
It seems like people have been talking/tweeting about Sword and Sorcery for ages, I could have sworn there was even a 1UP Show segment on it... was that all the same game? This game? Or was there a previous game?

hyp

kenta said:
It seems like people have been talking/tweeting about Sword and Sorcery for ages, I could have sworn there was even a 1UP Show segment on it... was that all the same game? This game? Or was there a previous game?
nope, this is it finally. it's taken a while to develop.

iRXBSMX

A storm is coming.

Man this is the first "game" where I stood in one spot hoping/waiting to see if the music would change and going back just to be double sure I didn't miss anything. Finished session one going to sleep. Enjoying the heck out of the experience.

I'm still at the office trying to get our launch trailer done for tomorrow EOD... but instead i am watching us almost trend on twitter, posting on GAF and realizing that what started as me and Superbrothers yelling at each other while drunk at a 1UP party has turned into something i am really proud of.

Also, for any newcomers, here's the app store link.

kenta

Has no PEINS
hyp said:
nope, this is it finally. it's taken a while to develop.
Cool, thanks

Do we know if this app will simply be updated to be a universal iPhone/iPad app in April? Or is the iPhone version a completely different purchase?

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Sigh.. It's so beautiful. Enjoy you lucky iPad owning punks. Now to count down the days til it releases on iPhone and weep. :(
Yup, seriously jealous of all you iPad owning schmucks.

I really hope this doesn't become a trend in iOS gaming, releasing the iPad version weeks before the iPhone version. This trend already blows with PSN & XBLA releases.

Guess I'll say goodbye to this thread for the next 30 odd days.

bob page

Just finished session one.... wow.

This game seriously has some of the best audio design I've seen in a long time. Not to mention it's amazing to look at. My heart really got pumping at the first "real" battle.

Fusebox

Banned
Reluctant-Hero said:
I really hope this doesn't become a trend in iOS gaming, releasing the iPad version weeks before the iPhone version. This trend already blows with PSN & XBLA releases.

I disagree, it beats buying the iPhone version only to see the superior iPad version released a week later.

bob page

SteveO409 said:
Wow Im getting twitter spammed by this from all the people I follow....getting annoying >_>
I'm sure it will subside... people are just being obnoxious with it right now to promote its release.

LaneDS

Literally the first and only time I've wanted an iPad after over a year of indifference. Urgh.

Enjoy, iPad owners. Will be picking it up with the iPhone masses next month and trying to steer clear of this thread until then to remain semi-unspoiled.

Jonnyram

bob page said:
I'm sure it will subside... people are just being obnoxious with it right now to promote its release.
So promoting a game you think deserves love is obnoxious? I see.
I hope this tag trends and sells a shitload for you guys, because you've clearly but so much devotion and love into it over the past year or more.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
#6 Paid iPad app! Amazing, considering the price point. I know $5 is a crazy steal. I'm just saying.

I'll be buying it this weekend. Can't wait <3

taoofjord

The graphics are beautiful in motion and will surprise you the first time you load up the game (no matter how many screenshots of the game you've seen). The music, too... really, the whole thing is just stunning.

I finished the first session and the sense of pure adventure and strong atmosphere was almost tangible... even though the game is, and isn't, taking itself all that seriously. I'm a big Robert E. Howard fan and I can't shake the feeling that I'm playing a Conan game.

Gameplay-wise, I have no idea yet. Obviously Session I was an introduction, and since I haven't read any previews I have no idea what layers are added to the game, if any, later on. I like the ambient exploration with some combat feel, though it is a little frustrating walking off the beaten path to find nothing of interest (yet?) and then have to walk all the way back to the main road.

My one possible gripe, however, and since I'm still early this may be a little unfair as I'm still figuring out the rhythm and tone this game has... is the talking/voice acting as well as the writing. It seems like it's trying to be a little too clever for its own good. The writing itself feels a bit too over-the-top common hipster for my tastes, but maybe that will click for me later on. After beating the game, and if it still doesn't click, I'd definitely like to hear from the developers what they were going for with this.

Anyway, the game is obviously one of the absolute must-buys for iOS device owners. It's clearly the end product of a great vision shared by a group of talented artists much like Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, and Katamari Damacy are. And what a vision it is. It's all too rare to see a game on the iOS platform, or any other platform, with this kind of artistic integrity.

GDJustin said:
#6 Paid iPad app! Amazing, considering the price point. I know $5 is a crazy steal. I'm just saying.

I'll be buying it this weekend. Can't wait <3
Wow. Just. Just wow.

taoofjord said:
Lots of great stuff, including interesting opinion
This post was great. Very appreciated commentary/viewpoint. I'll post more about the writing after the games been out for a bit, but Superbrothers (who wrote the game) was SUPER inspired by Howard. Great that some people pick that up. He's also not a hipster, he just has a unique sense of humor :)

GDJustin said:
It's actually the #12 paid app... I meant to say #6 paid game.

But still, amazing. Congrats CW. I've been following Capy ever since I reviewed Monkey on Your Back way back in 2006...

http://www.modojo.com/reviews/mobile/monkey_on_your_back/20060419/294/
I'll never forget that dude. Still one of the better games Capy has made, and you were one of the few to ever play it. You know our history better than most, and the looooong fight we had to fight to get to make Critter Crunch PSN/Clash of Heroes/Sworcery/the games we're doing now.

#6 paid game was what i was wowing about. thats pretty rad.

Tiktaalik

There is so much #sworcery in my twitter feed. It all looks like great writing. I can't wait to try it out when the iPhone version comes out.

taoofjord

Cromulent_Word said:
Wow. Just. Just wow.

This post was great. Very appreciated commentary/viewpoint. I'll post more about the writing after the games been out for a bit, but Superbrothers (who wrote the game) was SUPER inspired by Howard. Great that some people pick that up. He's also not a hipster, he just has a unique sense of humor :)

I'm really, really, really crossing my fingers that this game explodes on the App store. Aside from obviously deserving the recognition and sales I think it would be another big step forward for the App store... opening up some of the more casual consumer's eyes about what else is out there in the medium and showing other developers that may be timid about releasing their game on iOS that there's a desire for things off the beaten path.

Yeah, the inspiration the game has taken from Conan should be obvious to many, but what may not be obvious is just how perfectly the game captures the essence of Conan's world. It feels honest and loving in the best of ways and that's greatly appreciated.

Okay, back to playing...

Tons of twitter hate. Loving it. People think we're auto-spamming twitter but you actively have to choose to tweet.

Gerstmann is making up alternate game Sworcery tweets right now...

Tiktaalik

Cromulent_Word said:
Tons of twitter hate. Loving it. People think we're auto-spamming twitter but you actively have to choose to tweet.

I think it's pretty neat. It's certainly making me want to play the game.

Jonnyram

Cromulent_Word said:
Yeah, I really don't get the hate. The assumption is that you follow people you like, and they're the people that have chosen to tweet. If you don't want to read, you unfollow. How can you blame the app for the user's decision? It's like blaming gun makers for murder (almost) ;)

SuperPac

Really fantastic stuff. I love the visuals, the interface, the music... everything works so well together. Great to see a game like this that truly takes advantage of the iPad screen real estate and touch control. :) Bravo!

Jonnyram said:
Yeah, I really don't get the hate. The assumption is that you follow people you like, and they're the people that have chosen to tweet. If you don't want to read, you unfollow. How can you blame the app for the user's decision? It's like blaming gun makers for murder (almost) ;)
Yea - but really it all plays into the "twitter weaving an experiment in the form of a tale". I think the hate is an interesting, almost necessary part of it.

Essentially people are hating twitter for doing exactly what they signed up for it to do. Thats pretty meta...

Anywho, so happy with the twitter response. All this at 11pm EST, no PR firm, just handmade games that have a soul and an idea.

Spruchy

On third session loving it but done for the night. This app single handedly making twitter entertaining tonight is a much appreciated side effect.

Tiktaalik

I certainly haven't ever gotten this much tweet's from a game or even app in my feed before. Is this the first game to have tweets or have other games hand tweets from in game?

edit:

via some googling I guess Uncharted 2 and Blur had it... I guess no one on my feed played those games all that much.

Spruchy

Tiktaalik said:
I certainly haven't ever gotten this much tweet's from a game or even app in my feed before. Is this the first game to have tweets or have other games hand tweets from in game?
First game to have every line of its script tweetable certainly.

Tiktaalik

I think the big difference is that these other games handle it as more of an auto-achievement style, whereas in sworcery it's driven by player choice.

Mr Jared

Cromulent_Word said:

Here was mine-

For what felt like an eternity we waited, but the Line never arrived. Our fate sealed we thought, what's up with that? #tetrisworcery

mrkgoo

I've played through session 1 twice.

When I couldn't find how to remove a twitter account, and wanted to login to my other one, I chose to delete and reinstall.

No big loss.

Love the whole 'feel' of the game. Really superb design, especially sound. Makes me just kind of cry in the corner at how crap and unimaginative a lot of other stuff seems.

That said, I'm a big fan of those artsy pixel-game-as-art games (like Passage, Tomorrow I die another dream, or whatever it was called), so this is right up my alley.

Might be a bit early to tell, but I think this will be one of those experiences that fully legitimises iOS gaming as a 'proper' gaming platform, with original and truly engaging content. I love Angry birds and all, but the first time I really said this was when Space Miner was released.

Congrats on the release, and the brilliance in marketing and social experimentation. I wish it the best!

hyp

whew what a rush! part 1 was incredible. i'm sitting here in the dark with my sennheiser's blasting and enjoying every minute of the game. even on the smaller iPhone screen i could imagine becoming just as immersed due to the beautiful soundtrack. s&s has so far delivered a unique experience i can't recall in recent times. there's absolutely something special about its minimalism that captures the essence of childhood wonder and amazement. the entire build-up of part 1 triggered many emotional responses i haven't felt in a game in quite sometime. truly a testament to how well designed and thoughtful the game is. definitely looking forward to the rest. kudos superbrothers, job well done! i hope they become rich so we can see more of their art flourish.

Rlan said:
8th on iPad charts.

But seriously, get the iPhone version out there too. And make it work on my 3G :p
Soon Soon. After the soundtrack launches on vinyl & itunes/bandcamp.

hyp said:
whew what a rush! part 1 was incredible. i'm sitting here in the dark with my sennheiser's blasting and enjoying every minute of the game. even on the smaller iPhone screen i could imagine becoming just as immersed due to the beautiful soundtrack. s&s has so far delivered a unique experience i can't recall in recent times. there's absolutely something special about its minimalism that captures the essence of childhood wonder and amazement. the entire build-up of part 1 triggered many emotional responses i haven't felt in a game in quite sometime. truly a testament to how well designed and thoughtful the game is. definitely looking forward to the rest. kudos superbrothers, job well done! i hope they become rich so we can see more of their art flourish.
Thanks! Superbrothers/Capy/Jim would really dig getting rich... but realistically we just want the game to find a caring audience - whether they love it or loathe it :)

Top Bottom